Motocraft FL1A

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't find the thread but someone mentioned..as we were discussing evolution of filter media etc. ...glad they've not changed my filter.

Did a little checking today:

Champ PH8A
2005 is 5.0" tall
1989 was 5.12" tall

Baldwin B-2
2005 5 9/32" tall
B2-HPG is also offered. HPG= synthetic media

1989 5 3/8" tall
V-2-F Cotton wound element was also offered.

I did this because I had a 1989 Baldwin book at work and was curious. I would wager that if one checked the OEM dimensions on the FL1A, they too have changed over the years. