Motorcycle suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.bikeexif.com/yamaha-xsr900-review

The new yamaha XSR naked bike is an awesome blend of modern naked bike with retro style. Yamahas are also incredibly reliable in my experience.

If you want to spend less money the Yamaha FZ07 naked twin cylinder is a great commuter bike as well. both yamahas are very affordable and make great torque. Very usable city riding power.

Last edited:
I'm finally at a coffee shop with a laptop and can type a proper response.

Firstly, thank you all for the responses so far.

Nitronoise, spasm3, yvon_la I think the V-Star, Boulevard, Sportster and the HD Street are a little too much of a cruiser for me (although the HD Street is by far my favorite of the HD lineup).

AuthorEditor, I love the 500 Ninjas, almost got one when I started riding, but it might be too much of a compromise for me, with the added plastic and double swing arm. Plus I kind of feel that it isn't much of a step up for me.

RatBikeRandy, I want to like V-Stroms, but it's the styling that turns me off. I like Suzukis and that it's a V-twin, but the half-faired look isn't my favorite.

Trav, a BMW wasn't something I really thought much about. I know a lot of them have the single sided swingarm that I like, but I always assumed the boxers made the entire bike very wide. Plus they have the different front suspension that I don't know much about. Looking at the R1200R and the previous R1150R, though, they are actually quick high on my list now. Their reputation for long distance reliability is very nice. And they're air-cooled!

Triumphs, particularly the Speed Triple is a a surprise. I didn't realize it had the single sided swingarm, and the parallel triple should make it narrower than some other bikes.

Donny, the XSR is also a surprise to me. I haven't quite kept up with new bikes, and the XSR 900 and 700 seem like good narrow options compared to the Honda hornet or even CB1100.

So, as of right now, not having put my leg over any of these bikes, my top picks in no particular order:

2006-2008 Ducati Monster S2R (800 or 1000)
5th or 6th Gen Honda VFR800 (too much plastic?)
2005+ Triumph Speed Triple
BMW R1150R/R1200R (kind of wide?)

Forgoing the SSS (Single Sided Swingarm):
Suzuki GS500 (I liked it a lot, maybe I'll get another??)
Suzuki SV650 (common, easy to find, V-twin, Japanese reliability)
Honda CB1100, 599, 919 (these really only makes the list because they're Hondas)
Suzuki GSF650 (make the list because it's air cooled)
Yamaha XSR700/XSR900 (too new to have a used market, I don't think I love it enough to buy new)
Triumph Thruxton (older air-cooled model)

Reviewing my list, my top picks in order are:
Monster S2R800 or S2R1000, maybe 796
Suzuki SV650
BMW R1150R/R1200R
Triumph Speed Triple

Thanks everyone!!

Something to keep in mind is dealerships, at least around here, will not work on a bike over 15 years old. I was lucky enough to find a good indy mechanic, otherwise I would be S.O.L. when things I can't or don't want to do come up.

Originally Posted By: Inspecktor
Something to keep in mind is dealerships, at least around here, will not work on a bike over 15 years old. I was lucky enough to find a good indy mechanic, otherwise I would be S.O.L. when things I can't or don't want to do come up.

That's a good point, I would really like to be able to all the maintenance myself, even if it means buying some specialized tools. I think there are at least a couple independent shops around here that should be willing to work on some older bikes. I have a friend with an old CB650 that they take to a local shop. I know those older Japanese bikes are probably much more common though.

I'm under the assumption that something like a Suzuki SV650 will be easier(and cheaper) to maintain than a Ducati Monster, based purely on the volume of vehicles sold and the reputation of Japanese motorcycles and engineering vs Italian design. Right? Wrong?

If you never rode a BMW boxer I would before making any decision. Yes it is a little wide but you will amazed at how well balanced and smooth they are.
They are very easy to ride, no chassis drama or weird power bands, the front suspension is well proven and very low maintenance.

Originally Posted By: Trav
If you never rode a BMW boxer I would before making any decision. Yes it is a little wide but you will amazed at how well balanced and smooth they are.
They are very easy to ride, no chassis drama or weird power bands, the front suspension is well proven and very low maintenance.

I'll make sure to try one out before I get anything. Is there anything that you know of to look for in particular when looking at them? Price-wise, I might be looking at a slightly older one, although, these bikes must be keepers, I hardly see any used ones online. That 2007 you linked looks nice (although cycletrader appears to be having server issues at the moment).

I saw a last-year's model FZ-07 for not a lot of scratch, new, a few days ago. I was really surprised at the low buy-in price for one. Looked like a good motorcycle.

The Kenny Roberts-inspired colouring on a new XSR was fantastic. Would love to test-ride one of those!

John.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Reviewing my list, my top picks in order are:
Monster S2R800 or S2R1000, maybe 796
Suzuki SV650
BMW R1150R/R1200R
Triumph Speed Triple

I don't see a bad choice on that list. I'd jump on the best example you can find of any of them.

