MP3 Player Headphones

Status
Not open for further replies.
I want to buy better headphones for my mp3 player, but am not sure what works best. I have the basic earbud type that just sit in the outer part of your ear and they work fine, stay in place pretty good, but I don't get much bottom end unless I hold them into my ears. In the store I saw headphones that loop behind your neck and the ear parts sort of poke into your ears. Seems that would give a lot better bottom end. Anybody have some and how do they compare?

I have the midrange shure with silicone plugs. Major difference over the apple phones, which I still use when running.

I've got these:

http://tinyurl.com/rdsn3z

Sennheiser CX300-B Earbuds

I caught them on sale for like $25 or something (They are usually like $50) I really like them.

I use them while riding my bicycle and they really keep the wind noise out. I can keep the sound on #10 which is where I listen when I'm in a quiet area and I can hear find.

They have really nice base sound too, and they stay in pretty good.

I've had them since christmas and am very happy with them.

I'm not an audiophile, but I haven't been able to find any hanging earbuds that have anything close to decent sound quality. I think the in-the-ear type earphones have superior sound.

I found a brand new in the package set of Shure E2c buds at Goodwill for $5 that are decent and I still use them.

I liked the set of Sony MDR-NC11 noise canceling earbuds I had until one day, they decided to die. BTW, every Sony product that I have ever owned has [censored] out after a few years.

By far the best set of earbuds I have are the Etymotic ER6i:

http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx

Originally Posted By: paulo57509
I found a brand new in the package set of Shure E2c buds at Goodwill for $5 that are decent and I still use them.

That's a great price for those. I paid a lot more for my set, but I found their sound quality quite bad... poor highs, poor lows... maybe it's something about my ear shape that does not allow them to make a proper seal.

Nowadays, if I want good sound, I use full size headphones that cover your entire ears. None of the buds or in-ear ones that I've tried sounded satisfactory to me.

Thanks for the recs, but I must confess I have perpetual ringing in my ears, presumably from loud music. Anyway, the point is that my hearing discernment is not that of an audiophile. So I am mainly interested in a cheap set, I think these were Maxell and somewhere around $5 to $8 that stick in the ears. I am pretty sure they will give bottom end as they stick in like as if I were pushing in my others.

Now noise cancelling would be great, expecially when my wife is hollering for me (
grin2.gif
), but I think I'll just go on the cheap for now.

Actually, ear buds suck, they always fall out, but these are by Phillips and are specific for left and right ear, but the way I made them to stay in is to glue the two wires together under the chin so that there is slight tension. That keeps them in very well, but at the same time, probably makes it worse for bottom end as it's pulling them sort of outward.

Year 2100: Embedded chip plays all your favorite music inside your head at will. Runs off electricity generated within your own body. Meat, bread, and vegetables become music!
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: TallPaul

Year 2100: Embedded chip plays all your favorite music inside your head at will. Runs off electricity generated within your own body. Meat, bread, and vegetables become music!
crazy2.gif

EEEEK !!!

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
Originally Posted By: TallPaul

crazy2.gif

EEEEK !!!
Yeah man, I think I have been at the computer terminal too long. Time to take a walk and get some fresh air.
crazy2.gif

Well I got a pair of KOSS KPH/6 cheapies for $5 and they are working very nicely, good bottom and a volume control on the cord, which is a very nice feature. These have small 2" diameter disks on each ear. The poke in the ear type were no good, didn't help bottom end and made a wind noise if I walked fast. They are going back to the store tomorrow. Only problem is I have a big head and most of these are a bit tight on the sides, may bend them with some heat to get a better fit.

BOSE TRIPORTS
bose-triport.jpg

I have these Paul and highly recommend them. I use them right out of my laptop so I would assume an MP3 player would sound very simular. Excellent sound quality, lightweight and comfortable are the positives ... high price and lousy 90 day warranty are the negatives.

I'm avoiding the pricy models for a couple reasons, one my MP3 player has a frequency range of 80-16000 Hz so I probably don't get the full advantage of pricy headphones. Actually have a KOSS set that are big ear coverage like the photo you posted and they sound great but I get tired of wearing them. Anyhow, I am saving my cash to continue building my Johnny Winter CD collection. I only have 17 of his CDs and there are several more to get.
crazy2.gif

Shure e2c for $5 new????? I paid WAY more than that for mine, but I don't sweat the price since they sound so awesome. Great for working in the shop, I can listen to music and drown out the loud echoing shop noise at the same time.

I was walking by the Goodwill store on my way to Big 5 (they're both in a strip mall in Stockton) and I spied them through the window on a shelf. At the time I didn't know what they were until I went in and took a look.

Now I know how some of you feel when you get Holy Grail oil on clearance.

I just got a pair of Coosh.com headphones (earbuds with ear loops). They have pretty good bass, better than the Phillips that came with my MP3 player. Only paid $10 (hee hee, because the ear loops are pink--the black ones were $18.99).

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
BOSE TRIPORTS
bose-triport.jpg

I have these Paul and highly recommend them. I use them right out of my laptop so I would assume an MP3 player would sound very simular. Excellent sound quality, lightweight and comfortable are the positives ... high price and lousy 90 day warranty are the negatives.

Big +1 on those. I have a set and they're easily the best headphones I've had. I know they aren't the very best in the world, but they're the best value if you really want quality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back