Motomaster Formula 1 Premium Synthetic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking about running Motomaster Formula1 Premium syntheti in my 2018 f150 2.7l ecoboost Canadian Tire has this at a great price point, $29.99 for 5L when on sale. Has anybody had any experience using this? Oil sample results etc. Have 3500kms on my truck and went to change the oil yesterday but found my pan was leaking so have to wait til that is dealt with. The Motomaster oils are made by Shell Canada according to the MSDS sheet.

If that is the sale price, that it is not a good deal at all.

I bought Castrol Edge for that price a month or so ago at Canadian Tire. They will have M1 or Edge for around $35 and occasionally for around $30.

welcome2.gif

Last edited:
There is nothing wrong with that price. It will be a little cheaper during their boxing day sale but $30 is a good price for now. The OP should make sure this oil meets the specs as spelled out in the owner's manual. I wouldn't be surprised if this oil is identical to Pennsoil Platinum.

This is their "Premium Synthetic".

Last edited:
I've used that oil years ago. The price point has come up even when on sale.

I would look for sales on Mobil 1 or Pennzoil platinum at CT. As already mentioned, stock up on boxing day or black Friday.

You just missed Mobil 1 on sale the other week for $25.99 for 4.4L.

What the the spec for your motor?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Donnybrooke
Thinking about running Motomaster Formula1 Premium syntheti in my 2018 f150 2.7l ecoboost Canadian Tire has this at a great price point, $29.99 for 5L when on sale. Has anybody had any experience using this? Oil sample results etc. Have 3500kms on my truck and went to change the oil yesterday but found my pan was leaking so have to wait til that is dealt with. The Motomaster oils are made by Shell Canada according to the MSDS sheet.

Check the age of the MSDS sheet. I understand the maker is now Citgo.

I used it with confidence in my Lexus. It has a massive 6.something liter capacity!
crazy2.gif
Since my car is 12 years old, I'm pretty sure I can use it with confidence since it's not turbocharged

Your vehicle requires something that has HTO-06 spec in 5w30 weight.
Not sure if the MM F1 offers that level of protection, but you might want to check it out before purchasing to avoid any warranty issued, if they should arise.

And if your doing your own changes, make sure to keep your receipts!

Originally Posted By: Lolvoguy
I used it with confidence in my Lexus. It has a massive 6.something liter capacity!
crazy2.gif
Since my car is 12 years old, I'm pretty sure I can use it with confidence since it's not turbocharged

Not sure if the MM F1 offers that level of protection, but you might want to check it out before purchasing to avoid any warranty issued, if they should arise.

No it does not require a HTO-6. It requires a API SN PCMO.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
crazy2.gif

Then go tell these guys they are wrong
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2-7-oil-change-313508/

Originally Posted By: dave1251
crazy2.gif

Then go tell these guys they are wrong
https://www.f150forum.com/f118/2-7-oil-change-313508/

No use because the concept of a water cooled turbo, moderate boost, 6 quart sump, and the oil temp rarely exceeds 230F is way too advanced for users to understand conditions like this do not equal severe service. This is the same demographic which caused Ford to stop installing real oil pressure monitors on Ford vehicles due to owners using 50 grade attempting to keep "proper"oil pressure to "protect" the engine.

a few years ago MM oil was rebadged SOPUS. A good oil that used to be priced cheaper. I think it or much of their line is made by CITGO now. Not sure how it stacks up.

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Originally Posted By: Donnybrooke

Check the age of the MSDS sheet. I understand the maker is now Citgo.

Yes, that is correct. All Certified and MotoMaster brand oils will be made by CITGO. This explains the new look jugs for both of these brands.

Nothing wrong with it. Harvest King is highly-regarded on this board and it too is made by CITGO.

The only reason to avoid using it would be for political reasons. The majority owner of CITGO is the government of Venezuela. I wouldn't use this stuff if Canadian Tire was giving it away for free.

motomaster oils used to be a bargain, not so much anymore... i recently picked up 2 4.4 l jugs of black bottle castrol edge from walmart for $15 cdn each. pennzoil platinum is regularly on sale, its $28 at walmart. mobil 1 4.4 l jugs are $29. walmart sometimes even has 4.7 l jugs of valvoline synpower for $26. motomaster supreme i see is on sale for $15 for a 5 l jug, but again walmart has jugs of valvoline and pennzoil conventional for $14

The only reason you need oil from CT is if your vehicle requires a specific spec. Walmart Canada's selection has been shrinking in recent months, but there is enough selection where it meets the needs of most of it's customer base -- API.

Talked to the ford service writer and asked if they would put motorcraft 5w30 synthetic in after they repaired the oil pan leak, he said for 30 bucks they would upgrade me and change the filter. Pretty happy with that. Will put the PUP in next service.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back