Motor Oil Anomalies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not only do I use 0W30 in the Enzo that calls for 10W60 but also:

I use left over automatic transmission fluid for the Toro mower. I also use 5W20 left over bottles of automotive motor oil and once used some Honda engine oil from my generator.

I use similar fluids in my generator, and my 60 gal air compressor. I use automotive oils for the pressure sprayer as well.

All call for non-detergent oils but I use these left over automotive oils anyway. In general, I change all fluids in all lubricant applications after a year. This includes brake fluids (no anomalies here) and diff and power steering fluids.

Most of these motors are many years old and still going strong. I wonder why automotive oils are not specified yet seem to work without problems?

aehaas

I used BF CLP to lube a Air nail hammer once. Had to replace every dam seal in the tool.

To a point I agree. There seem to be no problems with multi weight detergent auto oil in smaller engines. Ive used 10w30 as 2 stroke oil in an emergency too, and that engine got me home and recovered from the stutter after just a minute on the right oil afterwards. I poured frying oil in my moped trans as a kid, no probs at all!! But that's all at the low end of the requirements. ´I would like the manufacturers to supply recommendations for ideal maintenance. Like cars that runs 1000s of hours the specs are fairly well defined... why not gensets or mowers too?
Is this a very old habit of the manufacturers or is it that they just don't care to change? I have problems even finding some of the old stuff required...

About your ferrari, how hard do you drive it? Just fast or "european" hard? There's a difference and at our end, you may need the 60 weight. You will on the other hand hear if you are crossing the oil's limits... just back off a little.

From what little I've read on the subject of using detergent engine oil in an air compressor, is that the metallic additives/just additives can leave hard deposits on the air valves, which I think is the hottest region of an air compressor. This can effect their function and lead to leaks.

I can't say I haven't done some of what you guys have mentioned above to get by with what was on hand at that moment, or even for the sake of experiment. I think the results of our actions would have become more evident however, the more severe such equipment was put to use in terms of service duty. Things like seal compatibility is another good point Gregory, and would also like to add potentially corrosive additive chemistries - like gear oils, other than "simple" chemistry clash/reactions. I think we've just been lucky that nothing has gone wrong, with the little amounts we have dealt with and similarities in chemistries that have at least proved non-detrimental/clashing.

I suppose finding a range that suits all would require increased communications between design/developers of machines and lubricants and, well, I would also think there would have to be a greater degree of compromise. Deposits, additive concentration requirements, emissions, viscosities, load capabilities,...there's bound to be short falls and excesses at least as I see it with current technology. Changing the language as far as lubricant requirements go, would cause confusion for the more passive individuals as far as maintenance/equipment "illiteracy" goes, and defining the problem(s) that exists which called for such change(s).

Take care.

Only thing I can say is the manufacturer of these products specify a certain lubricant for a reason.

I surely wouldn't be running a non-spec oil in a Ferrari. I could see 20W/50 or 15W50 because it calls for 10W/60 but no way 0W/30.

The Enzo never sees the race track nor constant 200 plus MPH speeds. The oil never goes above 180 F. I could probably use a 20 grade in there.

One has to be careful with gear oils. For example, Mobil One GL-5 75W90 is corrosive to yellow metals.

aehaas

Planned obsolencence (spelling)
By using a non AW/AO oil

Possible metalic ash formation

Oil sale is way to bring people back to dealer

bruce

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
I use left over automatic transmission fluid for the Toro mower.

aehaas

You've got my respect, I could just imagine calling my friends and telling them that left over oil from the Enzo went into the mower.

My push lawn mower was really low on oil last summer,so I topped it off with RP 40 wt. It burned it all up and made such a huge smokescreen,that it probably could`ve been seen blocks away,haha!

So now I use the remaining RP on my rusty outdoor padlocks.

With a smoke screen like you described aquariuscsm I'd question if you put it in the right tank!
wink.gif

Just what weight oil do you normally use in that mower anyway?

We had a small engine/tool repair shop for a few years.
I never figured out why non detergent oils were spec'd for many of them.
We never used non detergent oils, BTW.

Originally Posted By: AEHaas
One has to be careful with gear oils. For example, Mobil One GL-5 75W90 is corrosive to yellow metals.
Bull
M1 meets the MT-1 spec and shouldn't corrode yellow metals.
Still doesn't work well with synchros...

afaik, compressors run cleaner when you use compressor oil.

ATF in a mower? Are Toro's allergic to additives?

Got any UOA's on that Enzo?

I agree with Bruce. Everything is just wearing out more quickly but you don't use anything enough to notice or feel the effects.
If you actually used this stuff a lot you'd do replacing everything...

It "sounds" like you've got some money. Why do you cheap out on oils?

About 3 or 4 years ago I was considering the use of Mobil 1 gear oil for the diff in my Ferrari Maranello. I know there are yellow metals in there. I talked with a tech guy at Mobil and he said specifically not to use their gear oil as it was not friendly to yellow metals. I ended up using Red Line gear oil.

I have used up all my left over 0W30 Mobil 1 in my 10 HP B&S running my chipper/shredder. What does one do with left over oil that you no longer use in your cars?

Here is the Enzo oil thread:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...rue#Post1017431

aehaas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back