Motorcraft 5W20 5 qt jugs

Status
Not open for further replies.
The label on the back says "tested in desert heat and sub zero temps". Is this just a bunch of marketing words or does this stuff really hold up?

Stick some in an oven, then in a freezer. Presto! Tested.
banana2.gif

John

A lot of guys at the Ford truck forum from Arizona, Texas, etc.., have used it in their F150/250's with no complaints. We don't get too many triple digit days here in PA, but we sure get a lot of zero and below, and we've used MC5-20 for hundreds of thousands of miles with no problems.
thumbsup2.gif

Originally Posted By: breeves
The label on the back says "tested in desert heat and sub zero temps". Is this just a bunch of marketing words or does this stuff really hold up?

According to Miami Lincoln Mercury this is all true and showed me paperwork that to that effect..

The bottom line here it does hold up..My cars would have died long ago if it didn't..I have been stuck in major traffic jams heading to and from Key West [there is only one road in and out] for hours on end with the a/c on and it did its job for over 5K torture miles.

they actually do. have you ever seen the trucks with all the weird coverings on them? ive seen them blasting along i-15 at 100+ mph in 100+ degree heat to test the cooling systems. they use motorcraft fluids in the test mules.

$11.50 at my local WM for 5W20, 5W and 10W30 and 15W40 jugs. Short of buying bulk, it's the best deal for any blend IMO.

They actually did test it for a several million miles through the Mojave desert, pulling loaded trailers at constant 80 mph 135 degrees heat in the shade, then repeated it in the Canadian North West Territories in the middle of winter, down to -60 Degrees, without the wind chill factor. Engines all lasted 500,000 miles plus+++, and at the end of it, were all running perfectly.
That's how Ford tests their products, and determines that 5w20 is the way to go.
This is good oil.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
They actually did test it for a several million miles through the Mojave desert, pulling loaded trailers at constant 80 mph 135 degrees heat in the shade, then repeated it in the Canadian North West Territories in the middle of winter, down to -60 Degrees, without the wind chill factor. Engines all lasted 500,000 miles plus+++, and at the end of it, were all running perfectly.
That's how Ford tests their products, and determines that 5w20 is the way to go.
This is good oil.
Nice to know.

Would be nice if Motorcraft 5W-20, 5W-30 and 5W-50 was available here. Only one available is 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: Captain_Klink
This is good oil.

That's very good information. Kendall GT-1 Full Synthetic is also made by Conoco Phillips, same as Motorcraft. Essentially it must be the full synthetic Motorcraft that Ford uses. I think I'm going to grab some after reading this.

One thing I will say about Ford, all their OEM stuff is of very high quality. The Motorcraft filter, oil, plugs and ignition wires are top notch.

Originally Posted By: John_K
Stick some in an oven, then in a freezer. Presto! Tested.
banana2.gif

John

Viola~!

crackmeup2.gif

It's a fine oil ..and yes, I'm sure that they tested it in every environment that any vehicle that it was spec'd for might encounter.

I'm still wary of 5w20. I have an Mazda RX8 and only in this country do they say to use 5w-20. All other countries where they sell the RX-8 they say to use 5w-30. Sounds to me like a bunch of EPA B.S. Many rotary engine rebuilders and race car team mechanics who have taken roatry engines apart by the 1000's all say the same thing, 5w-20 is simply too thin and does not have the film strength to protect critical parts. They all say use nothing less than a 5w-40 or at the very least 5w-30.

I'm not wary of 5W-20 in the least (been running it for years), but I also don't believe it is necessarily the "best" oil for all climates, conditions and driving styles.

The switch to 5W-20 was definitely CAFE driven, Ford admits that readily. Still, it met Ford's durability standards which are some of the toughest in the auto business, so even if it's not the "best" in all scenarios it's still pretty darn good.

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
I'm still wary of 5w20. I have an Mazda RX8 and only in this country do they say to use 5w-20. All other countries where they sell the RX-8 they say to use 5w-30. Sounds to me like a bunch of EPA B.S. Many rotary engine rebuilders and race car team mechanics who have taken roatry engines apart by the 1000's all say the same thing, 5w-20 is simply too thin and does not have the film strength to protect critical parts. They all say use nothing less than a 5w-40 or at the very least 5w-30.

In a rotary app, I'd go by experience tempered with warranty considerations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back