Motorcraft oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: hatt
Originally Posted By: Hyde244
I'd encourage everyone to realize that one torn Motorcraft media is hardly an accurate sample of the millions of filters that are sold each year. Every filter manufacturer will have a bad egg.

Motorcraft is used by many on these boards, and has been a very good filter. Arguably the best filter you can buy for under $4.
A few filters doesn't sound like much until you realize only a tiny portion of the filters are checked. The people cutting open filters for fun is very limited. The manufactures likely cut open a bunch but they aren't posting them on BITOG.

Maybe there needs to be a thread in which to report the filter you cut open, and whether or not it was damaged - kind of like how theoil changes for the year are compiled. That way we would have some hard data on the % of filters that fail.

Mods, can we set that up as a sticky?

Originally Posted By: Kuato

Maybe there needs to be a thread in which to report the filter you cut open, and whether or not it was damaged - kind of like how theoil changes for the year are compiled. That way we would have some hard data on the % of filters that fail.

The only way I would trust the "damaged filter media" sticky or the data itself is if I saw an entire video of a filter being disassembled, from start to finish. If somebody has a grudge against a certain brand of filter (and there's a lot of it on this site), what is stopping them from intentionally putting a tear in the media and posting it as fact?

Originally Posted By: Kruse
Originally Posted By: Kuato

The only way I would trust the "damaged filter media" sticky or the data itself is if I saw an entire video of a filter being disassembled, from start to finish. If somebody has a grudge against a certain brand of filter (and there's a lot of it on this site), what is stopping them from intentionally putting a tear in the media and posting it as fact?

Integrity. Although many here hate certain brands, most will grudgingly agree when something they dislike is actually good. Plus, buying a filter, cutting it open and damaging it just to post on an internet forum? No way..smacks of insnity.

Motorcraft filters are the best value-for-money for a Ford product given the proven quality and low price at Wally's.
01.gif

I've never cut one open myself, so who knows...I may have had a bad one and never knew it, but until it can be demonstrated that the quality has gone downhill, I will continue to use them.

They say "ignorance is bliss"...maybe that's why I'm always in a good mood.
grin2.gif

I dont know I am thinking about leaving the FL820s because of the purolator issues.

Who else makes a identical spec bypass valve?

Originally Posted By: rw19
I dont know I am thinking about leaving the FL820s because of the purolator issues.

Who else makes a identical spec bypass valve?

Thus far Puro's media problems have not shown up in the Motorcraft filters FYI.

For a near identical quality clone of the FL-820s, I'd suggest the Napa Gold by Wix. They can be caught on sale from time to time at fantastic prices too, picked up 5 last Saturday, most for $3.45 each! Napa Silvers are almost always on sale for about 3 bucks and are another quality filter, although you will get a nitrile ADBV with the Silver instead of the Gold's silicone ADBV.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I've been using ACDelco PF47's but I search out the non-ecore original versions. They always come out with stiff straight pleats and even spacing. The only thing I wish they had was a silicone ADBV.

I prefer having a silicone ADBV, but I don't obsess that much. The FL1A I've used for many years doesn't have one, nor did the AC alternative I've used. Hastings doesn't, and the current Wix specified for my G does not. Perhaps the Wix for your application does have the silicone ADBV, since that is the usual way that Wix does things.

Great Oil Filter IMO, and for the $. Plus the way the bypass is at the top and if you get one that end with S its silicone ADBV

like 400-S

some do have Black Rubber ADBV however they are still great oil filter
when you look at a MC oil filter cut open they look very heavy duty and well built and lots of pleats.

Its hard to find them in my area for my car... I have a HONDA...

I know MC 810 is the size for my car but AAP dont have them in the store and AZ dont have them in the store and Wallymart dont and Orielys dont.

I could order one,, but Nahh... If I do see one in a store for my car I would buy it right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back