Mr Heater "buddy" series opinions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking of getting some sort of portable type heater for my garage when I'm working on stuff. Nothing permanent since it's not too often I really need one or I'm able to avoid working on stuff on colder days. Short term stuff like working on the car or motorcycle but not spend the day out there. Plus I'm not talking sub zero temps but just want to take the extra chill off.

I'm seeing a couple of the http://www.mrheater.com/portable-buddy-heater.html Mr Heater Buddy series, portable propane jobs for a decent price. Yes, I know propane canisters, refilled or not, can become expensive but probably still cheaper than running an electric heater out there (I think).

Bad idea??

Thanks,

Rick

They only heat a small area.But work good and have a safety low oxygen shut off.Stock up on those fat little propane tanks....

We have one for ice fishing, and a line and adapter to use a refillable tank. Ours is 6k btu and it heats up 180 cubic ft of our portable hut, but its not going to do much in an unheated garage.
The big ones (50k+ btu) will work I guess but keep in mind you are adding all sorts of moisture to the air as well by having the exhaust in your garage.

I've seen guys use old house sized oil furnaces, just sitting in the corner with no ducting. Maybe a local HVAC could set you up for a couple hundred?

+2 on the moisture. Maybe run a 1500 watt electric space heater to even it all out?

I would also suggest sticking with electric. I think that anything of that size won't do much to warm up the entire space.

I think that something like a radiant heater would better direct the heat where you are located. I have a small Harbor Freight Parabolic heater and it throws the heat a fairly good distance, and it's only 400/900 watts.

as has already been mentioned the buddy heaters work good for smaller areas. the link you provided says it will work for a 200 square foot area, that is approximately a 14'X14' area. If your temperatures are not to bad in the area you live in, and garage is not too big, it should work for you.

they sell an attachment to allow you to hook up to a larger propane tank bottle if you like. I keep 2 of these heaters with attachment hoses and propane tanks ready in the event of severe winter weather and power outages here in the midwest.

I'm kind of a "heater" guy, using different types for different purposes.

I would worry just a little bit about the flame if working on motorcycles etc. where gas or fumes could be present. If this is not a concern, then the heater should work OK. Also consider: kerosene or good electric heater.

One of my favorites for camping is the old style Coleman catalytic heaters. They use the liquid fuel, burn forever but have no "flame", carbon monoxide is not an issue either with the catalytic heaters. The strongest put out 5 - 6,000 btu. You'd have to light it outside and let the flame go out (about 15-20 minutes).

I've picked up 2 at yard sales for almost nothing ($3.00 and $5.00)

Originally Posted By: spk2000
I have used kerosene heater in garage to warm it up. They put out more BTUs and heat a larger area better

A forced Kerosene "Torpedo" heater is the way to go!! Super simple and effective. I got a 45K and it will heat up a poorly sealed uninsulated garage to livable temps.

Whished I had a 75k heater.

Last edited:
41qLbb7oqPL._SX425_.jpg

Originally Posted By: Vern_in_IL
A forced Kerosene "Torpedo" heater is the way to go!! Super simple and effective. I got a 45K and it will heat up a poorly sealed uninsulated garage to livable temps.

I've owned a whole bunch of kerosene/diesel torpedoes, including a pair of monster units at work that were 300,000 or 500,000 BTU, can't remember. They had a 15 gallon tank and we fed them jet fuel.

Quality of the fuel you feed them is paramount. With high-quality kerosene/jet fuel, they are wonderful and stink only when started and shut down, and put out great heat. With low-quality kerosene, they stink continuously and its nauseating.

Here in Northern Alabama, finding good quality kerosene is a challenge. The station I used to buy the good stuff from was destroyed in the 2011 tornadoes and never rebuilt. The other two places still around are hit-n-miss quality *AND* they *STILL* charge $4 plus a gallon. Got 4 gallons of [censored] kerosene in the garage from last winter that stinks so awful I refuse to use it in the heater and am cleaning parts with it.

If you've got a source of quality kerosene, go for a kero unit. If not, I'd do something propane. When the kero torpedo I've got dies, it will get replaced by a propane unit.

thanks,
ben

I use the "Big Buddy" heater in my garage in winter. Definitely works but doesn't work wonders. Even with my small little electric desk space heater going with it, I doubt the temp ever gets to 40F if its COLD outside (like last year).

Certainly takes the chill out, especially if you keep it reasonably near by.

A propane torpedo heather with a 100 lb tank would be my suggestion. It will heat it up quickly. You may not need to run it once its warm. Unless you get an electric heater, I would suggest a CO detector and maybe a gas detector if you use propane.

Originally Posted By: buck91
I use the "Big Buddy" heater in my garage in winter. Definitely works but doesn't work wonders. Even with my small little electric desk space heater going with it, I doubt the temp ever gets to 40F if its COLD outside (like last year).

Certainly takes the chill out, especially if you keep it reasonably near by.

I also have a Big Buddy heater. It runs on two of the small propane bottles, or you can buy an optional hose to use with a 20-lb bottle. In my attached two car garage it helps a little, but doesn't do much. If I want to work on the car I'll run the Big Buddy plus a small electric heater for an hour beforehand, and it probably raises the temp no more than 10 deg F. Better than nothing, but basically inadequate for heating a garage.

OK, thanks all. I was mostly thinking about just pointing it at me (few to several feet away of course) when I'm puttering away out there. I see my source that had it on sale ended the sale price . Good idea on looking for some sort of estate/yard/garage sale for used types. I admit I've not really seen them but really haven't been looking before now.

Thanks again,

Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back