Motor using oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dookie,you could "make' the engine use a quart in 900 miles
wink.gif

Would that car be a grose polluter in California burning that much oil? Thought of contacting the correct EPA personnel?

Now what about the fouling of the catalyst system? Seems a entire new converter and muffler/02 sensors is is order as well,,imo opinion you have not pushed enough buttons" me being a Toytota Service Manager in the past"along with the fact they have a known problem and have warrantied other engines with the same problems.

Then troubles would be over. They cannot take your car and drive it 1k to confirm,even if given a loaner

Also,that quart per 900 miles was the limit for a 318 Chrysler motor to be warrantied in 1977,I think times have changed since then,you have a polluter!

[ September 12, 2002, 12:10 AM: Message edited by: dragboat ]

I don't think Dookie has an oil problem. He has a warrantee problem. Quite a few of the Acura RSX Type-S engines have oil consumption problems. Some consume more than a quart every 1,000 miles. Most others don't have consumption problems. Those customers that have had new engines installed under warrantee are finding that the top ring was installed upside down or that the cylinders did not meet the roundness spec. So this is a quality control problem.

Acura has set the limit for warrantee work at 1 qt/1000 miles consumption. If it were my car, Dookie, I would insist that they fix the problem even though your consumption is not at their limit. Make noise. Be a nuisance. Good luck.

My engine is a K20A series motor by Honda. 11:1 compression with a 7,900 RPM redline. I have tried to contact America Honda for a possible warranty claim and they won't do a SINGLE thing because it's not burning more than 1 quart in a 1,000 miles. I just received a customer satisfaction survey in the mail and I am going to happy to fill this one out. This is really pissing me off. I can't believe Honda put out this product. Regardless if the top ring was installed upside down, I can't believe Honda would ingore the fact that the first few thousand motors could be like this. (Also, anyone have proof of the rings installed upside down other than word of mouth?) Instead they fall back on the old 1 quart every 1,000 miles trick.

Anyway, BOBISTHEOILGUY is saying that I shouldn't use synthetic. Some others are? Whats the deal? If I use synthetic, how long could I go between changes?

Oops, I forgot to mention. The manual says 5W-30 is recommended, but 10W-30 is acceptable at temperatures above 32 degrees or zero degrees...(I can't remember which one.)

Well as far as asking about the warranty claim...

I went to the local Acura dealership and here's what they told me. Since the car isn't using more than 1 quart in 1,000 miles, it is perfectly within Honda's limits and there isn't anything they could do for me. They wouldn't even to a compression test! I then called American Honda Customer Service and they told me the same exact thing! I asked if I could speak to someone higher and they wouldn't let me. I feel like I'm stuck with what I have. I am thinking about talking a sample of my oil and getting it tested. Anyone know of a place on the internet to test oil samples?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back