Motor Oil Prices!

Something doesn’t sound right, I paid $20 for Super Tech 5W/30 Dexos 2 full syn two days ago.
I have noticed the price of oil filters have gone up.

Last edited:
I'm in the DIFM market.
Bulk prices have nearly doubled in the last 18-20 months.
In many cases it would be cheaper for me to buy at Walmart.
An old friend from Texaco lubricants told me years ago that the goal
was a $100.00/ once a year oil change. He may have been right.

An old friend from Texaco lubricants told me years ago that the goal
was a $100.00/ once a year oil change. He may have been right.

That's what I'd like to do. Dave has pretty much assured me that I can do.that (once per year) with HPL lubes.

I'm waiting for a thread entitled-"My stash allowed me to retire early and at an extravagant lifestyle". Until then.........I still calling it a hoarding disorder.
I am fine being called a hoarder with my 30.5 gallons of oil that cost me a total of $102.
Will not be concerned for quite a while what current oil prices are (although I did have to purchase some oil for my motorcycle (10 qts Mobil 1 for $37 after rebate). That purchase alone is 1/3 of the cost of my stash).

I am fine being called a hoarder with my 30.5 gallons of oil that cost me a total of $102.
Will not be concerned for quite a while what current oil prices are (although I did have to purchase some oil for my motorcycle (10 qts Mobil 1 for $37 after rebate). That purchase alone is 1/3 of the cost of my stash).
Yea-hoarding is hoarding even if it's done on the cheap. There are hoarders that have stacks and stacks of newspapers in their home-they are pretty cheap too.

• Haha
Reactions: JC1
Went to Wally World and was floored by motor oil prices. Super Tech is $27 a 5 quart jug! Holy moly! Last time I shopped for oil there, the same oil was $17 or $18! I have been using 5 gallon buckets of Delvac recently so I haven't had to shop for oil locally for a while! Guess I need to get out more!
ST.JPG

Yea-hoarding is hoarding even if it's done on the cheap. There are hoarders that have stacks and stacks of newspapers in their home-they are pretty cheap too.
Yup, but my oil is a useable item, old newspapers are not.

I just find it amusing that someone calls another a hoarder, yet someone else is here complaining about the price of that exact item going up, but I sit here as "hoarder" not caring about these price increases.

Interesting that supertech synthetic is 19.47 here. Way 17 until the spring. That works out to $15us for 5L

I paid $24 for a gallon of Mobil ep 5w-30 yesterday, it was only $2 more than ST so a no brainer. Last week I bought 6 quarts of quakerstate full synthetic for around $20 on sale at Menards. If I see a good deal I buy and shoot for at least an extra years supply, I think I have 10 gallons plus at this point. Supertech had been my go to for most things until their recent price hikes, they need to realize they still are a generic brand and should be at least 30% cheaper.

Yup, but my oil is a useable item, old newspapers are not.

I just find it amusing that someone calls another a hoarder, yet someone else is here complaining about the price of that exact item going up, but I sit here as "hoarder" not caring about these price increases.
Old newspapers are 1 step before corn cobs in the outhouse…..tp shortage and suddenly newspapers are gold!

Our Walmart prices aren’t bad for oil yet. I keep 1 change on hand and may bump to 2 at this point just to hedge a bit. Stocking up on more important things than oil as well.

I got the 6 quart paper eco 5w 20 havoline syn for 19.95 at wallyworld maybe 3 weeks ago.
I like it because my 3.6 Penastar hold 6 quarts ....20 bucks .....hard to beat for a name brand oil

I've still got three and a half jugs of Pennzoil Ultra from 2019 that I need to use up. I've given up on stockpiling oil unless its a really good price.

I think the difference between hoarding and a stash is if you have way more than you could possibly ever use. As oil is supposed to be good for at least 5 years or even longer, I'd say having more than 10 years worth is probably hoarding. There's people on here with hundreds of quarts, but if you service enough cars and will use it up in a few years, that's still not hoarding, that's just a good stash. It just makes sense to stock up when something is on sale. Hoarding is probably having a lot of something you don't need and it's not even on sale.

$50 is the new $20. I get annoyed when the ATM gives me $20 bills. They take up room in my wallet and don’t buy much…
I like to keep one or two hundred dollar bills in my wallet so it doesn't take up as much space.

1661279174588.jpg

$50 is the new $20.

I get annoyed when the ATM gives me $20 bills.

They take up room in my wallet and don’t buy much…
Other than very small transactions (<$3) at local businesses (e.g. donut shop), I have rarely found the need to carry cash at all. Paying with credit cards (and paying them off in full at the end of each cycle) allows me to reap the cashback benefits. Also, the other issue with large bills is the amount of change that you'll end up carrying.

Well … I just used the last of 23 jugs of Mobil 1 AP from that blowout and have been using VME and RGT along the way … all this premium oil was $2-$3 a quart …

Back