Motul 8100 E-Tech 0w-40

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi.
what you guys thinking of Motul 8100 E-tech 0w-40 ester engine oil? Better oil than Mobil1 0w-40?

API SL
ACEA A3/B3/B4
MB Sheet 229.3
VW 502/505/503.01

I have 2 bottles in my garage, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. The specs are oh so close to Mobil 1 0w40, so performance should be just the same.

BTW, after a virgin oil analysis on this board, it was concluded that this is actually a PAO / Ester mix, not 100% Ester as Motul claim.

quote:

what you guys thinking of Motul 8100 E-tech 0w-40 ester engine oil? Better oil than Mobil1 0w-40?

No. I don't think any Motul oil is better then M1. It's also bad to have any oil that is 100% ester based for a street driven car. You need some PAO mixed in. If your looking for a good 40wt oil, I'd give the new Amsoil 5w-40 a shot. I think this oil is going to be good. HT/HS of 4.2 and a Noak of 5.5%.

Hi.
According to the Motul this is a PAO/Ester blend.
I thought mobil would be a better oil than this then again who knows,A UOA should prove this.
Unlike euro.. car makers japanese dont have any oil specs on their cars.0w-40 any better than 10w-30 oils? Why GM and lot of car makers recommending 10w-30 grade oil? Just for the fuel economy?

Why cant use 100% ester oil on street cars?
shocked.gif

quote:

Toyota18:
Why cant use 100% ester oil on street cars? :eek:

Well, you *can* use a 100% ester oil on street cars. Whether or not it's a good idea ....

"Esters" refer to diesters and polyolesters, of which there are thousands.

Both families don't handle water (condensate in engine, combustion byproduct) as well as mineral oil or a PAO (polyalphaolefin). If you do largely long trips and keep your engine hot, that may not mean anything. Racing is another application where you don't deal with moisture.

Polyolesters present another problem: they're usually more solvent than mineral oils and PAO, which can cause problems with seals and gaskets.

On the other hand you can get much of the advantage of the polyolester - superior film strength, an affinity for metal, and resistance to heat - by blending a bit in with a PAO.

Hi.
The bad side of ester oils are
1)viscosity limitation.Most are low visco.. oils
2)Love water.So bad for winter use if you do lot of short trips.
3)very expensive.
The Good side is
1)High stability at high temperature.
2)Ability to form extremely strong film.
3)High lubricity.
4)Metallic compatibility by polarity.
5)High cleaning properties.
Biodegradable.

But still am not sure how good Ester oils are on street cars.Most of ester oil doesn't have cleaning detergents due to natural cleaning power.

quote:

Originally posted by buster:

quote:

No. I don't think any Motul oil is better then M1. It's also bad to have any oil that is 100% ester based for a street driven car. You need some PAO mixed in. If your looking for a good 40wt oil, I'd give the new Amsoil 5w-40 a shot. I think this oil is going to be good. HT/HS of 4.2 and a Noak of 5.5%.

I'm with Buster on both counts...I do NOT believe Motul is better than M1, especially if better includes consideration of all the specs...M1 0W40 qualifies for MB 229.5; according to your specs list above...Motul 8100 E-Tech does not. I also agree with Buster on the second assertion. My gut tells me Amsoil 5W40 Euro Oil is gonna be a great one...(don't worry, my SLX is down in the oil cellar; it can't see this email
wink.gif
)

My gut tells me the Motul will show lower iron wear(at least)

I'll put a PAO/Ester mix up against a straight PAO; any time; any place; under any moon or any star alignment... {SLX{GC} is an assumed PAO/Ester mix}
wink.gif

Those are interesting comments guys as I was at a local BMW dealer yesterday and saw the stuff again and was considering trying it for my next OCI.

The parts guy says it's replacing the M-1 0-40 that was sitting on the shelf next to it because it was a better product.

I just find the comments surprising....if Redline is better than M-1 because it is ester-based, then why would Motul not be a better product? It was priced at $11.50 CDN.

How do you guys think it would compare with BC??

quote:

Originally posted by Dr. T:
....if Redline is better than M-1 because it is ester-based...

Dr T,
I'm not ready to concede that point...

quote:

How do you guys think it would compare with BC??

Since I don't KNOW if Motul is good or not, I won't speculate if it is better or worse than BC; however, for now, I would go with the BC because I feel more comfortable with the formulation when doing long OCIs in a street engine. This is what I should have said in the comparison to M1.

I don't think Toyota18 mentioned long OCI's.

I looked at the Motul 0w-40 and decided to go for the 300v range instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back