Motorcraft 5W30 vs 10W30. Any differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

From the two datasheets given below are there any differences between the two oils? For example, I am currently using 5W30 and incase it's not availabel in the market, can I safely use the 10W30?

MOTORCRAFT® 5W-30 PREMIUM SYNTHETIC BLEND MOTOR OIL

SAE Grade 5W-30
API Service GF-5/SN
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) 0.860
Density, lb/gal 7.17
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F) 206 (402)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 100°C
cSt @ 40°C 65
cP @ -30°C 6,300
Viscosity Index 163
Pour Point, °C (°F)

MOTORCRAFT® 10W-30 SYNTHETIC BLEND MOTOR OIL

SAE Grade 10W-30
API Service GF-5/SN
Specific Gravity @ 60°F (15.6°C) 0.871
Density, lb/gal 7.25
Flash Point, COC, °C (°F) 224 (435)
Viscosity:
cSt @ 100°C
cSt @ 40°C 69
cP @ -30°C 5,900
Viscosity Index 157
Pour Point, °C (°F)
I appreciate your inputs. Regards,

5w-30 gives you better low temperature pumpability.

There's no reason to use 10w-30 really beyond warranty or not having 5w-30 avaliable, but you can use it if low temps are a non issue.

Last edited:
Click on bob is the oil guy at the top of this page and then when you get to the home page, click on Oil University and read the data, it is an eye opener to all us oil users. Oil in your engine runs at 10 weight, mind blowing data............
coffee2.gif

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
5w-30 gives you better low temperature pumpability.

There's no reason to use 10w-30 really beyond warranty or not having 5w-30 avaliable, but you can use it if low temps are a non issue.

Where I live low temp is not an issue at all. But it's summer when the temp reaches to 47C ~ 117F.

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
Click on bob is the oil guy at the top of this page and then when you get to the home page, click on Oil University and read the data, it is an eye opener to all us oil users. Oil in your engine runs at 10 weight, mind blowing data............
coffee2.gif

Thank you for the guide
smile.gif

At 40C, which is hot summer temperature, there is not much difference. At lower temperatures or freezing, there will be a more notable difference. 10W30 will be thicker and will take longer time to reach the top of your engine. If you live some place with warm winters, there is not much difference I guess, except that 5W-30 should still be slightly more preferable. On the other hand, some people say 10W30 will withstand wear and tear slightly better because it needs less viscosity improvers than 5W-30.

Last edited:
Wow I think that's the highest VI for a 10w30 I've ever seen, at least in an oil priced for mere mortals. Is that right?

based on the two specs you listed, use either one and you or the car will never know the difference.

Thank you for your feedback.

For 5000 KM OCI, is it safe to use MOTORCRAFT 5W-30 PREMIUM SYNTHETIC BLEND MOTOR OIL? My concern is about the oil brand and oil type. Regards,

Originally Posted By: MAKamal

For 5000 KM OCI, is it safe to use MOTORCRAFT 5W-30 PREMIUM SYNTHETIC BLEND MOTOR OIL? My concern is about the oil brand and oil type. Regards,

The used analysis reports from the past suggest that, yes MC is a very safe oil for 5,000 OCI in most situations. Of course, a lot of conventional oils can do 5,000-6,000 mile OCI, but then most will be on their last legs. MC can be pushed a bit more. Good oil for 6 month/5-7000 mile OCI IMO.

Originally Posted By: Zako2
Originally Posted By: MAKamal

The used analysis reports from the past suggest that, yes MC is a very safe oil for 5,000 OCI in most situations. Of course, a lot of conventional oils can do 5,000-6,000 mile OCI, but then most will be on their last legs. MC can be pushed a bit more. Good oil for 6 month/5-7000 mile OCI IMO.

Zako2,
Thank you for your input, I feel comfortable now
smile.gif

BTY, the distance I mentioned was in KM and not in Mile, do you mean that it can go safely to 8000 KM (5000 Mile)?

Hello,
Could someone please clarify my question?

My last oil change was on 25 Oct 2011 for the 5,000KM, I put MC 5W-30 for another 5,000KM, but until now I didn't reach 10,000KM on the odometer and today is 28 Aug 2012. To reach to 10,000KM for the next oil change I think I need two more weeks.

My question is, is it safe to keep the oil in the car for that long? 10 months? Does the oil have an expiry date?

I will be waiting for your reply. Thanks.

Quote:

My question is, is it safe to keep the oil in the car for that long? 10 months? Does the oil have an expiry date?

10 months is not a big deal. And a few weeks, add or subtract, will not change things a lot IMO. I would change oil once a year if the car isn't driven much.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Zako2
10 months is not a big deal. And a few weeks, add or subtract, will not change things a lot IMO. I would change oil once a year if the car isn't driven much.
^^^This^^^

Originally Posted By: CourierDriver
coffee2.gif

Not so, 10 weight and 10 viscosity(cSt) are two different specs...

10 weigh oil at 100*c has a cSt of 4...

Both are pretty good products, especially considering the price. However, I would strongly suggest using a 5W-30 meeting ACEA A3/B4 or ACEA A5/B5 specifications instead of ILSAC GF-5. This might be a bit difficult to find outside your local BMW dealer, in which case your best alternative would be a 5W-40.

Stay far away from any lubricant sourced from the UAE and Saudi Arabia. Check with your local Chrysler dealer to see if they have Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40.

The biggest issue with Bahrain is the fact that you guys have the highest sulfur content in the GCC when it comes to gas at 1,500 ppm. Saudi Arabia comes close second at 1,000 ppm.

My advice to you would be:

- Fuchs Titan SuperSyn LongLife 5W-30
- Fuchs Titan SuperSyn LongLife 5W-40

- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special F 5W-30
- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf Special LL 5W-30
- Liqui Moly Synthoil High Tech 5W-40
- Liqui Moly Leichtlauf HC7 5W-40
- Liqui Moly Super Leichtlauf 10W-40

- Mobil Delvac 1 5W-40

- Motorcraft 15W-40 Super Duty

- Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40

- Q8 Formula Advanced 10W-40
- Q8 Formula Excel 5W-40

at 8,000 km intervals to make up for the price. However, I strongly suggest you try and get a used oil analysis to see how your oil is coping with the high sulfur gas.

Also important, replace your air filter at every oil change if you're going with 8,000 km drain intervals and clean your MAF sensor with starting fluid (the closest thing you can get to MAF cleaner in this part of the world, save for chlorinated brake cleaner).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back