Motorcraft 5W30 vs 10W30. Any differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Zako2
@donnyj08
@RF Overlord
@TFB1
@Falcon_LS

Thank you for your replies. Highly appreciated. Regards

Am i wrong in sugguesting Rotella 10W30, or 5W40...mostly due to the high tempratures?

Another sugguestion as you are in the middle east, you can run 15W40 or 10W40 no problem, as the ambient temprature would not really be an issue with the cold weight

Originally Posted By: Falcon_LS
Both are pretty good products, especially considering the price. However, I would strongly suggest using a 5W-30 meeting ACEA A3/B4 or ACEA A5/B5 specifications instead of ILSAC GF-5. This might be a bit difficult to find outside your local BMW dealer, in which case your best alternative would be a 5W-40.

Stay far away from any lubricant sourced from the UAE and Saudi Arabia. Check with your local Chrysler dealer to see if they have Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40.

The biggest issue with Bahrain is the fact that you guys have the highest sulfur content in the GCC when it comes to gas at 1,500 ppm. Saudi Arabia comes close second at 1,000 ppm.

My advice to you would be:

- Fuchs Titan SuperSyn LongLife 5W-30
- Fuchs Titan SuperSyn LongLife 5W-40

- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special F 5W-30
- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special LL 5W-30
- Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40
- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf HC7 5W-40
- Liqui Moly Super Leichtlauf 10W-40

- Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

- Motorcraft 15W-40 Super Duty

- Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40

- Q8 Formula Advanced 10W-40
- Q8 Formula Excel 5W-40

at 8,000 km intervals to make up for the price. However, I strongly suggest you try and get a used oil analysis to see how your oil is coping with the high sulfur gas.

Also important, replace your air filter at every oil change if you're going with 8,000 km drain intervals and clean your MAF sensor with starting fluid (the closest thing you can get to MAF cleaner in this part of the world, save for chlorinated brake cleaner).

Falcon_LS, thank you for the write up.

I noticed that you mentioned "your local BMW dealer", is your advice based on a BMW car? Anyhow, I own a Nissan Maxima and Infiniti EX35, both running 3.5 ltr engine.

However, there is an interesting statement you mentioned regarding the sulfur content, since I am working in a petroleum company I was very close to the laboratory to ask them for the actual sulfur content in the car fuel we use in Bahrain. First of all the figure you mentioned "1,500 ppm" is absolutely correct which is internationally allowed as a maximum.

Here is the actual sulfur content for the two types of fuels used in Bahrain:

Type Mumtaz, Octane 95
Sulfur Content: 130 ~ 150 ppm

Type Jayyed, Octane 90
Sulfur Content: 400 ~ 500 ppm

I think based on the given actual figures of the sulfur content it far lower than the maximum allowed which is better for our engines.

About the oil analysis, unfortunately we don't have labs in Bahrain specialized in this field, there is in UAE, but too far for me to take the sample there.

However, I am doing a 5,000 KM interval as this is recommended by our Nissan Auto Service in order to keep the warranty. After the warranty period is over, I think I will go for 10,000 KM with a fully synthetic oil.

Thank you again for your useful advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back