Motorcraft Synthetic GL-4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was on the Motorcraft website, and stumbled upon this: Mototcraft full syn. 75w-90
I never saw it mentioned on this site before, so I wasn't sure you guys knew it existed. So if you're looking for a synthetic GL-4 fluid for your manual trans, this might be worth trying.

its been mentioned a few times. its a very good fluid, i have it in the trans on my Volvo. it is made in Germany, lists for about $17.94 a quart.

Yes, very good stuff but quite expensive when you consider that you can get Redline or Amsoil for around $10/qt.

shocked2.gif
Had no idea it was that expensive.

This high cost is keeping it out of the hands of enthusiasts, and we are not getting much real world feedback about it.
It think it would be great. The $ is a deal killer.

Yeah, it may be a deal killer for you, but it saved me from giving up on my '08 Mazdaspeed. The car had a 1-2 grind that I could not cure, no matter what I used.
I found out about it while googling GL-4 trans fluids. A little more Internet leg work and I gave it a try.
The cars shifting was transformed immediately. I have used the car in temps ranging from 20 to 106 degrees with no problems whatsoever. I do baby the trannie for the first minute or so after a cold start, but that's just as much for the engine as the trans.

It boils down to ths: you get what you pay for whether the bottle says XT-M5-QS or Amsoil or Redline. The goog stuff just costs more!

If I were to hear that Ford was going to discontinue the XT-M5-QS, I'd buy a case of it, just to have it - it's that good.
Cheers!

It greatly improved the shift feel in my S60R. the stuff is all that and a bag of chips. plus me getting it for free helped a ton, thank you warranty.

this stuff is considered the bomb on miata.net. it is the only stuff that consistently tames the Aisin 6spd, folks who have tried RL or Amsoil both tend to agree it's better. the only stuff that really competes against it is SF MTL-R (which you can't get anymore) and Honda MTF-2.

Originally Posted By: wannafbody
I think Miata owners have shrines dedicated to the Motorcraft Syn fluid.

the S2000 owners aren't far behind. i don't think Aisin ever heard of six-sigma, and they both use the same transmission.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I was on the Motorcraft website, and stumbled upon this: Mototcraft full syn. 75w-90
I never saw it mentioned on this site before, so I wasn't sure you guys knew it existed. So if you're looking for a synthetic GL-4 fluid for your manual trans, this might be worth trying.

If you read the description from that link more closely you will note that it is not GL4 fluid. It says to be used where GL4 is recommended.

Actually, it isn't much of a gear oil at all. It is very nearly 10W40 synthetic (Group III) motor oil with a very high TBN to fight sludge.

There are better choices. Choices that are less expensive as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back