Motorcycle axle grease?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The service manual for my Honda says to apply a thin coat of grease before installation but does not specify which kind.

I have some Honda Hi-Temp Urea Grease (green and jelly-like), brake caliper bolt grease (a black paste), and generic white lithium grease in a can. I'm thinking I should use the urea... any suggestions?

FYI, there was practically no lube present when I removed the original axle (it's a new bike). It was greasy to the touch but had no visible lubricant.

Last edited:
I always used a thin film Mobil 1 grease on mine, no pitting or problems in 12 yrs and 160K on one bike.
Mobil 1 is very water resistant which makes it perfect for bike axles, snow blower augers and parts that operate in a wet/damp environment.

Use anything. There are no moving parts in contact with the axle. The grease or antiseize is just to make it easy to remove.

Originally Posted By: Ken2
Use anything. There are no moving parts in contact with the axle. The grease or antiseize is just to make it easy to remove.

Agree.

Honda at least thier off-road bikes its common to come from the factory with little grease on critical parts like steering head bearings to name one. I tear the bike down completely when new and use a liberal dose of Bel-Ray all purpose grease where needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back