Motorcraft 820S--Gasket falls off old filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tonight while changing the oil with it's winter fill of Mobil clean 5000 5w20 in our Crown Vic,the Motorcraft 820S gasket fell off in my hand as I removed it
21.gif

My question is,all the years of me changing oil,this is the only filter I've had the gasket fall off the filter,anyone have this happen before?

Common with filters that don't capture the gasket very well in it
s groove. Sometimes the gasket might stick to the filter mounting seat on the engine, and if someone doesn't notice that, and puts the new filter on it becomes a "double gasket" indecent, which can cause oil leakage at the filter base.

I wish all manufactures used o-ring gaskets like Honda and Toyota does, but the square cut gaskets work and are cheaper to make. I saw a whole case of Purolator filters a few years back and every filter had the gasket lying loose in the box.

I've had the gasket stick to the engine when changing a fuel filter on a marine diesel--it took me quite a few rounds of bleeding and priming before I figured out that maybe there was something wrong with the new filter I put on. Two gaskets do not seal well! The gasket is more likely to stick to the engine if it hasn't been well lubed before putting the filter on.

Originally Posted By: Onmo'Eegusee
It happens. I always check the block surface for one.
+1 Never hurts to clean around the seal area on the engine before installing the new filter. Sort of like killing two birds with one stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back