OP, clearly, you WANT a Ducati, so I say go for it! I've never owned one, but have friends who do, and from what I've seen, reliability is slightly below the Japanese bikes. They seem particularly sensitive to battery voltage - let them run down just a little, and they won't start, so a battery tender is a must. Also, service costs can be eye watering! And the dry clutch models aren't always happy in heavy traffic. All that aside, I find Dukes marvelous to ride, but in your shoes, I'd honestly go for a Suzuki SV650. Can't wait to see pics of whatever you end up with!

Last edited:
If you want Italian there is also the Moto Guzzi Griso. If I had room for one more bike, it would be on the shortlist for me.

Originally Posted By: Trav

I'll make sure to try one out before I get anything. Is there anything that you know of to look for in particular when looking at them? Price-wise, I might be looking at a slightly older one, although, these bikes must be keepers, I hardly see any used ones online. That 2007 you linked looks nice (although cycletrader appears to be having server issues at the moment).

Nothing noteworthy, the whole bike is very well made and rock solid dependable. The low center of gravity makes them incredibly maneuverable.
I have owned a few airheads over the years and liked them a lot.

Yeah, it's getting clear to me that the SV650 is almost exactly what I NEED in a bike, but that I just WANT a Monster.

I will definitely keep you all up to date as I get to trying some of these bikes.

I genuinely thought a thunderstorm was coming a few years back when I heared a guy start his Monster in a nearby garden. That thing had awesome carbon slip-ons and sent shivers down my spine.
Just a story I thought I'd share. Anyway, you can still sell any bike you choose if you don't like it in the long term.
Plenty of GS500's for sale all the time.
Have you seen the NEW SV650? Looks sweet.

Originally Posted By: Atesz792
I genuinely thought a thunderstorm was coming a few years back when I heared a guy start his Monster in a nearby garden. That thing had awesome carbon slip-ons and sent shivers down my spine.
Just a story I thought I'd share. Anyway, you can still sell any bike you choose if you don't like it in the long term.

Yeah! those new SV650s look great, and for the price, I might as well buy new, although, as far as I know, they're not quite out in the market yet.

I have officially talked myself out of buying a Monster, or any Ducati. About 24 hours ago, I was certain I wanted a Ducati, then I started researching about Ducati ownership. The newer Monster 796 that I was looking at needs a timing belt replacement every 15,000mi or 24 months, and they have issues with the plastic tank deforming due to the ethanol in gas. Plus, I've realized that I really only commute with the bike, I haven't taken a joy ride in over 2 years.

I think I'm back to a Japanese bike, or a BMW.

I agree though, that's the beauty of the used motorcycle market. As long as it's not crashed, it will still hold most of the value from when you buy it.

There is an old saying that Ducatis can turn riders into mechanics. Which is why I am more of a Guzzi fan myself. They are simpler and less refined, but not as maintenance heavy. And over the past few years have upped the game in reliability.

Plus a Flying V equipped bike is just a unique experience to ride.

Let us know what you get and happy hunting!

I think that's the correct decision for an everyday commuter. I love Dukes, but I wouldn't want to be depending on one to get me to and from work each day. And don't forget, an SV650 will feel like a rocketship compared to the old GS500!

Originally Posted By: Atesz792

Yeah! those new SV650s look great, and for the price, I might as well buy new, although, as far as I know, they're not quite out in the market yet.

I have officially talked myself out of buying a Monster, or any Ducati. About 24 hours ago, I was certain I wanted a Ducati, then I started researching about Ducati ownership. The newer Monster 796 that I was looking at needs a timing belt replacement every 15,000mi or 24 months, and they have issues with the plastic tank deforming due to the ethanol in gas. Plus, I've realized that I really only commute with the bike, I haven't taken a joy ride in over 2 years.

I think I'm back to a Japanese bike, or a BMW.

I agree though, that's the beauty of the used motorcycle market. As long as it's not crashed, it will still hold most of the value from when you buy it.

Life is short, if you have the means buy the Ducati and be proud of it. Good luck!

Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
You might cruise the road warriors section over at ADV...

http://advrider.com/index.php?forums/road-warriors.11/

There are multiple page (and year) threads on a lot of different bikes....

Thanks! I'll check that forum out. I'll be checking out a local shop with some Ducatis and BMWs tonight, but I found a reasonably SV650 on Craigslist that I'll be checking out tomorrow.

The Monster market is a little sparse this time of year, particularly the model I want. For the price that I was looking at for a newer 796, I can buy an SV650 to ride now, while giving me time to shop around for a good, slightly older S2R Monster that I like more.

That is, unless I fall in love with a BMW tonight.

Thanks again, everyone. I really appreciate all the input.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back