Motorcraft and seal under the cap

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone using the Motorcraft seen that the 5w-30 uses a foil type seal under the cap on the bottle where-as the 10w-30 does not ?

How about you 5w-20 Motorcraft users , does it have a seal under the bottle cap ?

Any ideas why the 5w-30 is sealed ? I think I know but it's only a guess . Waiting to see if the 5w-20 is sealed .

I hate those seals. Always afraid a piece of the seal (which seems to only come off in pieces) will end up in the bottle and then in my engine.

Also, makes it hard to sniff the oil in the store.
freak2.gif

[ March 11, 2004, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: TallPaul ]

Both Motorcraft 5w20 and Conoco Hydroclear 5w20 bottles come with the seal. If I remember right, the bottle does not have a cap that breaks when you open it - thus the use of the foil.

Two of my last four 10-30's that I bought had the seal and the others had the break-away cap. Seems to rip in one piece though. Maybe the foil indicates newer stock and Moly!?
tongue.gif

[ March 11, 2004, 06:29 AM: Message edited by: Chris ]

quote:

Originally posted by Chris:
Two of my last four 10-30's that I bought had the seal and the others had the break-away cap. Seems to rip in one piece though. Maybe the foil indicates newer stock and Moly!?
tongue.gif

We will find out soon . I sent in a new stock 5w-30 sample last week . I wish I had sent a sample of the 5w-20 as well but I don't use it so ... I didn't.
smile.gif

Two used oil analysis's in Ford engines that do not use a coated piston indicate moly is now used in the Motorcraft 5w-20 but it's too soon to tell .

I bought 6 quarts of MC 5W-20 3 weeks ago at Wallyworld. Two of the quarts had no seals and break-away ring caps, the other 4 had the foil. Caps were the same color and the rest of the bottle was identical.

If they continue putting these foil seals on them, going to have obtain an funnel with a filter.

Through 6 oil changes (36 quarts) so far with Motorcraft 5w20, all have had the breakaway rings. No foil caps. I have been buying by the case at AutoZone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back