Motor oil shelf life

I know back in the mid 2000's, Shell stated a 10 year shelf life. I think the consensus and migration to stating a 5 year shelf life is just them drawing a line to limit liability due to evolving specification changes and defending against litigation for improper end user application.

I know back in the mid 2000's, Shell stated a 10 year shelf life. I think the consensus and migration to stating a 5 year shelf life is just them drawing a line to limit liability due to evolving specification changes and defending against litigation for improper end user application.
The oil in the Corolla is 6 year old Valvoline from my stash. Its been in there since June. Everything seems totally copasetic. Just under 3300 miles on it so far. I'd use 10 year old oil without batting an eye.

You will think I’m nuts but I ran some SAE20-w20 pops had from 1970 Pennzoil with “Z-7 additive” in my 97’ Bonneville I had. Mixed it 50/50 with some 5w30 SL rated PYB. Never a issue
We have some oil from 2007 that I give to neighbors or people when they ask lol 😂 no way in heck I’m putting it in my car lol.

You will think I’m nuts but I ran some SAE20-w20 pops had from 1970 Pennzoil with “Z-7 additive” in my 97’ Bonneville I had. Mixed it 50/50 with some 5w30 SL rated PYB. Never a issue
We have some oil from 2007 that I give to neighbors or people when they ask lol 😂 no way in heck I’m putting it in my car lol.

I’d pay shipping if you would send it to me👍

I’m not going to mention the brand of oil, but a few months ago I had several quarts of oil that started to leak on me. This was all the same brand, was fresh stock when purchased, was stored in my heated basement, and was purchased less than two years ago.
So maybe it’s the container the manufacturer is worried about instead of what’s inside of it.
I do remember having my S.L.O.B.(remember that stuff, veterans? 🙂) containers all start to seep after awhile.

What about the goop that can form in the bottom like the Supertech above?

Like I mentioned it happened to me also with an old bottle. I didn’t shake it up, so it was the last thing to come out when I poured. I didn’t feel comfortable pouring the goop in, even though I realize it may contain good stuff (additives, etc) that may blend back in once running.

After reading this post I went out to the Shed and had some Supertech HD30 weight sitting in an unheated metal shed (see extreme temperatures) for over 12 years. Poured well and looked good. No residue in the bottom of the bottle would not be scared to use it.

I don't care what they say. I've been using oil 15-25 years old in all my cars for years without any issues. The oil I'm using in my '16 Versa is probably at least 10 years older than the car itself. It's Citgo Supergard that I bought at a Dollar General grand opening sale in the early-mid '00's at 2qts./$1. The engine either doesn't know or doesn't care that it's 15 years old and isn't the latest spec. Sometime in the mid-late '00's I found about 10 cases of Pennzoil YB that was probably bottled in the '80's at a flea market. I asked them what they'd take for it if I'd buy it all. The price they quoted me came out to about $ .65 qt. I finished using it about 2012 or so with no problems.

Last edited:
I don't care what they say. I've been using oil 15-25 years old in all my cars for years without any issues. The oil I'm using in my '16 Versa is probably at least 10 years older than the car itself. It's Citgo Supergard that I bought at a Dollar General grand opening sale in the early-mid '00's at 2qts./$1. The engine either doesn't know or doesn't care that it's 15 years old and isn't the latest spec. Sometime in the mid-late '00's I found about 10 cases of Pennzoil YB that was probably bottled in the '80's at a flea market. I asked them what they'd take for it if I'd buy it all. The price they quoted me came out to about $ .65 qt. I finished using it about 2012 or so with no problems.
We're going to have to boot you off of BITOG, that kind of practicality is not permitted around here. ;)

I’m not going to mention the brand of oil, but a few months ago I had several quarts of oil that started to leak on me. This was all the same brand, was fresh stock when purchased, was stored in my heated basement, and was purchased less than two years ago.
So maybe it’s the container the manufacturer is worried about instead of what’s inside of it.
I do remember having my S.L.O.B.(remember that stuff, veterans? 🙂) containers all start to seep after awhile.
This would be my concern too. The oil inside might be more durable than the packaging (plastic bottles, jugs, boxed). I feel that maybe I have bought too much. Currently at 145qts after approx just 2 months of accumulating. I don't even know what I am buying for. I only have 2 vehicles. How big of a stash is enough? How much do you guys have? Any tips on how to stop? Please help...
Tempted today to buy more CS at walmart for $9.99 but I really don't need any more.

I only have like 4 vehicles that I do changes on
I now have a stash of 20 gallons of 0w40 T6
20x gallons of Delo 5w40
7x gallons of T4 15w40
15x 5qt jugs of Rotella Gas Truck 5w30
8x 5qt jugs of Rotella Gas Truck 5w20
24x Quarts 0w20 Mobil1
6x 2 Gallons of Supertech SAE30 CF-2/SG
3x 5qt jugs of 20w50 GTX High Mileage
9x Quarts Mobil1 0w40
4x Quarts of Mobil1 5w30
1 lone jug of 10w40 High Mileage Quaker State
So I have over 400qts of oil... I should stop adding to the hoard, but it's not even about the oil anymore as much as it is about the fun of seeking the deal, I've probably spent less than a buck a quart overall, I could probably sell most of it and make my money back.

Yes I agree, it’s less about the oil and more about the container.
I‘ve had a few jugs, stored up right, went to use them, the oil looked good, the jug body was OK, but the jug cap broke as I opened it. Glad I didn’t store it on its side. No problems with the oil.

Only oil I've seen leaking, is Chevron Delo, I seen some 10+ year old containers at a TSC, that the bottles were kind of sucked in and leaking around the seams, I've had Delvac leak but that was because Walmart doesn't know how to package anything and the packaging was damaged in transit. I also picked up a jug of 20w50 Castrol GTX at a walmart and looked at it and put it back down and afterwards noticed there was oil on my jacked from the bottom of the jug, but that was a recent jug and probably was transit damage.

What about the goop that can form in the bottom like the Supertech above?

Like I mentioned it happened to me also with an old bottle. I didn’t shake it up, so it was the last thing to come out when I poured. I didn’t feel comfortable pouring the goop in, even though I realize it may contain good stuff (additives, etc) that may blend back in once running.
There was a few threads, maybe 3 or 4 years ago where somebody found similar white flakes in a newish bottles of Valvoline and Pennzoil (from memory). They sent it back to the company who examined it, their response was it was normal oil additives which had fallen out of solution and had become more obvious. They said it was safe to use, just pour it all in, the engine will mix it up with the heat helping it go back into solution.

I‘ll try and dig up the threads.

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, about what temperature is motor oil typically at when it's bottled?
I've noticed that old jugs seem to suck in with age, my theory is that they're bottled at a temperature warmer than room temperature and oil gets more dense as it cools so the oil shrinks a bit after it's bottled, and over time the oxygen in the head space reacts with the oil and puts the bottle under a slight vacuum.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

There ya go.... Good ol fashioned common sense...

That oil was hydrotreated or even processed to a group II standard... So it can be used. .

Only thing I would not run it for longer runs. Due to oxidation and deposit formation potential in the oil that is older.

Back