MT-10 metal Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
What do you guys think of this product?

The keystone of the Muscle line of specialty lubricants, additives and grease is its MT-10 Metal Treatment. This product is a maximum duty, blend of semi-synthetic base oils and halogenated hydrocarbons, combined with corrosion inhibiting and anti-wear additives, that are designed and recommended for use in lubrication systems where there is a special concern for extra protection due to extreme pressure, friction-related heat, and high-wear conditions.
Carried to the moving metal parts by the oil or grease to which it is added, MT-10 smoothes and seals metal surfaces through a boundary film process to reduce friction and heat. This results in less wear and smoother operation of the mechanism with no danger of build up or changes in tolerances.
MT-10 blends well with all types of petroleum and most synthetic lubricants, enhancing the load carrying capacity and anti-wear performance of both.

MT-10 contains NO Class I or Class II Ozone depleating chemicals and has no restriction on waste oil recovery or special environmental concerns.

BEARINGS - Adding MT-10 to the existing liquid lubricant in a bearing bath, in most cases will significantly extend the useful life of all bearing surfaces and reduce metal particle fallout due to abrasive wear. MT-10 can be applied to most types of bearings, i.e., roller, tapered, ball, needle, sleeve, etc. Where a higher viscosity lubricant or grease is required, either Muscle PL-10 Power-Lift Grease TM or LP-10 Lithium EP "Plus" Grease TM is recommended. Both grease formulations contain MT-10 as part of their additive chemistry.

GEAR AND GEAR COUPLINGS - Adding MT-10 to the existing liquid lubricant or gear lube, will significantly reduce friction, heat and wear. These systems exhibit one of the highest levels of boundary conditions that can be found. In extreme cases, direct application, of the MT-10 to the gear teeth surfaces themselves, prior to the addition of the base lubricant has virtually eliminated galling and discoloration due to extreme wear and heat, and has prevented the rupture of case-hard surfaces due to extreme pressure and critical alignment. Once again, where a grease is required, we recommend either Muscle PL-10 or LP-l0.

ELECTRIC MOTORS - MT-10 added to the base lubricant of the shafts of electric motors, will in most cases, reduce power consumption of the motor due to increased lubricity while extending bearing shaft life dramatically. For example, tests were done on a 50 hp electric motor, 3 phase. 440 volt AC. driving a 10" x 9" oiless Chicago Pneumatic air compressor with the following results:
Before adding MT-10 to the motors lubricant, several readings were taken and recorded. Under load conditions, the motor was drawing 62 amps, while under no-load conditions, the same compressor drew 50 amps. The 50 hp electric motor was then treated with a 6% by volume addition of MT-10 to the oil. After one day of continuous running, readings were taken again. The same motor treated with MT-10 now showed a draw of 50 amps under load. This is a reduction of 12 amperes, or a 19% increase in efficiency. Under the no-load condition, the current dropped to 25 amperes. This is a loss of 25 amperes. or a 50% increase in efficiency. Twenty-four hours later, another reading was taken, and it was observed that the no-load condition once again had seen 5 more amperes in current drop. while the loaded condition remained the same. Individual tests may vary from motor to motor, but in most cases, the reduction in current draw will be significant and extremely cost effective.

SLIDES & RAILS - GIBS & WAYS - Metal surfaces that encounter extreme pressure and increased amounts of sliding friction can withstand enormous amounts of implied force without stalling, if MT-10 is added to the way oil. Also, wear can be reduced dramatically and tolerances can be maintained much longer.

AIR CONDITIONING & REFRIGERATION APPLICATION - MT-10 in the crankcase oil resivoir of a reciprocating compressor or in the freon lines of an air conditioning compressor will result in longer life and will lower the required starting and running power of the unit.
NOTE: MT-1O is NOT compatible with R-134A refrigerant oil (POE - Polyol Esters) or Ammonia charged systems.

VEHICLES: HEAVY EQUIPMENT, TRUCKS, FORK LIFTS, AUTOS, ETC. - MT- 10 added to the crankcase oil of any vehicles or heavy equipment, provides extreme benefits: a) Protection against wear; b) Increased power due to reduced frictional drag: c) High fuel efficiencies; and d) Reduced operating temperatures.

MT-10 is NOT to be used in the Brake Systems of any vehicle or heavy equipment, as it is not compatible with the glycol ester D.O.T. 3 fluids or the soft rubber components, and may cause brake failure to occur.

When used in differentials, MT-10 exhibits wear prevention and lower operating temperatures in gears and gear couplings. MT-10 can also he used in differentials with posi-traction and friction-related mechanics, in addition to the limited slip additive, with no danger of softening or reducing the necessary operation of the friction materials.

When used in the transmission (automatic or standard), MT-10 reduces operating temperatures significantly, by an average of 30 degrees F; reduces metal particle fallout due to wear; and keeps valves free and operating without upsetting the necessary coefficients of friction within the clutch plates and bands. This is supported by testing done at Raymark/Raybestos Laboratories, Crawfordsville, Indiana.

Being the keystone as previously described, MT-10 is a base constituent of the majority of the products in the Muscle line. As a result of this, our products achieve the highest status and performance levels in specialty lubricants and additives to date.

Their the same company that make FP-10 gun lube.I read some of the documents on the site awile back and as far as I could understand(I'm not a chemist)is that they use a halogen(chlorine is a halogon but I'm not sure which halogon they use) as an boundary lubricant very similar to Militec.The one paper did say that they use some type of ring opening acid scavenger and corrosion inhibitor wich they developed which is supposed to reduce the acids as the halogons break down.What I don't understand though is the reduction of amperage draw in the electric motor,that should be operating under hydrodynamic or elastohydrodynamic lubrication in which you wouldn't be using any type of antiwear additive's at all,or at least in my understanding you wouldn't.

Here is some more information:

BOUNDARY FILM LUBRICATION THROUGH ADVANCED

HALOGENATION TECHNIQUES:

OXIRANE ACID SCAVENGING AND ORGANO-METALLIC SUBSTITUTION

by GEORGE C. FENNELL, L.E.,

MUSCLE PRODUCTS CORPORATION
BUTLER, PA USA

Muscle Products Corporation's technology is based upon Tribologic methods that improve lubricity and load carrying capacity by improving surface characteristics and creating a stable chemical, corrosion controlled, halide boundary film. The keystone of MPC's product line is MT-10, a blend of highly refined oils and proprietary additives that contain no solid lubricants, chlorinated solvents, or phosphate compounds. It's active components react with each other and the contacting asperities of the metallic surfaces to provide five mechanisms of improvement.

Advanced chemical boundary film formation through reactive chemical bonding.
Ring opening, oxirane acid scavenging and advanced corrosion inhibition.
Organo-metallic substitution of surface metal and free radical reactionaries.
Improved surface smoothness and rolling out of irregular contacting asperities.
Re-hardening and latticular reconstruction of initial contacting metal surfaces.

The process of advanced boundary film formation is accomplished with an advanced combination of halogens that are controlled and rendered non-corrosive to the base metals of the system and pose no threat to the ozone layer or waste oil recovery systems due to their origins and long chain molecular lengths. These halogens initially react under thermal conditions with the organo-metallic reagents to form surface attaching compounds, thereby limiting and controlling the formation of halides from the base metals themselves. These surface attaching reagents or "electro-negative compounds" seek out and affix themselves to the lower surface areas referred to as micropores and fissures, as all metals are crystalline in structure and exhibit a lattice type matrix. This complex process also incorporates Van der Waal forces and dipole-dipole surface reactions. During this process, surface lapping and asperity( irregular microscopic contacting and opposing surfaces) roll-out is also achieved, yielding improved spread characteristics of the surfaces themselves. Due to the increase of film strength by the filling of the micropores and fissures, along with thermal modification of the asperities, the resulting effect is a gradual rolling out or flattening of the metal asperities rather than a breaking off or chip-away process, which would create metallic debris in the lubricant leading to abrasive wear from wear metal particles. The resulting improvement in the opposing metal surfaces further increases the fluid film strength, which is dependant on the degree of surface roughness and viscosity.

Viscosity, however, is a lesser consideration when incorporating boundary additives or halogenation techniques.

In general, boundary friction and wear consists of two components, a shear or adhesion component and a plowing or deformation component. Considering the following equation:

Fs=SAr

Where Fs is the shear component, which predominates except when asperities sink too deeply into a boundary lubricant film or a soft opposing surface. When movement or sliding occurs, the shear friction force depends on the shear resistance per unit area, S, of any "boundary film" in the real load-supporting area between asperities. Dividing by the load, W gives the shear contribution to the friction coefficient, becoming independent of total load and apparent area of contact:

fs = S * Ar / W = S / Pp or S / Pe

The boundary film shear resistance, S, is assumed equal to the plastic flow shear stress, Tp, of an ideal elastic, plastic solid. Such a solid gives shear stress independent of strain and strain rate at strains sufficiently large enough to cause plastic flow. The conditions that produce the "glass transition" from liquid to plastic-like behavior are dependant on the viscosity of the material at normal temperatures and pressures and the variation of viscosity with temperature and pressure. In other words, glass transition depends strongly on chemical composition.

These results show that liquid lubricants act like plastic solids in the films between asperities. Therefore, S=Tp in the previous equation and the friction coefficient is Tp/Pp or Tp/Pe. Since Tp is a weak function of temperature and pressure, and Pp or Pe are independent of apparent contact load, the frictional coefficient for a given combination of lubricant and sliding surfaces tends to be independent of operating conditions.

Elasto-hydrodynamic lubrication (ELH) on an asperity scale deposits film material between sliding surfaces in "micro-rheodynamic" (micro-RHD) lubrication. As one surface slides, each asperity carries with it an aggregation of MT-10. Sufficient pressure and temperature is developed within the film to elastically deform the asperity and to force MT-10 between the surfaces or into the micro-pores and fissures. During this time, high thermal conditions involving pressure and asperity contacts initiate

a re-hardening of the surfaces and a quenching and cooling by the oil to establish this process. A thermal restructuring of these asperity contact areas creates a deviation from the normal crystalline structure of the metal, expanding it into an austenitic crystalline pattern, which is more loosely structured and allows the MT-10 to impregnate the actual lattice of the metal, endowing it with new hardness and frictional properties upon cooling.

Organo-metallic substitution is a technique developed and designed to inhibit the process of halide formation from the base metals of the system under reaction. For example, instead of the halogen reacting with the iron in the system to form iron halides, a boundary surface salt, it reacts with a reagent having very similar properties to the iron atom itself, thereby forming a organo-metallic complex without scavenging the target metal surface itself, and depleting the metal in a chemically corrosive wear syndrome.

The process is very similar or analogous to the saponification of organo-metallic compounds in the manufacturing of greases. During this reaction or saponification, compounds react at a certain catalytic temperature and exchange characteristic components to form new compounds. These new chemical compounds are then used to aid in a boundary regime by providing an added protection to the actual surfaces being lubricated. Ring opening oxirane acid scavenging and corrosion inhibition is another chemical technique developed by MPC to neutralize acids and inhibit oxidation and corrosion. This technique involves the use of specifically engineered complex ethylene oxide; oxirane rings, that possess reactive reagents which will cause a cleavage of the ring when encountering acids or strong alkalines. These reactions occur in the presence of both anionic- and cationic-type catalysts. Anionic catalysts can include alkoxide ions, hydroxides, metal oxides, and some organo-metallic derivatives while Lewis acids and protonic reagents initiate cationic reactions.

O

/ \ Ethylene Oxide Reagent

n H2C - CH2 n

This entire process comes together to perform in a manner that is not equaled by any other process or product in the marketplace. The lubricity, load carrying capacity, surface improvement, and wear reduction are greatly improved while corrosive aspects of halogenation are virtually eliminated.

