Moving to Illinois-Emissions Testing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a question that I hope someone here can give me some guidance on since I can't seem to find a clear-cut answer.

I've taken a new job, and in the next few months am going to relocating to Illinois. I'll probably be in Madison county(Collinsville/Maryville/Edwardsville area), which requires emissions testing.

It's pretty clear cut that my MKZ is going to need it as it's 10 years old, but that shouldn't be an issue at all for it to pass.

The MG and Marina are a bit less clear cut to me. From what I can find, the exemption is absolute for anything pre-67. The 68-95 window seems to fall a bit through the cracks, though, as what I can find states that anything that passed in 97 was still considered current for emissions purposes. Neither of these cars would have ever had a test/inspection in Illinois, though, so I'm not really sure how that works.

Can any IL residents who live in an area with emissions testing offer any thoughts on this?

My understanding is that if the vehicle doesn't have OBDII emissions, it's no longer tested, but don't quote me. I don't think that any of the test stations have the old roller/treadmill test anymore.

My personal experience with Dad's truck (the Ranger) is that I've not have to have an emissions test since I took ownership, and the truck was not originally registered in Illinois. I specifically e-mailed the Illinois EPA asking how it worked and never received an answer. I've never had a problem renewing the truck's registration, and I've never received a notice that it's due for testing like I regularly receive for the rest of the fleet.

Thank you! Hopefully it won't be an issue.

The state EPA website seems to not give any reference to pre-OBDII either, so maybe the thought now is just that there are so few in regular use that it's not worth it.

As a side note-the state EPA is in a building that is of some interest/significance to me(or at least one of my hobbies) so I wouldn't terribly mind to go in person and ask the question, even though I doubt that would be possible.

I believe they only test OBD-II cars now.

I live in a portion of St Clair Co that is NOT tested.

I believe this will help: https://www2.illinois.gov/epa/topics/air-quality/mobile-sources/Pages/vehicle-emissions-testing.aspx

Note the section that indicates as follows: "Most 1996 and newer gasoline-powered passenger vehicles are subject to emissions inspections after they are four years old (e.g. 2012 vehicles are being inspected in 2016 for the first time). The inspection month coincides with the expiration date of the vehicle license plate. Typically, even model-year vehicles are inspected during even years, and odd model-year vehicles are inspected in odd years."

I don't believe pre-1996 vehicles make up enough to warrant testing any more. The IM240 exhaust sniffer test done on a dyno was eliminated in 2007, IIRC.

Peep here: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/index/register/volume35/register_volume35_issue1.pdf

Page 19 section 5: "The VEIL of 2005 was modeled off of the
VEIL of 1995, but added definitions relating to the on-board diagnostic ("OBD")
inspection test; exempted model year 1995 and older vehicles from inspection; replaced
the transient loaded mode ("IM240") emissions test with the OBD test as the primary
vehicle inspection test"

So as you can see 1995 and older are exempt from emissions testing as the state has eliminated the IM240 series of tests.

They stopped it altogether in Wa state beggining this year. they stated that the amount of vehicles that are still on the road that are non compliant is so small that keeping it was no longer needed.

My condolences regarding your move.

It's the post-1995 vehicles with the OBD port. All they do is plug in and check for errors. If your emissions light isn't on, then you're likely passing. It's every two years and odd model years are due in odd calendar years and so on.

Most of the time, it's just drive up to the station and it's 1-2 car wait. Just avoid ends of months.

They also open your fuel door to see if you have reamed out the metal receptor that allows only approved fuel dispensers.

Welcome to the area. I live outside Granite City a mile from the Flying J truck stop at I270 and Hwy 111 about 10 miles from Edwardsville or Collinsville. There is an emission testing station 1/4 mile west of the truck stop on old Rt 66 or as we call it here Chain of Rocks Rd. As for the MKZ all they will do for it is plug into the port under the dash that access trouble codes. However testing will not be required for several months after you register the vehicles in Illinoistan. As for the other cars just walk into the emmsions office there and they will give you the scoop.
welcome2.gif
Also I see you are into fire arms. Illinoistan does require a "Firearms owners id card". So make sure you take of that when you come here. A good friend belongs to a gun club in Maryville. I have shot there with him but I'm not a member. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me.

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the welcomes.

My fiancé is a lifelong native of the area, and I've taken a professor position at a small college in the area.

Yes, I have researched the firearm thing also. All my guns are staying at my parents' house until I can get settled and get the FOID and hopefully CCW.

It's definitely a big change in that area coming from Kentucky, but on the whole the move is worth it personally and professionally. At least I've found the more rural parts of the state(and even the greater St. Louis area) to be a lot more laid back/friendly and to to feel a lot more "at home" to a native Kentuckian than in the more northern parts of the state.

If you cycle, Madison County has a great network of rails to trails paved bicycle trails.

I'm part of a group that (when allowed) does group rides from St Clair Co, up to downtown Edwardsville, or out to Marine, or even road rides to Lebanon, IL

So if you, or your wife is into that sort of thing, Edwardsville is a great place to be.

I don't know which school you're going to, but SIUE is connected to the trail network. While the taxes are a percent or two higher than surrounding states, it's not all bad here.

Now that weed is legal at the state level, the joke is people drive to MO for gas and to IL for grass.

Anyway, good luck with the move, and I hope you find comfort that there are a number of BITOG members in your soon to be new home.

Originally Posted by bunnspecial

My fiancé is a lifelong native of the area, and I've taken a professor position at a small college in the area.

Yes, I have researched the firearm thing also. All my guns are staying at my parents' house until I can get settled and get the FOID and hopefully CCW.

It's definitely a big change in that area coming from Kentucky, but on the whole the move is worth it personally and professionally. At least I've found the more rural parts of the state(and even the greater St. Louis area) to be a lot more laid back/friendly and to to feel a lot more "at home" to a native Kentuckian than in the more northern parts of the state.

Originally Posted by javacontour
If you cycle, Madison County has a great network of rails to trails paved bicycle trails.

I'm part of a group that (when allowed) does group rides from St Clair Co, up to downtown Edwardsville, or out to Marine, or even road rides to Lebanon, IL

So if you, or your wife is into that sort of thing, Edwardsville is a great place to be.

I don't know which school you're going to, but SIUE is connected to the trail network. While the taxes are a percent or two higher than surrounding states, it's not all bad here.

Now that weed is legal at the state level, the joke is people drive to MO for gas and to IL for grass.

Anyway, good luck with the move, and I hope you find comfort that there are a number of BITOG members in your soon to be new home.

Thanks again for the welcome! I don't want to say too much publicly about what the school is, but will PM you.

Neither of us are cyclers, but I've enjoyed both going out driving and walking the area around there. This fall, I can definitely see putting some miles on the MG around there.

Our wedding is going to be at Pere Marquette Lodge, which of course is also a beautiful area.

I live 5 miles from the trail that goes from the church up by SIUE and back of Bella Milano Italian Restaurant. I have been walking on that trail for 10-12 years.

Peep here: https://www.cyberdriveillinois.com/departments/index/register/volume35/register_volume35_issue1.pdf

Page 19 section 5: "The VEIL of 2005 was modeled off of the
VEIL of 1995, but added definitions relating to the on-board diagnostic ("OBD")
inspection test; exempted model year 1995 and older vehicles from inspection; replaced
the transient loaded mode ("IM240") emissions test with the OBD test as the primary
vehicle inspection test"

So as you can see 1995 and older are exempt from emissions testing as the state has eliminated the IM240 series of tests.

This.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back