Mounting a TV on wall with steel studs...

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

When we built the house, in the basement the wall studs around the outside of the room are steel. It was against my better judgement. As I eventually finished the entire basement, I cursed those stupid steel studs the whole way... I just don't like screwing the drywall into the steel studs.

Fast forward about 10 years, and now I'm trying to mount a 40-inch TV on the wall. Ugh, I had practically forgotten about the steel studs until I started drilling. The mount kit has some beefy screws, but as you can imagine, once those screws go in they don't remain fixed, they can flop all around. I tried two screws and then gave up. I'm just not feelin' good about the whole thing.

Any ideas?

how much does your 40" TeeVee weighs?

for steel studs depending on how thick the gauge is (when originally installed), some can be as strong as wooden studs.

In that case: you just need to find the proper screws/drywall plugs that will do the job and support the load w/o distorting the drywall(over time).

Q.

Thanks guys... some good ideas here. I knew this would get the juices flowing... I'll try again.

I've mounted a 100+ lb drop screen to steel studs. The trick is to find the right anchors and follow their installation instructions.

In my particular instance I anchored a 1"x4"x12' piece of oak to the drywall/steel studs, painted it the same color as the wall, then used that to mount the Drop screen to.

Just another idea.

Originally Posted By: Trav
I assume your trying to mount it to the metal stud correct? Try snaptoggle bolts for the stud and the drywall.
http://www.toggler.com/products/snaptoggle/overview.php

These are simply the best toggle bolts I have ever used. The design maximizes it strength. It requires a smaller hole vs. other styles. It is fail safe vs. an anchor type. They are a joy to use. I wrote a letter to them and they replied, asking to use it publicly, but my workplace does not allow endorsements (although Nike seems to have a huge presence on our team uniforms).

Make sure you have a good bit to drill through the thin metal stud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back