Motorcraft FL500

Status
Not open for further replies.
I noticed today that one of the FL500 filters I have appears that when it was pressed together the orange rubber, I think drainback valve, was not exactly in place. A part of it is pinched between the metal and sticking out into the thread area. Will this be ok to use still?

Originally Posted By: TMWILSON
I noticed today that one of the FL500 filters I have appears that when it was pressed together the orange rubber, I think drainback valve, was not exactly in place. A part of it is pinched between the metal and sticking out into the thread area. Will this be ok to use still?

Can you show us a picture? As long as the ADBV is in place there should be no harm however, I'd probably take it back and exchange it.

I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach the pics? Did not think it would be this hard?

Originally Posted By: TMWILSON
I am having a hard time figuring out how to attach the pics? Did not think it would be this hard?

Easiest way is to upload it to image shack and get a link for the forum format.

I would NOT use it. Take it back if possible and exchange for another new filter.

Between this and the puro classic media tears, I'm really starting to question Purolator's quality as of late.

That is definitely DEFECTIVE.
frown.gif
Don't put that on your vehicle.

Take it back if you can and exchange, unfortunately though if you do it's likely to end back out on the shelf for some other less savvy slob to buy.
06.gif

Originally Posted By: volk06
Between this and the puro classic media tears, I'm really starting to question Purolator's quality as of late.

It does seem that we've seen an uptick in the quality issues from Puro, MC, and even Wix. But we need to keep things in perspective and not jump to any conclusions.

I know we're just more critical (certainly BITOGers are a very picky lot), and we must be cognizant that information sharing (the 'net) makes for easy wild-fire like transer of this stuff. What used to happen was localized, and now it's world-wide. Unless we have the real warranty data, we can only SWAG it with a wide berth. Used to be that you would show your garage mate the failed filter; now the whole world gets to see it. So we percieve that instances of failures are up, when that may not be the case at all. Industry quality is likely improving, but we "think" it's getting worse, because some many of us have the ability to say "Lookee here! This is wrong!". Let's face it; I'd not likely know any of you if we were not on this site. But now I can see failed fitlers from across the world. But, that does not tell me the actual failure rate; the true data is obscured from view. We only see instances, not trends.

Ironically, it seems like Fram is turning heads with the TG and FU; making people think twice about the good value in their offerings.

My, how the world turns on perceptions ...

Last edited:
in this case perception seems to be reality. what we see on this website is just a very small sample but that(to me) makes this a lot worse because of so many failures in such a small sampling. like I said in another thread, I always used Purolator and mostly motorcraft. I have only cut 1 filter open (a motorcraft fl400s) and it looked fine, but because of all the issues im using fram tough guard now. everybody can talk about fiber endcaps all they want but I aint seen any media failures on fram filters, yea some are wavy but none are tore. for me personally it seems fram knows a little more than we did about these endcaps. not trying to bash puros or any other brand but like I said in this case perception seems to be reality.

Actually I've never had an issue with a P1 and I've used many and also posted thier dissections here. So my perception until personally proven otherwise, P1's and Puro made for's like Motorcraft are just fine. As mentioned by dnewton a rough patch for some anecdotes posted here recently, doesn't put me in the chicken little camp.

Also I've noticed a trend imo to infer that engine 'noise' anecdotes are or can be some type of valid measure of filter construction or construction issues. If one looks closer at these noise anecdotes, it seems many different brand filters, including some high end filters like Ultra cause issues for these engines by the same posters. So other than a possible occasional nitrile adbv issue I pretty much ignore engine 'noise' anecdotes as a filter issue, and relate it most to a sensitive or problematic engine issue.

As an aside, while I'm currently running an Ultra with M1EP to 10k mi. min. oci, I've noticed something about some recent post use Fram dissections of the fiber end cap variety posted here. One of the biggest things occasionally seen and noted with post use dissection is the end of center tube are exposed/uncovered when viewed from either the base end or moreso the dome end with the adbv or bypass removed. Now that may or may not be an issue, but lately those views have not been shown. Yet, when an occasional metal end cap is detached on dissection, the inference is that it is an issue. Can't see how that would be any more of an issue than an exposed center tube end of the fiber variety upon dissection. And in fact, far more area to cover for oil bypass in the former than the latter.

As for the OP's filter, where possible pre purchase inspection is always best practice. If possible just return and exchange for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back