Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance Improver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2005 F-350 with the legendary 6.0 Diesel. At every fill up I add a full 20oz bottle of this Motorcraft Cetane Booster and Performance improver to a tank of fuel. Here is a link to it http://www.fordparts.com/Products/Chemicals-Brake-EnginePerformanceFluids-Cleaners.aspx

Now my concern is that motorcraft says to put 4oz to every 30 gallons and I add the whole bottle when filling a tank that is around a 1/4 of a tank or less empty so there is around 25 gallons of fresh fuel and a whole 20oz bottle of additive. I don't think what I am doing is causing any harm is it? I mean we are talking 20oz to 25 gallons. According to the MSDS from Motorcraft the bottle contains:

60%-100% of Hydrotreated Light Distillate (petroleum)

0.1%-1% of Naphthalene

and 0.1%-1% of 1,2,4-Trimethylbenzene

The MSDS can be found at http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricants.com/main/msds/us178699us.pdf

So am I doing any harm to my engine, fuel injectors, or the o-rings in the fuel system by adding a full bottle to every fill up?

To help keep the injectors clean and last as long as possible. I have a real hard time believing that 4 ounces of this stuff makes a very big difference to 30 gallons of diesel. Maybe it helps but I would think the change is very small when adding 4oz to 30 gallons. So 20oz should be better right? At $8 dollars a 20oz bottle and the fact that the truck gets driven very little it is not costing much extra. So I figure the extra $8 is worth it if it is helping my injectors. But could I be doing more damage then good?

Frankly I would stick with the recommended dosage. Unlikely the mfg provides a dosage that does "little or nothing" as they are in the business of selling product. IIRC the dosage for FP+ (lubecontrol.com) is 1oz / 10 gallons, so 4oz/30 gallons is in line with another company's product recommendation.

Do you take the more is better approach to over the counter medicines or prescription drugs?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back