Motorcraft oil is NOISY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Bought my Escape with the 2.5L engine from the Ford dealer with fresh Motorcraft oil and filter and today it was time for the first oil change, with SynPower 5W-30 and a Wix filter. Within a few seconds of startup I noticed how much quieter the engine was. It's not quiet and smooth like either of my V8s but it sounds more like a new Duramax than an 80s Mercedes diesel now
laugh.gif

Anybody else have this experience with this oil?

What you heard was either a lower viscosity oil that was removed, or because the oil was spent / used. I see Fords running by me every day walking my dog. They use Motorcraft mostly and the engines are quiet.

Being you never mentioned "New Escape".... You sometimes ask for issues buying used vehicles - not knowing what the prior owner did with that engine -- not knowing if the dealer really did change that oil when he handed you the keys. Had you bought that Escape new, you would not be complaining about Motorcraft oil today. Conoco Philips is good stuff.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Originally Posted By: dogememe
Bought my Escape with the 2.5L engine from the Ford dealer with fresh Motorcraft oil and filter and today it was time for the first oil change, with SynPower 5W-30 and a Wix filter. Within a few seconds of startup I noticed how much quieter the engine was. It's not quiet and smooth like either of my V8s but it sounds more like a new Duramax than an 80s Mercedes diesel now
laugh.gif

Anybody else have this experience with this oil?

What you heard was either a lower viscosity oil that was removed, or because the oil was spent / used. I see Fords running by me every day walking my dog. They use Motorcraft mostly and the engines are quiet.

Being you never mentioned "New Escape".... You sometimes ask for issues buying used vehicles - not knowing what the prior owner did with that engine -- not knowing if the dealer really did change that oil when he handed you the keys. Had you bought that Escape new, you would not be complaining about Motorcraft oil today. Conoco Philips is good stuff.

So you're saying that the brand new oil from the dealer when I bought the car was spent? And an engine with 66K with no signs of abuse and absolutely no other issues has mechanical issues? lol

I used to have a little test lab when I worked in Texas. I could hear the difference in my own car, a 1962 F-150 with the 312ci Thunderbird engine. The titanium additive is exactly what you think. Itey, bitey metal ball bearings. When you start your engine and the crank shaft gets pressurized those bb's are rattlin' around in the journal throws with some flying out an oil hole to a rod journal. It flies free and ricochet's off the engine block falling into the pan. Now how could all that happen and not make a racket?? All you have to do is study Hydrogenated Styrene–Diene Copolymer Viscosity Modifiers and it'l be plain as day. I screwed a folded baby diaper to the underside of my rocker covers and that helped alot. You mite give that a shot.
29.gif

Originally Posted By: fordman65
Maybe it might be associated with Valvoline putting the titanium additive in their oils now.
A few weeks ago when I heard this. I emailed Valvoline and their tech team responded and did confirm that Valvoline is putting a titanium additive into their oils.

I have always used Castrol with titanium or Kendall that has the titanium additive.
My cars with those oils where noticable quieter than when I tried a oil without the titanium additive.

Just when you think you’ve heard it all.....

Originally Posted By: PimTac
Originally Posted By: fordman65
Maybe it might be associated with Valvoline putting the titanium additive in their oils now.
A few weeks ago when I heard this. I emailed Valvoline and their tech team responded and did confirm that Valvoline is putting a titanium additive into their oils.

I have always used Castrol with titanium or Kendall that has the titanium additive.
My cars with those oils where noticable quieter than when I tried a oil without the titanium additive.

Just when you think you’ve heard it all.....

lol

i used to use MC 5w-20 in a 7th gen Honda AT V6 and it transformed the car. Any1 get this in an old school Asian car with this oil, chime in!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back