Just cleaned the scroll wheel on my Logitech optical mouse yesterday

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got an old Logitech M325 that's been working pretty well for a couple of years. I bought a whole bunch once because they were cheap, and even replaced a few because my kid had a habit of damaging them. Won't get into exactly what happened, but my kid no longer damages them..

However, the scroll wheel had this habit of scrolling down just fine, but if I tried to scroll up the effect was that it would scroll up for a short period and then stop. It was weird. I really liked how this one felt. Even new ones out of the package feel different - especially the click response, so I wanted to fix it if I could.

Pretty easy to just pry off the "button"/top cover, and I found a ton of dust inside. I could see some of it before taking the cover off, but I couldn't pick it out. I I just removed all this dust and tried using it before putting it back on, and all of a sudden it works perfectly again. Turns out that it would scroll just fine in one direction because the dust would go to one end and wouldn't block the sensor. But if I reversed it, the dust would move and after going a certain distance it would block the sensor. I believe it's an optical system using "spokes" where the sensor sees how fast they're moving and in what direction. I found a picture of a replacement scroll wheel.

[Linked Image]

I clean the smut off the active surfaces on a regular basis on my mouses. I keep a tiny jar of alcohol next to the computer for that purpose.

Originally Posted by Kestas
I clean the smut off the active surfaces on a regular basis on my mouses. I keep a tiny jar of alcohol next to the computer for that purpose.

I guess it does get pretty nasty, but for the most part it doesn't affect the operation of the mouse. But the scroll wheel seems to be the one part that is still mechanical in nature and attracts dust. I remember my first mechanical mouse where I'd pop out the rubber coated ball and had a cleaning kit. I would typically use a toothpick to try and clean out the gunk that got on the rollers as well as dust and hair trapped on the axles.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
I found Logitech's scroll is not as good as Microsoft, they get slippery instead of stay grippy over time.

Depends on the model. Mine has a textured rubber surface - more or less shallow dimples across the surface. It doesn't make much noise when scrolling, I do need to clean it off occasionally. I got a newer one that I tried out which is similar, but the scroll wheel design is different. The scroll wheel has little perpendicular grooves, which then make a lot of noise as it rolls.

I guess the weirdest one I remember was when I had one Apple's old wireless Bluetooth mouse. It has a 4-way scroll using this little ball at the top. I couldn't figure out any way to clean it after it started acting up. The other thing was there was no button per se - just clicks registered by pressing on the right or left side of the body. Sometimes it registered a right click when I wanted a left click, and vice versa.

I deny that this topic exists, but if it does, you can clean off a slippery silicone rubber covered wheel with strong detergent solution and scotch brite scrub pad (same as when the silicone rubber overmolding gets slippery).

You may want to blow out the dust out from inside your PC while you are housekeeping.

Originally Posted by y_p_w
I guess the weirdest one I remember was when I had one Apple's old wireless Bluetooth mouse. It has a 4-way scroll using this little ball at the top. I couldn't figure out any way to clean it after it started acting up. The other thing was there was no button per se - just clicks registered by pressing on the right or left side of the body. Sometimes it registered a right click when I wanted a left click, and vice versa.

I remember that mouse (mighty mouse if I remember right), they are evil and they all died too early.

I switched to a Microsoft mouse and all is well afterward.

Originally Posted by PandaBear
Originally Posted by y_p_w

I remember that mouse (mighty mouse if I remember right), they are evil and they all died too early.

I switched to a Microsoft mouse and all is well afterward.

I just switched back to a wired Logitech, then an M305. I preferred that button design, which was quiet, but the scroll wheel made a clicking sound. But after some unusual damage I got several M325 when they were super cheap. Those have a louder button click but almost no sound from the scroll wheel.

I use rechargeable AAs and randomly put a charged AA in there every week or two.

My wife uses a Microsoft wireless mouse. I don't like it, and it goes through batteries fast. Not a huge issue using rechargeables, but she used to complain about it before I let her use my stash of batteries.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back