Motorcraft FL-400S

Status
Not open for further replies.
A few years ago the established doctrine on this board was that:

The motorcraft filter was made by purolator, the motorcraft filters made for the assembly line on new vehicles is a different company. It was also believed that the media was different from purone and the regular purolator line. I don't remember what the source was, but they stated that the filter media for motorcraft was different it was supposed to be better then what purolator was but less then the pureone.

I don't know how far back you can search, but this was beat to death relentlessly years ago.

Originally Posted By: MC5W20

The motorcraft filter was made by purolator, the motorcraft filters made for the assembly line on new vehicles is a different company. It was also believed that the media was different from purone and the regular purolator line. I don't remember what the source was, but they stated that the filter media for motorcraft was different it was supposed to be better then what purolator was but less then the pureone.

I don't know how far back you can search, but this was beat to death relentlessly years ago.

Hard to believe if the Ford claims their Motorcraft filters are 80% efficient at 20 microns, and the Purolator Classic is 97.5% @ 20 microns. They media is what determines the efficiency rating.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

Hard to believe if the Ford claims their Motorcraft filters are 80% efficient at 20 microns, and the Purolator Classic is 97.5% @ 20 microns. They media is what determines the efficiency rating.

I will be the first to tell you that I honestly don't know. It was a few years ago, and things do change. I do believe several members here were send e-mails to purolator and calling there tech line. A lot of info came out of that, also there was a few people who worked in the oil filter manufacturing sector that were adding to the conversation also. Its really a moot point though any oil filter will do a fine job. Even the dreaded fram will not cause you motor to explode in a disappointing under 100k bomb.

Its really a moot point though any oil filter will do a fine job. Even the dreaded fram will not cause you motor to explode in a disappointing under 100k bomb.

I don't think I want to find out first hand like some have ... therefore, will only use middle to top tier oil filters.
thumbsup2.gif

My taurus calls for the Motorcraft FL400 filter which is now the shorter one and i use the Purolator PL20195 which is the longer filter in its place.

If the PL20195 fits your engine and the space you have in there its one of the top choices for your ride IMO. Its a good filter with plenty of capacity and the cartridges have been known to hold together well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back