MotoMaster OEPlus European 0W40

Trying to figure out the mystery of exactly what this oil is.
I've heard speculation that it is very similar if not identical to PP Euro 0w40. Although none of the labeling or marketing of the Motomaster oil suggest anything about it being GTL. It appears that Shell manufactures oils in Alberta and Houston for the North American market. I have found an MSDS from 2016 for the PP Euro 0w40 manufactured in the Alberta plant which matches the exact physical characteristics of the Motomaster OEPlus 0w40. See links below. Not sure if the 2016 PP Euro was GTL at the time. The Motomaster MSDS does say the colour is 'Amber' which SOPUS marketing claims is characteristic of the clear GTL base.
Although the hazardous components list is not the same, Motomaster shows ZDDP on the list. I've seen several MSDS's we're similar if not identical formulations show different hazardous components for whatever reason. Also not a fan that they show the kinematic viscosity as a range (12.6 - 14.0 mm2/s @ 100°C) rather than a fixed number.
Manufacturers, however, do claim (as with Mobil 1 with their Supercar/ESP 0w40 vs Euro 0w40) that despite identical physical characteristics the oils are not interchangeable. Could just be some small difference in the additive pack, like reducing calcium for example, which allows it to meet a new specification whereas in the majority of applications the difference would be negligible.

For reference my top pick for on the shelf regularly discounted oil was the older formula German made Castrol 0w40 (LL01 and likely higher PAO), next would be the Belgian made Castro 0w40 which lost LL01 (arguably for marketing reasons and generally considered irrelevant), my final choice would be Mobil 1 Euro 0w40. However where I live (Ontario, Canada) the Castrol 0w40 is no longer stocked at Walmart or Canadian Tire, neither is the PP Euro 0w40. So now the only other option apart from Mobil is this Motomaster OEPlus 0w40. Castol and Mobil both have Porsche A40 which neither the Pennzoil Platinum Euro or Motomaster have. Ideally I'd prefer to see this spec for high shear resistance.

Haven't seen any VOAs or UOAs for this oil to confirm what's in it or how it holds up over time. I am willing to give it a try as it is regularly 50% off and I like to stock up.

Any thoughts or opinions about this oil would be appreciate it I'd love to get to the bottom of this mystery. Seems as though Shell is rather secretive with their formulations and not much good information is available out there.

Note: No mention of Fischer - Tropsch on either of the above MSDSs. Not sure the PP Euro 0w40 does either.

Last edited:
Last choice behind the Castrol's. Considering the Motomaster moving forward. I have quite a stockpile of each of these oils. One car will get only German Castrol until I run out. The other I don't mind trying something new.
Curious about the Shell product as I've seen a UOA here of PP Euro 0w40 vs Amsoil 0w40 and the PP Euro actually did a touch better. So there's a possibility the Motomaster is good stuff. As is often mentiomed here when oils are comparable people go with the cheapest, so in my case that's the Motomaster.

Last choice behind the Castrol's. Considering the Motomaster moving forward. I have quite a stockpile of each of these oils. One car will get only German Castrol until I run out. The other I don't mind trying something new.
Curious about the Shell product as I've seen a UOA here of PP Euro 0w40 vs Amsoil 0w40 and the PP Euro actually did a touch better. So there's a possibility the Motomaster is good stuff. As is often mentiomed here when oils are comparable people go with the cheapest, so in my case that's the Motomaster.
One cannot determine comparative oil quality through a $30 spectrographic analysis (UOA) and certainly not down to “a touch better”. If anything the ExxonMobil product might be considered better due to a higher PAO base stock but even then as long as they carry the same approvals thats just reading the tea leaves. What approvals does the Motormaster product have for comparison?

SNPlus - "Meets the requirements" of MB-229.3, MB 229.5,MB 226.5, VW 502.00, VW 505.00
Same as the PP Euro 0w40. The wording is obviously controversial, doesn't make the BEVO list.

Attachments

• 20220311_204309.jpg
    20220311_204309.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 62
One cannot determine comparative oil quality through a $30 spectrographic analysis (UOA) and certainly not down to “a touch better”. If anything the ExxonMobil product might be considered better due to a higher PAO base stock but even then as long as they carry the same approvals thats just reading the tea leaves. What approvals does the Motormaster product have for comparison?
Exactly!

