Motorcraft SB 5W30, 3,516, 04 Explorer 4.0L

Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted by kschachn
That Motorcraft sheared quite a bit. But that's history - now since Motorcraft 5w30 will only be selling in full synthetic.
No more synthetic blend with SP / GF-6.
You're saying it is the base oil molecules that shear in an oil?
You want to know this?..... ask a scientist. I really don't care.
I'm guessing Motorcraft full syn in 5w30 will shear less. Future (UOAs) will tell.

What? You're the one that posted that shearing will no longer be an issue because the oil is full synthetic. Why would you post that if you have no clue as to whether it is correct or not?

Talk about nonsense. Post something and then when questioned about it say it is my fault for asking.

What I stated was the synblend is now history, not the shearing.
Get another cup of coffee.

"That Motorcraft sheared quite a bit. But that's history - now since Motorcraft 5w30 will only be selling in full synthetic."

I don't need another cup of coffee but someone needs to slow down posting and think about what they typed before hitting the button.

Shearing was not my intent in that post. Please understand and get over it.
NOBODY on this board knows the extent of what full synthetic Motorcraft in SP will shear.
Seriously, how would I - or anyone here know this? There's never been a UOA yet.
Now remember..... no decaf.....lol. That means me too.... after reading my typo error you quoted.

Last edited:
Shearing was not my intent in that post. Please understand and get over it.
NOBODY on this board knows the extent of what full synthetic Motorcraft in SP will shear.
Seriously, how would I - or anyone here know this? There's never been a UOA yet.

No problem, I guess I shouldn't have read what you wrote.

All I know is this synblend has done a fine job over the years. Both the Motorcraft and Maxlife get very positive reviews here.
I'm guessing Ford had to move up, when faced with oil strength improvements needed for fighting fuel dilution and timing chain concerns of SP

It'll be interesting to see if other automakers follow-suit and put synthetic-only in all their factory engines. The South Koreans will be last,,,,lol

Last edited:
I run Motorcraft 5w30 semi/syn in my F150 2.7 Eco. IF that oil is going away, I hate that. Based on an Oil Analyzers analysis, I change it on a 7500 mile basis and currently have 60,500 miles on my truck. Confirmation of it's quality comes from a friends 2016 2.7 F150 that is approaching 375,000 miles on a steady diet of Motorcraft 5w30 semi/syn and changes when the monitor tells him to, which is on a 10,000 mile cycle.

Back