Motorcraft 5w30 97 F-150 5.4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not post much on here but here is my last UOA on my F-150. Previously done at 85,000 miles. Truck has 110,000 miles. 3210 miles on sample taken Feb. 1 2004 at 109,000 miles. 65% highway miles. 97 Ford F-150 piston slapping 5.4 using Motorcraft 5w30 and Supertech ST-2 filter. Done by Parman Analytical in Cleveland,Oh. Anyone else used them?? I get it done through my work at a Nashville,TN area trucking company.

Iron................3
Chromium............0
Lead................0
Copper..............1
Tin.................0
Aluminum............1
Nickel..............0
Silver..............0
Silicon.............3
Boron...............0
Sodium..............2
Magnesium...........9
Calcium..........2182
Barium..............5
Phosphorus........940
Zinc.............1058
Molybdenum..........8
Titanium............0
Vanadium............0
Potassium...........0
Fuel..............< 1%
VIS @ 40 C........N/A
VIS @ 100 C......9.31
Water %Vol..........0
Soot/Solids %Wt...0.1
Glycol............NEG
TBN..............5.37

I do not do these often so if anyone know anything about this lab let me know. Also your feedback on the results.

Thanks..........Seldon T

Absolutely excellent results! Based on the fact that this oil ended up at the very bottom end of the 30wt range though, I think you could go with a 5w20 or 0w20 oil and get similar results. Ford isn't as dumb as many of us thought they were when they began recommending these thinner oils.

GREAT report! If your engine is slapping, it sure isn't wearing itself out at all. The oil is thinning a bit, but it looks like you have a winning combination here!
cheers.gif

Great wearing motor! Glad to see your impressive results as my oil of choice is Motorcraft 10-30. 4000 miles should be no problem as it is currently used, maybe to 5k with analysis.
wink.gif

I see alot of these low cost oils having only 6-700 ppm of zinc these days . This oil at almost 1100 ppm of it even though zinc alone does not make an oil is a heck of a deal for what you get for 1.33 per quart .

If I used dino's , this would be the one for me or possibly this Mystic Cool Dino . I've actually been thinking about switching back lately .....hhmmmmm
smile.gif

[ February 19, 2004, 09:58 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

Based on the Raw numbers, this looks excellent. I always get a little leery of numbers from a lab I haven't seen before, but in any event, it looks good.

Only concern would eb the oil shearing to nearly a 20w in a short interval. Not an issue interms of viscosity for these motors, but perhaps a sign of the VII's/base oil shearing and leaving some extra "junk" in the oil.

This oil could easily go another 2000 miles if the shearing doesn;t bother you...

So much for the slappers causing excess engine wear... Funny how we have a couple of slapper 5.4's over 200k at work without any problems...

It turns out that Ford was not full of it after all when they said that the cold piston slap is normal, and that it will not cause any problems!
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back