Motorcraft FL-500S after 6K miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
This Motorcraft FL-500S oil filter served for about 6,000 miles on my 2016 Ford Explorer Platinum equipped with the turbocharged 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine. I dumped the factory fill at 1,770 miles and installed this filter along with six quarts of Mobil 1 Extended Performance 5w-30 synthetic motor oil. When the SUV hit 7,760 miles, I changed the oil and filter again, once more using Mobil 1 EP oil and a new Motorcraft filter.

When I installed this filter, I decided to affix a small donut-shaped rare-earth magnet to the filter can. You can see the magnet on top with the filter positioned on my filter cutter. After cutting, it's obvious that the magnet attracted and held a small amount of ferrous metal -- most likely because this engine was still in its break-in phase while this filter was in service.

The only other interesting thing I noticed during the oil-filter autopsy was a small piece of what appears to be black paint trapped between the media pleats. This paint chip was probably dislodged from somewhere within the engine, and the filter did what it was supposed to do.

1.%20Cutting%20FL500S_zpskvbm39eu.jpg

2.%20Sludge_zps0jstt0lo.jpg

4.Drainback%20Valve_zpsnzdfh6ke.jpg

5.Filter%20Media_zpsfiihdz00.jpg

6.Paint%20Chip_zps6o2h0jqf.jpg

4.%20Components_zpsz8qftb7z.jpg

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
what is that pencil pointing at?

The pencil is pointing at a small black paint chip that I found jammed between the pleats.

oh ok.... It does look like it held up well.. How are the mounting threads?? Some of the 820-s have very little mounting threads.

If the bypass is made of ferrous metal and is installed near the magnet, the magnet could interfere on its functioning. I would put the magnet at the external filter side wall.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Ohle_Manezzini
If the bypass is made of ferrous metal and is installed near the magnet, the magnet could interfere on its functioning. I would put the magnet at the external filter side wall.

The FL500S has the bypass valve on the base end ... so the magnetic in this case was as far away as possible.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
oh ok.... It does look like it held up well.. How are the mounting threads?? Some of the 820-s have very little mounting threads.

Plenty of threads on this FL-500s filter. I couldn't find any faults, so I'll continue to use them with confidence.

Looks real good. No worries about mounting threads on any of the MCs, plenty on all of them. Mention of otherwise, nothing more than internet prattle.

Thanks for pics.

Originally Posted By: Sayjac
Looks real good. No worries about mounting threads on any of the MCs, plenty on all of them. Mention of otherwise, nothing more than internet prattle.

Thanks for pics.
+

+1 for "internet prattle". I've used MC filters for years and never had one of their filters loosen from the point where I installed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back