References:

(1) CRC "Handbook Of Lubrication, Theory And Practice", Volumes 1 & 2, by E. Richard Booser, Ph.D., Society of Tribologists and Lubrication Engineers (STLE), copyright 1992, Eighth Printing.

(2) "Organic Chemistry" 4th Edition, by Robert Morrison, Ph.D. and Robert Boyd, Ph.D., copyright 1983 by Allen & Bacon.

(3) "Lubrication - A Tribology Handbook", edited by M.J. Neale OBE, BSc(Eng), published by Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), copyright 1993, Butterworth-Heinemann, Ltd.

(4) CRC "Handbook Of Chemistry and Physics", 1986 Edition, by CRC Press, edited by David R. Lide, copyright 1986 by CRC Press.

We would need help from Molekule or someone else like him to understand all of this stuff. I did buy some gun oil from this company.

I have come to be extremely skeptical of all of these claims made by people who produce oil supplements, engine treatments, and for that matter gun oils and gun cleaners.

I have pretty much decided not to put anything in my oil other then Auto-RX, and maybe Lube Control, Neutra, of Schaeffer's #132 (the Auto-RX, Lube Control, and Neutra not at the same time). Pretty much everything else I just do not believe in anymore, although I am still curious when something new comes out. Even very convincing claims have to be looked into carefully. When somebody starts talking about four ball tests and Falex tests, I feel like walking away. From what I can find out, Falex tests are a poor test of a motor oil.

I have almost come to the conclusion that a person with guns would be just as well off sticking to ol' Hoppes gun cleaner and gun oil.

I don't like to watch infomercials anymore. These people are experts at making stuff believeable. Every once in a while something new and good does come along, but the tried and proven tend to be the best way to go.

(...removed silly misunderstanding of oiless compressors and motor lubricant...)

Something to me doesn't jive. Also, the full-load / no-load tests something again doesn't seem right. 12amp increase no-load to full-load without, and 25 amp increase no-load to full-load with the lubricant? We never saw this in MY power engineering classes without massive alterations to the incoming power-factor.

ferb!

(edit: immediately saw my mistake)

[ February 16, 2004, 11:46 PM: Message edited by: Ferb ]

I used MT-10 in the oil on my 88 Camry. I used Marvel Mystery Oil in the gas. For a few miles before an oil change I put a half quart of MMO in the crankcase. I passed the California Smog2 test with flying colors at 420,000 miles. Gave it to my daughter last year and it's still running strong. I basically like MMO because it seems to work, and the price....

Dave did you notice a dramatic reduction of the engine temp using MT-10? I use it and my engine runs much cooler since I used MT-10.

To answer Buzzsaw, I never had any heating problems, or a way to measure my oil temp. I drive over a mountain pass and the temp doesn't climb. Have a friend with a motor home. When he drives up I-5 he has temp gauge climb at Mt Shasta, can't run his a/c and on the Siskiyou he had to run his heater and drive slow. After MMO in the gas and MT-10 in the oil has no overheating problems, only turns of his a/c going over Siskiyou.....

Recently talked with the owner of the mentioned motorhome. He lives in Chico and drives at least once a month to Portland in his motorhome. Obviously heat is a product of friction, and if you add a product to your gas and oil and overheating is no longer a problem.... which it no longer is for him..... then is it OK to assume that something good has happened? perhaps there actually are a few additives out there that work? I do have to admit that when I see "infomercials" and companies spending thousands of dollars on advertising I would tend to NOT use them.

Dave, I`m sure that when the Auto RX hit the market, that there was a lot of speculation on it also. Someone tried it and it worked for them and they posted the results. I`m sure there were the skeptics and a good number of folks that said, " I`d never use the stuff in my lawnmower". Well, now look at all the posts about it, It appears to be the greatest product that ever hit the market. I too believe that 98% of the engine additives on the market are just a good way to separate you from your money, but there are the 2% left that actually work. Word of mouth seems to be the only way it gets spread around. I believe that GTA fuel enhancer to be one of those products. MT-10 is a great product, but Militec is even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back