Movies that you felt had disturbing subject matter

Silent Running

1972, Bruce Dern
While the subject matter may be disturbing, the film is excellent, some have even called it a masterpiece. Dern's performance was outstanding and should have won him an Oscar. Joan Baez's voice on the soundtrack only added to the beauty and ethereal qualities of the film. Gary Arnold of The Washington Post called the film "the most original and interesting science-fiction melodrama since 'Planet of the Apes' and a new classic of the genre." Of course, there were criticisms as well as is the case with any art or creative endeavor. I've always believed that if everyone likes your work, you're not trying hard enough.

Not necessarily disturbing content, although entirely possible to have both, but movies you would say possibly is a screwed up more so than crazy movie. Crazy could be innocent and just wacky, like Looper or maybe the first Crank movie, the second was a little raunchy Crank: High Voltage. Not disturbing or unsettling, though.

I will go first.. to nominate the movie Apt Pupil followed closely by The Good Son (yep, Macaulay Culkin post Home Alone.) Apt Pupil of course follows a proud, unremorseful WW2 era figure.. The Good Son was just a psychopath and development of as such. Makes you question some of what they put in movies, that was early 90s I believe.

But, enough introduction. There are more.. Your nominations, and why?
Joker, 2019. The depiction of a violent psychiatric case was extremely on point. A lot of people live in their own little safe bubble, and this is a glimpse into that world for the pampered. I was honestly surprised at 1) Them depicting it as they did, and 2) That it seemed like a good idea for them to do so. I recall it caused a bit of controversy. All I can say is that I am in awe of how well Mr. Phoenix played the part, and that this is daily life for a lot of people that most of society doesn't "have to see".

Hard Candy was the other movie that I found disturbing, mainly just because it was monumentally messed up. Nothing about the plot, acting, or anything gets any praise from me, it was just a messed up movie.

A movie that really freaked me out was The Decent. The girls who go cave exploring and get lost within the caves while being chased by these "things".
One of the very few horror movies that I found actually enthralling. Every other one I've seen has just been a) Stupid and boring, or b) A weak attempt at "showing more gore than you think it can show", and most are an AB mix.

Anything with Karl Malden's nose in it. Horrible.

I know you're making a joke, but here's something that fits your comment and this thread perfectly: TV miniseries Fatal Vision about Army doctor Jeffrey MacDonald who murdered his family.

And the 'best', most creepy and interesting part with no music or audio:

Malden is fantastic in it, and my sister supposedly can't watch Gary Cole in anything now because she was so creeped out by him in this. lol

One of the very few horror movies that I found actually enthralling. Every other one I've seen has just been a) Stupid and boring, or b) A weak attempt at "showing more gore than you think it can show", and most are an AB mix.
Have you seen The Decent part two? I haven’t but want to.

For some strange reason I find movies really boring and fake . They are all the same per genre

Joker, 2019. The depiction of a violent psychiatric case was extremely on point. A lot of people live in their own little safe bubble, and this is a glimpse into that world for the pampered. I was honestly surprised at 1) Them depicting it as they did, and 2) That it seemed like a good idea for them to do so. I recall it caused a bit of controversy. All I can say is that I am in awe of how well Mr. Phoenix played the part, and that this is daily life for a lot of people that most of society doesn't "have to see".

Hard Candy was the other movie that I found disturbing, mainly just because it was monumentally messed up. Nothing about the plot, acting, or anything gets any praise from me, it was just a messed up movie.
Phoenix played it better than Ledger! Yes, he really did! And that's amazing.

A lot of people have similar struggles that movie was rather amazing in a disturbing way... the De Niro finale part was a bit over the top but someone I know pointed out, those were his delusions at the beginning which took it to where it did at the end.. Yes, 10/10 movie. Complete with Bernie Goetz (Getz?) reference...

Reactions: Ws6
Phoenix played it better than Ledger! Yes, he really did! And that's amazing.

A lot of people have similar struggles that movie was rather amazing in a disturbing way... the De Niro finale part was a bit over the top but someone I know pointed out, those were his delusions at the beginning which took it to where it did at the end.. Yes, 10/10 movie. Complete with Bernie Goetz (Getz?) reference...
They were different Jokers, IMO. Ledger played more a comic book Joker. Phoenix played a Joker that I've seen over and over with many faces over the years. They both nailed it, IMO

They were different Jokers, IMO. Ledger played more a comic book Joker. Phoenix played a Joker that I've seen over and over with many faces over the years. They both nailed it, IMO
I've heard that said as well.. I found The Dark Knight kind of hard to watch didnt really like Christian Bale in it I'm not a Batman fan anyway.... but the 2019 Joker was just about perfect. I even saw it in NYC... And that laugh is creepy. One of best screen performances I've seen

Reactions: Ws6
I've heard that said as well.. I found The Dark Knight kind of hard to watch didnt really like Christian Bale in it I'm not a Batman fan anyway.... but the 2019 Joker was just about perfect. I even saw it in NYC... And that laugh is creepy. One of best screen performances I've seen
Bale was a terrible batman. The one role I've seen him bomb.

Bale was a terrible batman. The one role I've seen him bomb.
I thought he was perfect for the Nolan Universe.. Surely you're not blaming him for the voice which received more enhancement from film to film.

IMO Superhero films lean heavily on the script and the universe created by the director rather than an actors ability.

Apt Pupil

Aptpupilposter.jpg

Back