Motorcraft FL1-A gasket

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using the Motorcraft FL1-A oil filter with my Auto-rx cleaning and removed it to start the rinse cycle. I noticed that the filter gasket came off relatively easy. This never happened with my Amsoil SDF oil filter, that was nice and tight and so is the Mobil One M-301. The gasket on the FL1-A looks like it's crimped on and can be easyily removed. I went to Autozone today to look at a new one and the same thing happened(I thought maybe mine came lose after an oil change). Is this ok? Should I have anything to worry about using the FL1-A?

Thanks.

Ooy, I'm suprised with the Motorcraft oil filter that the gasket came off easily. That happened to me all the time with the Fram filters I use to buy before I saw the light
worshippy.gif
. Might be a bad batch if you got them from the same location. If you don't feel comfortable with the Motorcraft try a Wix, Napa Gold, Baldwin or even a Super Tech. All those seem ok and are around the price of the Motorcraft, at least within a few dollars.

Whimsey

I've used dozens of the FL-1A's over the years and have never had one leave the seal on the mounting surface. I've never tried to remove the seal from the filter though so I can't say if what you found is normal or not....

Certainly it would be better if the gasket on a filter was well-secured in place, and couldn't be easily lifted off using one's fingers. But as long as the gasket is sitting in a well, groove, or other indentation which keeps the gasket from squirming and deforming from a perfect circle when tightened to the block, you should be fine. Make sure to oil the gasket before installation -- this would be especially important since an unlubed gasket could be "gripped" and pulled away from it's perfect-circle well/groove.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back