Motorcraft brake pads

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2010 ford transit connect. Motorcraft has 3 different pad part numbers listed for this vehicle.

br970c - oriellys has this listed as organic but on rockauto, every other part number that ends with "c" is ceramic.

brf1378 - just says oe design

brf1378a - oe design / oe formula

Im running the br970c right now, they stop pretty well but not sure if they will last and not sure if they will groove the rotors at all. Depending on how they last and how the rotors hold up, I would consider buying the 970c's again, one of the other motorcraft pads or....the akebono pro act pads.

does anyone know the differences in these pads? I prefer a pad that has better initial bite. My van is loaded down and i drive a lot everyday. Good initial bite makes for easier driving.

Ive heard the pro acts were good but not sure if the initial bite is what i want.

Any input is appreciated.

The BRF numbers are the ORM pad while the BR is a value line replacement.

Ford does not disclose to dealers what the composition is. FRIW anything E/F250 and up at my work gets the OEM pads because of continual comebacks for noise with the Motorcraft pads.

The numbering used to be a lot easier back in the day when the OEM pads did not have a short number and were a blue label while the Motorcraft pads had a red label.

i do know that they were getting a lot of complains for premature pad wear. so they came out with a different pad.

do you think both 1378 and 1378a are the same pads with the 970c being the revised or is the 1378a the revised?

the 1378 (2T1Z-2001-C) is replaced by the 1378a (AT1Z-2001-A). We use the long number to bill out the OE pads, so the short numbers are foreign to me since I have trained myself to not look at them. Usually the short number is related to the FMSI shape for that pad. The "a" on the end of the short number just means a supercession.

The long number tells you more information. The 2001 is a Ford basic number for front brake pads. The 2T1Z prefix indicated the part was first used for a 2002 Transit Connect application, the AT1Z is for a 2010 Transit Connect. The 2 being the 10th digit of a VIN for a 2002MY vehicle, and A for 2010MY vehicle. The "T1" is a code for a Transit Connect, and Z indicated a Ford service part.

frustrating, it would be great to know composition, performance and wear characteristics.

I know the originals (brf1378 i think) had a really nice, smooth stop but wore out at 30K which is not too bad. some people were going through them in 15k, thats why they came out with a revised part number.

I believe i had the 1378a pads after that, they grooved the rotors up pretty bad but i had rear brake issues and it was putting too much on the front brakes, that could have been the issue. Didn't get a good stop either but that was probably because of the rears.

Got the 970c's on now, and got my rear brake issues solved, they are working pretty well so far. With my other brake issues, not sure if the other part numbers got a fair shake.

I also have a 2007 honda fit that had the factory brakes installed which i believe are akebono ceramic. They lasted forever and a day and stopped awesome. Not only that, the rotors were very smooth when the pads were replaced. I probably could have put new pads on the old rotors like they were but i found some brembo rotors on closeout for cheap.

the akebonos worked so well on the honda, i was considering giving them a run on the transit but of course, they are pricey.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: michaelluscher
Good to know.
So its Service line vs Factory parts?

Ya, the short numbers always throw me for a loop with the factory ones because we don't use that when looking them up or billing. Only use short numbers to bill out spark plugs, oil/air filters, wiper blades, and Motorcraft pads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back