Moving MS Office to a new SSD?

Hi guys, I ordered a new SSD for my Windows 7 netbook. Right now I have office 2010 on the HDD that is going to be replaced.. How hard would it be to move office 2010 and install it to the new SSD once I get that installed? I don't have any install disks or anything for office because I bought the netbook used and office was already installed. So how would I do it.. find certain files and copy them? Would there be any issues with the reactivation? I don't "need" Office, as I use Libre Office for all of my classes, but I figured as long as I have it I should try to get it working. Thanks!

What <span style="text-decoration: line-through">version</span> edition of Office 2010 is it?

Last edited:

ClutchDisc

Thanks guys, some good info to look into. Not sure what edition of Office 2010 I have as I am not on that computer right now. So if I use the direct download links and then use my activation code I should be good?

Wait, why don't you just clone the existing drive onto the new SSD? The computer won't know/care that it's on a different storage device. You'll boot it up and it will be exactly as it was before -- no need to reinstall anything or backup your data.

Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Thanks guys, some good info to look into. Not sure what edition of Office 2010 I have as I am not on that computer right now. So if I use the direct download links and then use my activation code I should be good?
Yes, that should work. MS won't consider that a new install (same hardware) so the key should activate just fine.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Originally Posted By: ClutchDisc
Yes, that should work. MS won't consider that a new install (same hardware) so the key should activate just fine.
I found moving hardware they could care less either. It activated. I believe its the third time this license has moved as it was from a HP Laptop(found at dump smashed)>my T500>my W530. I also filched the HDD(booted from USB) and Windows 7 license from it.

Despite ominous language in EULAs and horror stories from the internet, I've never had a Microsoft product fail to activate after moving hardware. Including newer products that require activation, like Windows 7 and Office 2013.

I've reinstalled MS office on two different computers many times. Never had a problem. If you want to put it on a new drive then just install it there. Your only drawback is you will have to re download and reinstall the updates.

That jellybean site downloads malware and a browser hijacker. Stay away from it. Luckily Malwarebytes finds it and completely removes it.
Originally Posted By: rjundi
You need to load this piece of software on existing machine>>> https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/ It will give you the product key(s). If you have issues with reactiviation call M$. Tell them what happened and they will take care of you. They won't even ask you for key likely. I dug up my notes, I went here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/produc...X103427465.aspx

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Despite ominous language in EULAs and horror stories from the internet, I've never had a Microsoft product fail to activate after moving hardware. Including newer products that require activation, like Windows 7 and Office 2013.
I had a problem reinstalling W7 on a new SSD. It would not allow me to activate using my old key. Finally found some workaround on the web.

ClutchDisc

Well I tried opening up MS Office yesterday and I'm getting a message about how it's not activated and I have 29 days left to activate.. It was activated and getting updates. I'm not even going to bother messing around with moving it.. it's not worth my time. I will just install Libre Office on the SSD when I get it. At least I won't have to deal with Microsoft's silly activation problems! I prefer Libre Office anyway.