Mouse Pads

Maybe I use my computer/mouse to much but these things dont seem to last long . It curls up on the edges and the fabric is coming apart . How often do you replace your Mouse Pad ?

Sounds like you're buying cheap, floppy "cloth" type ones. I've used the thin rubber type and even an aluminum plate mouse pad and neither has worn out after many, many years (obviously the metal one isn't going to wear out).

Here's the aluminum one I use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B073WYJPH4/. It's not available anymore but gives you an idea of the type. I can't tell from looking on Amazon about the other type I mentioned.

Mine is from 2002. It's made of a wetsuit type foamy rubber from a now defunct computer surplus store.

Paco

OIP.9FWcfJ1j6kWiMXkSHvO-AgAAAA
here is a nice mouse pad for you. :)

I have a couple from a computer/repair store and the backing is very dense foam rubber. I wash one and use the other while it dries. They're a good 15 years old and one has peeling edges which if I have to eventually, will rubber cement or sew back down.

On my workbench I have a huge (vinyl coated fabric? IDK) anti-static mat I use as a mouse pad, but my hand drags more on it than cloth. Also it has a copper mesh integrated into it for ESD conduction, which is slowly turning a subtle shade of green over the years.

Somewhere I have an OEM Dell mouse pad that has stiff woven fibers and doesn't seem like it will ever fall apart, but is not as cushioned as most.

I also have an Xtrac Ripper mouse pad that's lasted a long time (15 years or so), because of it's size, 11" x 17" so there is no wear on the edges to make the fabric separate, never get near the edges when mousing on it.

Frankly with modern laser mice, I don't need a mouse pad for tracking as much as I want some padded wrist support.

Last edited:
Mine is pretty cheap. Plastic top (has a lot of creases over the years) over maybe 1/4" of neoprene. Not sure how long I've had it, but cheap doesn't preclude durable. I think cloth tops tend to peel off faster.

I'm wondering if there's any real mini-Persian rug mousepad. I know there are ones patterned after Persian style rugs, but I mean a real one. Would probably be a nightmare with a real ball, but with modern optical sensors it probably doesn't affect it so much as long as the lint is cleaned off periodically.

Back