mower recomendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Call me silly looking but our (20 car length) driveway is the first to be clean and kept clean, while others are huffing/puffing with shovels and getting sprayed in the face using their snow blowers!

We are done in about 1/2 hour and enjoying our hot coffee while they are out there for 2-3 hours cursing.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: built
Thanks for the relys, you all have brought up great points.
I would like to spend around a grand for a new mower that might be hard i'm not sure but if it is worth the extra money to have a mower that doesn't need repairs or that last a long times it would be worth the extra money.
A plow attachment would also be nice to have ,hadn't thought of that.does the deck have to be removed to use a plow?

what about the brands that lowes sells, they have jd, huskys,troy bilt,bolens.

That's a whole lot to ask out of a new machine for a grand. I would avoid the Lowes brands you are asking about, except for the JDs. If it's got to be new and you can only spend a grand, here's what I would suggest: http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605...scriptionAnchor It's gear drive, you can buy a gauge wheel kit for the deck and Sears parts and service can come right to the house should you have issues.

Joel

May be way more than you are looking for but check out Hustler ZRT mowers. They have a homeowner line that you can put a snowblower on. Way more than a grand though. I have a 60" Z I mow my 4 acres (under 2 hrs), my moms 1 acre (about 30 min), and my BIL uses. Only put about 80-100 hrs a year on it.

Originally Posted By: Flapjack23
May be way more than you are looking for but check out Hustler ZRT mowers. They have a homeowner line that you can put a snowblower on..

Just out of curiosity, which ones will accept snowblower? http://www.hustlerturf.com/products.html?catid=3 I'm with you on ZTRs. If you want to get your mowing done as fast as possible and your mowing is not too hilly or rough, a ZTR is the way to go.

Joel

Its the Fast Track line. I cant find it online either, but I saw a brochure at my dealer. I'll see if I can find more info.

I think you're right JTK, How much over do i need to go to get a good mower.
The one you posted didn't get very good reviews from the five owners who posted.
I like the idea of maybe buying a JD from the dealer that is used but I don't like the idea that maybe it is used for a good reason and I don't want someone elses problems.

Originally Posted By: built
I like the idea of maybe buying a JD from the dealer that is used but I don't like the idea that maybe it is used for a good reason and I don't want someone elses problems.

Generally speaking, an outdoor power equipment dealer isn't going to sell you something on the brink of disaster. If you're not someone who likes to tinker/repair OPE, buying from a dealer is significant since you will need the relationship with them. In regards to the Sears machine, they are the #1 lawn/garden tractor seller. People tend to have unrealistic expectations on what you get for your dollar with respect to lawn/garden tractors. If you want to pull attachments, plow, snowblow, etc.. You need to spend $3K+ if you want the unit to last. Same goes for terrain. If you have hills and rough ground, a $1K-2K new machine will get beaten to pieces.

Joel

Last edited:
Yep I guess i'm asking too much for a grand, and I can't swing three grand right now.
maybe the craftsman would be better , a local snapper dealer here in town calls them [censored], they hate their line of mowers so it made me worry that they might be on to something from working on them alot for their other customers, ( they are a repair shop also )

From your link I read the customer reviews and some of them don't sound very good for the craftsman, what do you think about their reviews ?

A $1000 Sears machine is going to perform just like any other $1000 machine. Again, Sears outsells everyone else on Lawn/Garden tractors. Typically the only ones posting reviews are those with product issues. I don't care for Sears lawn tractors, but they are a low cost, readily available option, especially if you want a gear drive machine. If you can swing $2K, get a dealer machine in that price range.

Joel

what about sears brand yard machine mowers, any good ?

who exactly makes mowers for sears anyway ? what is it really !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back