Motor Oil Prices!

Other than very small transactions (
I like to pay in cash when at restaurants. It takes forever for them to run your card and bring it back. Lots of restaurants pay people under the table too so they like it when you pay cash. When you pay cash, you just hand the bill back say thanks and leave. No need to sign, take copies, check your bill to make sure there were no errors etc. I've had the case before where they ran the card twice for the same bill.

I like to pay in cash when at restaurants. It takes forever for them to run your card and bring it back. Lots of restaurants pay people under the table too so they like it when you pay cash. When you pay cash, you just hand the bill back say thanks and leave. No need to sign, take copies, check your bill to make sure there were no errors etc. I've had the case before where they ran the card twice for the same bill.
One of my cards gets 4.5% back at restaurants. Over the course of a year, this can add up to a few hundred dollars. I’ll wait.

One of my cards gets 4.5% back at restaurants. Over the course of a year, this can add up to a few hundred dollars. I’ll wait.
A few hundred? Just how much do you spend eating out a year? That would be over 4k just to hit about $200. I only have a 2% card that I use for everything and my average bill is anywhere from $40-$80 so that only works out to 80 cents to $1.60 that I'm giving up but I get to save 10-15 minutes waiting for them to run it and come back. Service tends to be slow around here. Well worth it to give up 80 cents to $1.60. Plus they're always happy to see cash and I tip well. Different that staring at numbers on a slip that they might not even see.

If you're getting that much back, just imagine how much your favourite restaurants are paying in processing fees. Hopefully their margins are good.

If you're getting that much back, just imagine how much your favourite restaurants are paying in processing fees. Hopefully their margins are good.
It's a loss leader. Standard rate for credit cards is probably in the 2.5-3% range. Those 4.5% cards are a gimmick in that they hope that you use it for everything else and don't give you 4.5% on everything, just on restaurants so they average a lower amount. Plus some of those cards have fees so you have to use it enough to make up for the fees. Just depends how much energy you want to spend playing the game. And of course those credit cards have high interest rates and on average about 1/3 of the people don't carry a balance so even if you don't they'll make money on the other 2/3 that do.

A few hundred? Just how much do you spend eating out a year? That would be over 4k just to hit about $200. I only have a 2% card that I use for everything and my average bill is anywhere from $40-$80 so that only works out to 80 cents to $1.60 that I'm giving up but I get to save 10-15 minutes waiting for them to run it and come back. Service tends to be slow around here. Well worth it to give up 80 cents to $1.60. Plus they're always happy to see cash and I tip well. Different that staring at numbers on a slip that they might not even see.
For everything that falls under the restaurant category? Probably over $5k/yr. Remember that any food service usually counts.

Those expenses should already be baked into their prices.

I buy all my oil from Wally online and try to stay a change ahead on supplies. Really impressed on what the PUP 5w20 has done for my 2AZ-FE Scion. That weight of PUP is now out of stock. Unless I tweek my VPN to Cal., then I can order it. Price has gone from under $26 to $44, depending on weight, for a 5 qt. Single quarts of 5W20 are currently $21.55! The non-Ultra PP is still around $25 for a 5 qt.
I do the same, except I get the Mobil 1 5qt jug and the Havoline 6 qt box (for sons oil burning KIA Rio.) The Havoline is only $15-$17 and the Mobil 1 is $24, but then you get an $8 rebate. Comes quickly too.

I find it silly to worry about what 5 qts of oil costs, for something you will most likely have for a year. But will willingly pay almost $100 for a tank of gas, you can burn up in a couple of hours.,,
Exactly. It is a principle for me to buy one of the cheapest oil on the shelf but come on, oil is amongst the cheapest car supplies after brake cleaner, WD40 and little trees.

Back