Mower that requires NO oil changes!

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the latest Canadian Tire flyer, there was an ad for one of our in-house mowers, a 'Yardworks' 163cc gas mower that says 'powered by a B&S EXi engine that requires no oil changes for the life of the engine.'

I'm not entirely suprised; in this age of no-maintenance to worry about items it makes sense that someone would make a no oil change gas mower. Also, I'd imagine a lot of mowers live their life this way anyway - no-one bother to change the oil until they seize up or break.

Anyone know anything about this new Briggs engine? Is actually a sealed unit that you CAN'T change oil on, or you just don't 'have to'? I wonder if it has increased oil capacity to handle the no-change plan, or if it uses a special oil to make this possible? I wouldn't be suprised if it had a full-syn 10W-30 in there to make this possible.

I wonder how this unit will work out long term. I mean, for someone who mows a small lawn once a week or so, it will most likely be fine...but what if a commercial guy got one who mows five days a week all summer?

At my store we sell a LOT of SAE 30 mower oil; small engines often burn a bit of oil...how will this one account for that? Do you still have to check the level and top it off?

I'm going to look at one in person (if they have it on display, LOL) and see what I can garner..but anyone have any thoughts?

Sorry, missed that!

Thought this was brand-new as it was on the cover of the flyer, like a lot of brand-new products, and thought it might have been exclusive to CT.

:p

My old Lawn-Boy never needs an oil change...
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
My old Lawn-Boy never needs an oil change...
wink.gif

Sadly, those aren't made in 2-stroke versions here anymore either.
frown.gif

I use an oil extractor on my Honda. It might take ten minutes start to finish. Why this is a selling point is beyond me.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Sorry, Bror...I did admit I made a mistake and didn't search first..

I don't see it as that big of a deal. If we don't search, we hear about it. If there's no activity, that's just as bad (if not worse) for bitog.

They'll get over it.
At least we the users are active in the forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back