SNPlus - "Meets the requirements" of MB-229.3, MB 229.5,MB 226.5, VW 502.00, VW 505.00
Same as the PP Euro 0w40. The wording is obviously controversial, doesn't make the BEVO list.
That's very poorly worded. Usually the meets/exceeds language is only used for things that a company can self-certify for, so, for example, API SP, ACEA A3/B4...etc.

Mobil clearly breaks down what they can self certify for, what is officially approved, and what the product is only recommended for:
Screen Shot 2022-03-25 at 6.25.48 PM.jpg

Fair points all around. So even if it turned out that the Motomaster 0w40 was identical to the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 seems like Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 still gets the vote on BITOG.

Fair points all around. So even if it turned out that the Motomaster 0w40 was identical to the Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0w40 seems like Mobil 1 Euro 0w40 still gets the vote on BITOG.
Nothing to do with Bitog. How do you know the Motomaster product is identical?

Somehow I think we’ve all had a similar discussion to this one before.

I definitely don't know its identical. Trying to find more information about it. The comparison between the 2 MSDSs I linked is the best evidence I have to suggest they are at least similar.
This has been brought up before just presenting my research and some evidence for consideration. I'd like to at least confirm if its fully GTL like the Pennzoil & Shell Helix products. Perhaps the 2016 PP Euro formula I'm comparing it to wasn't GTL at the time.
Just as a hypothetical if it were identical to the PP Euro seems like the Mobil 1 is still preferred.
It has been suggested that for a product that is only sold through Canadian Tire SOPUS may not care to pay for certifications, the meet/exceeds statement may be based on the certs the Pennzoil variant has if they are in fact the same. Also this would keep costs down, it is the cheapest 0w40 I can currently get.

I definitely don't know its identical. Trying to find more information about it. The comparison between the 2 MSDSs I linked is the best evidence I have to suggest they are at least similar.
This has been brought up before just presenting my research and some evidence for consideration. I'd like to at least confirm if its fully GTL like the Pennzoil & Shell Helix products. Perhaps the 2016 PP Euro formula I'm comparing it to wasn't GTL at the time.
Just as a hypothetical if it were identical to the PP Euro seems like the Mobil 1 is still preferred.
It has been suggested that for a product that is only sold through Canadian Tire SOPUS may not care to pay for certifications, the meet/exceeds statement may be based on the certs the Pennzoil variant has if they are in fact the same. Also this would keep costs down, it is the cheapest 0w40 I can currently get.
Usually you can get the M1 0w-40 on sale at either PartsSource or Canadian Tire if you pay attention to their sales. IIRC, the last jugs I bought of M1, it was $38. I know COVID has made these deals a little more difficult to get though.

The SDS can give a clue as to the base stock composition. The CAS number is different for GTL-derived Group III base.

Just wondering, what approval are you looking for?

Mobil goes on sale less than the other brands but yeah, it will every 6 weeks or so for about $36.

I would use either oil without a concern. The Motomaster should be about $28-30 a jug or so on sale.

The SDS can give a clue as to the base stock composition. The CAS number is different for GTL-derived Group III base.

Just wondering, what approval are you looking for?
I like to see the same approval as the Castrol or Mobil -> MB-229.3, MB 229.5, VW 502.00, VW 505.00, Porsche A40. In the past BMW LL01.

The Pour Point on the 2021 PP Euro is lower (-48°C vs -42°C) and this formula I know is GTL. So I suspect the Motomaster may not be fully GTL.

Usually you can get the M1 0w-40 on sale at either PartsSource or Canadian Tire if you pay attention to their sales. IIRC, the last jugs I bought of M1, it was $38. I know COVID has made these deals a little more difficult to get though.
Current sale at Canadian Tire in Ontario ends Thursday March 31st.
Additional $10 off per Jug (max of 3 per household). I applied for the discount can't confirm I'll get the $10 gift cards but if I do it's a win.
Just adding to my oil stockpile.

Attachments

• 20220324_181754.jpg
    20220324_181754.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 44
  • 20220324_182449.jpg
    20220324_182449.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220324_185351.jpg
    20220324_185351.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 49
  • SmartSelect_20220324-185453_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20220324-185453_Gallery.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 51
Additional $10 off per Jug (max of 3 per household). I applied for the discount can't confirm I'll get the $10 gift cards but if I do it's a win.
Perfect! There you go. As you may have noticed, I'm also in Ontario.

I'll have to get some I think, ESP is on for $36 a jug, plus $10 rebate per jug, plus $10 off when you spend $50 with Triangle. So at three jugs it's like $23 each.

Back