Logitech M325c no longer paired with original (non Unifying) receiver after being paired with Unifying receiver

I was playing around with the Unifying utility on my Mac after I found a orphaned Unifying receiver that I figured I should pair with an orphaned Unifying-compatible mouse (a Logitech M310). They didn't work together so I knew they weren't an original pair. I've bought so many of these over the years but never really played around with the pairing/unpairing software. I did have MacOS 10.15 Catalina, and the said it was compatible with up to 10.13, but I downloaded it anyways and it worked anyways and paired these. The Unifying utility noted that it was previously paired with an M325, which could have been one that I tossed a long time ago after a few too many drops.

But my kid normally uses an M325c that I got a couple of years ago. I wasn't sure if it was Unifying compatible as my kid managed to use it to the point where the label rubbed off. But the receiver that it came with wasn't Unifying (not sure why). I managed to pair it with one of the Unifying receivers just to see if it worked, but then I couldn't get it to work with the original receiver.

I saw some video that suggests using the Logitech Connection Utility, but that's apparently only available for Windows. Now I suppose I could use the one working PC in our house to do it - once my kid stops using it. If it doesn't work, I have one marginal mouse (doesn't work consistently) with a Unifying receiver that I could just pair with the M325c.

However, once one pairs a mouse with a Unifying receiver, is it supposed to stop working with the original receiver - non-Unifying or Unifying? It just seems kind of strange that it stopped working. Also - it seems that if a non-Unifying receiver is lost, the mouse/keyboard could probably be paired with a new one if there's one lying around.

I also have a Logitech mouse/keyboard that came paired to the same non-Unifying receiver. But they didn't work with the Unifying software, and I suppose that was a good thing because it would be a pain to pair it back to the original receiver.

Seems pretty complicated I'd just toss them and start over with new mouse. They are disposable and wear out anyway.
(esp logitech buttons)

Seems pretty complicated I'd just toss them and start over with new mouse. They are disposable and wear out anyway.
(esp logitech buttons)

I have an M325 that I've been using since 2015. I've had to clean it (especially lint in the optical scroll wheel) and some of the graphics have chipped off (it's got a circuit board pattern) but it works well. I've pulled the button shell out and some of the plastic pieces broke off, but I can't find a replacement like it and it still works really well.

They still sell the m325?

Yes, but not the exact "circuit board" graphics. The graphics didn't cost anything extra. I think I bought maybe 4 (in different colors/patterns) at the same time when they were $12.99 on sale. My kid had a habit of destroying computer mice. Bit into the scroll wheel twice of a couple of M305 models, so I figured I would need more. I wish I'd bought two of these.

91MX+d+G+YL._AC_SX300_SY300_.jpg

So I'm kind of bored and played around with the Logitech Connection Utility. Apparently that's only for reconnecting non-Unifying receivers, although it may be useful for connecting orphan devices with orphan receivers. It was previously useful for reconnecting that one I paired with a Unifying receiver. The utility still shows that the old device was paired to the receiver, but I guess it doesn't respond unless the mouse thinks it's paired to the receiver.

I had an older M305 that doesn't work well due to an unfortunate incident with sugary soft drink, although it still turns on and off, but the button just doesn't press reliably. I wanted to see if a Nano receiver that came with an M305 would pair with that M325c. The software recognized the receiver, but when I tried to pair it with the M325c it complained about not responding in time. But it did seem to react to an incompatible device being turned on.

So I'm kind of bored and played around with the Logitech Connection Utility. Apparently that's only for reconnecting non-Unifying receivers, although it may be useful for connecting orphan devices with orphan receivers. It was previously useful for reconnecting that one I paired with a Unifying receiver. The utility still shows that the old device was paired to the receiver, but I guess it doesn't respond unless the mouse thinks it's paired to the receiver.

I had an older M305 that doesn't work well due to an unfortunate incident with sugary soft drink, although it still turns on and off, but the button just doesn't press reliably. I wanted to see if a Nano receiver that came with an M305 would pair with that M325c. The software recognized the receiver, but when I tried to pair it with the M325c it complained about not responding in time. But it did seem to react to an incompatible device being turned on.

The utility lets you connect unifying devices and dongles, so that shouldn't be an issue. Before the official unifying hardware was released, Logitech had something similar but it wasn't fully compatible with the official unifying hardware. It sounds like you might have an older dongle or mouse.

The utility lets you connect unifying devices and dongles, so that shouldn't be an issue. Before the official unifying hardware was released, Logitech had something similar but it wasn't fully compatible with the official unifying hardware. It sounds like you might have an older dongle or mouse.

Mostly I've been just playing around with it just to figure out what works. Other than a Microsoft mouse that was a gift, our house is filled with Logitech wire mice and keyboards. We might even have some wired ones somewhere, but obviously they don't need a receiver. The last Bluetooth mouse we had was an Apple Wireless Mighty Mouse. That thing didn't work so well. It was kind of laggy, and I preferred a scroll wheel to that tiny little trackball that did 2D scrolling. It was supposed to have right and left click in the same shell (without separate buttons) but it often registered the wrong click and was lousy for games because of it.

I tried seeing what it does for a lot of the receivers in my house. Obviously the Unifying receivers will work with any Unifying compatible mouse or keyboard, and some didn't come without a Unifying receiver. I tried a few (like an M317c) and it wouldn't pair with any Unifying receiver nor with different non-Unifying receivers. The Nano Receiver from an M305 was specifically incompatible with anything newer, including the ones that weren't Unifying compatible. I also think the M170/K235 combo I've got will only work with the receiver that came with it. That receiver isn't recognized by any consumer Logitech pairing utility.

I think some people end up losing receivers and then buying new ones, but on sale I've seen M325 for $12.99 where they have the Unifying receiver. In that case just replace the whole setup, although for me I might have considered pairing a receiver with with my discontinued M325. Or just for the graphics I could just pull out the top plate and insert it into a new mouse.

Back