MT-10 Metal Treatment Oil Additive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just received some literature from my Uncle who used to sell products from Muscle Products Corp., (MPC). This company makes an oil treatment called MT-10. They claim the stuff reduces coefficients of friction through Electrochemical Ionization.

I’ve never heard of the stuff until now and am curious about what is behind it if anything, and if it is any good.

I also received a really nice bearing scare testing machine that was used to demonstrate the MT-10 treatment compared to other oils and combinations of oil additives.

Does anyone have personal experience with MT-10, and or the MPC bearing scare testing machine?

http://www.qmimo.com/chlorine.htm

This site seems to sum up everything I've read about these products.

There seems to be a place for these compounds but NOT in an auto crankcase.

Quote:

Other products know to contain chlorine:
Dura-Lube, Energy Release, MT-10, Metal Lube, Militec-1, Motor Up, Prolong, Skorpion, IXL.

Great read simple_gifts, thanks for the info. I remember the Prolong late night/early morning TV infomercials and was skeptical, ah, the magic of editing.

The article provided makes sense, as I know how nasty chlorine can be in other applications. Why would anyone put it in their engine? But, I’d like to see other write-ups about chlorinated engine additives if anyone has them. It would helpful to see what others say about chlorinated additives besides a competitor that makes a PTFE additive.

In addition to these questions, I’ve got other questions about bearing wear scare testers. But, I’ll post it below in the Test Forum.

Thanks.

welcome2.gif

Quote:
bearing wear scare testers

Is this a person who plays a tape or recording of a knocking engine that's in sync with someone's engine and you see how afraid they get?

Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
welcome2.gif

Quote:
bearing wear scare testers

Is this a person who plays a tape or recording of a knocking engine that's in sync with someone's engine and you see how afraid they get?

LOL, well it’s not exactly that simplistic. With out going into too much depth, the bearing tester has a ¼ horsepower Dayton motor that spins a bearing race via a belt drive. The bearing race is driven at 860 rpm. Then a separate bearing with a Rockwell rating of C-42 is positioned in arm that you lower onto the rotating bearing race, which has a Rockwell rating of C-56. The bearing race rotates in ¼ inch pool of a motor oil of your choice. Depending on how much leverage you put on the arm, you can cause the motor to stall out. According to the instructions, most oils will stall the motor at three to five pounds of leverage, which equates to 87 to 161 pounds of leverage force between the stationary bearing and the spinning bearing race. Then the stationary bearing with the C-42 hardness will have a wear scar to some varying degree based on how well the oil did or didn’t do; all of this in theory of course.

The claim with the MT-10 treatment is that when an amount of force is put on the lever to 25 pounds or more which equates to a total bearing-to-bearing force of 631 pounds or more, the drive motor continues to run without fail. They say the mixture was approximately 5% MT-10 to 10W-30 Pennzoil conventional motor oil.

Anyway, I’m not too concerned about the MT-10 treatment. However, I am kind of curious if the bearing tester has any validity when it comes to testing various brands and types of motor oils?

This tester also has a built in amp meter so you can watch how hard the motor is working electrically based on how much force is put on the leverage arm. The theory again is that if you have a good lubricating fluid in the bearing race reservoir, the drive motor will exert less electrical energy rated in amperage.

Anyway, just for fun, I am going to try and find new test bearings that match the hardness scales mentioned above and try some various oils in it to see if there is a range and repeatable results. So, I guess it’s all in good for being free?

BTW, thanks for the welcome. I’ve been a guest on this forum many times. Just never broke down and joined. It’s awesome to actually be posting something, cheers!

CompSyn

Quote:
I am kind of curious if the bearing tester has any validity when it comes to testing various brands and types of motor oils?

NO. I have used MT-10 in engines, transmissions and differentials. Even power steering. The UOAs I did on engines were not good and the ones on transmissions were good. Never did a UOA on the difs but the oil looked good when I changed it out (no obvious signs of corrosion). I no longer use the product as I have learned more since that time.

The original formulator of MPC products is no longer with the company and MPC no longer has a lube engineer on staff which is worrisome to me. The formulator has started a new company with updated products called Steel Shield Technologies. I don't use their auto products but their CLP is the best out there IMHO.

The test machine you have is best used to test gear oils and EP greases.

Originally Posted By: CompSyn
Does anyone have personal experience with MT-10, and or the MPC bearing scare testing machine?

I've used the MT-10 in both my auto engine and transmission over the last couple of years. It cured a sticky behavior occurring in the trans. and all I did was follow the product directions and soon all was good (within a few hundred miles). As far as the engine is concerned, I had not noticed anything negative prior to starting an AutoRx regimen that I'm about 70% complete with. This is on my 191k+ Grand Prix. I've always used another additive (Lally AW-1) with Mobil-1 previously with no follow-on problems to report. But no oil analysis results either...

Your mileage may vary and like the other poster noted, George Fennell developed some great products at MPC and now with his new venture. I have happily used his FP-10, VooDew cycling lube and others without complaint, all of which incorporate MT-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back