Motorcraft oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wondering if anyone knows who makes Motorcraft filters and how do they compare to wix, better, worse or so close its a toss up? thanks

purolator makes them they have been good oil filters im not sure about now purolater has been having quality issues according to some on this board. Im not sure how they compare at one time their price was below the others and their quality was good but now i dont know

People on here have been cutting them open since the Purolator tears started. The motorcrafts seem to not be affected by those issues. Great filters and with discount codes from Advance, they can be had for less than $3.

very good filters, made by purolator. Purolator makes performax, mororcraft, quaker state, pennzoil oil filters. Just as info, Wix (maker of napa, carquest, autoxtra) are also very good, solid filters. i have a Ford 5.0L v8 engine with a motorcraft FL1A filter in it now.

I believe that at the end of the day with all of these metal end cap problems that people will prefer cartridge or composite end cap oil filters. The cartridge is best IMO because you inspect the media on every install and there is no end cap or ADBV or case to fail.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The metal end caps come unglued from the filter media. See thread here: BITOG Search

The metal end caps MAY become unglued. The way that Merkava's statement reads is that all of them do. I have seen other brands do this as well. Here is a quote from that same thread that states what I have experienced:
Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Endcaps coming off due to poor bonding of the potting material to the metal is not unusual and not generally a cause to worry. If the potting material stays intact, then spring pressure is enough to seal the metal to it and there is no bypass. That comes from a couple of oil filter pros. If the potting is cracked, broken or if the media has pulled out or torn at the potting, then you have a problem. Overall it isn't a good sign but not a death sentence or a reason to hate all MCs, or any brand. I've had a couple (Wix & Puro) and seen a few more here. This is one reason Fram likes the fiber endcaps... you don't see this because the glue bonds well to the fiber.

At the end of the day, in any product that is mass produced there are going to be issues. There is no such thing as a perfect product and considering the millions of filters produced each year, I am frankly surprised there are not more issues. There very well could be because the sampling that we see here on BITOG is quite small and "internet amplification" tends to echo bad news versus good news-which is the same IRL. With all of that said, Motorcraft filters are some of the best out there--especially at the price point where they sit. I would (and have) used them with confidence all the way to 15K miles.

I'd encourage everyone to realize that one torn Motorcraft media is hardly an accurate sample of the millions of filters that are sold each year. Every filter manufacturer will have a bad egg.

Motorcraft is used by many on these boards, and has been a very good filter. Arguably the best filter you can buy for under $4.

Originally Posted By: Doog
I believe that at the end of the day with all of these metal end cap problems that people will prefer cartridge or composite end cap oil filters. The cartridge is best IMO because you inspect the media on every install and there is no end cap or ADBV or case to fail.
I have to agree with the cartridge sentiment. There's no hiding something being off with construction. The only way to tell something went wrong with a spin on is if the engine acts funny, blows up, or the .001% chance someone cuts it open for fun.

Originally Posted By: Hyde244
I'd encourage everyone to realize that one torn Motorcraft media is hardly an accurate sample of the millions of filters that are sold each year. Every filter manufacturer will have a bad egg.

Motorcraft is used by many on these boards, and has been a very good filter. Arguably the best filter you can buy for under $4.
A few filters doesn't sound like much until you realize only a tiny portion of the filters are checked. The people cutting open filters for fun is very limited. The manufactures likely cut open a bunch but they aren't posting them on BITOG.

Motorcrafts are great, tremendous value filters especially if your vehicle will take an "S" series. Thus far they appear to have mostly evaded Puro's recent issues too.

Originally Posted By: hatt
A few filters doesn't sound like much until you realize only a tiny portion of the filters are checked. The people cutting open filters for fun is very limited. The manufactures likely cut open a bunch but they aren't posting them on BITOG.
And that's my point.

The only indicators we have thus far are a few PureOne oil filters posted to BITOG. Hardly enough to start raising any legitimate concern.

And that's my point.

The only indicators we have thus far are a few PureOne oil filters posted to BITOG. Hardly enough to start raising any legitimate concern.

I think you're looking at it backwards. If problems are consistently noted in the tiny sample size generated by filter cutting BITOG'ers, which they have been, the actual problem is likely very widespread.

As stated they are made by Purolator to Ford specs and a very good filter
You can run them for at least 7500 miles if your engine is in good shape and you use a name brand oil
Great buy at less than 4.00$

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The metal end caps come unglued from the filter media.

And you don't like soggy, oily cardboard either, to paraphrase another filter thread. Given your OCIs, you probably don't bother with an oil filter at all and just modify the housing to complete the lubrication circuit, right?
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak

And you don't like soggy, oily cardboard either, to paraphrase another filter thread. Given your OCIs, you probably don't bother with an oil filter at all and just modify the housing to complete the lubrication circuit, right?
wink.gif

I've been using ACDelco PF47's but I search out the non-ecore original versions. They always come out with stiff straight pleats and even spacing. The only thing I wish they had was a silicone ADBV.

"A" bad egg requires "A" customer who cuts filters open, plus reports same on the internet.

If there's 1:1000 bad eggs, and 1:1000 bad customers, then the chances of a single bad egg landing in the bad customer's hands is 1:1000000...

I'm no oil filter expert,But here is something from my own experience:

On my 2003 Ford Ranger I use the Fl-820S.
I once used a Purolator P1 and had startup rattles.

Withe the Fl-820S, No Rattles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back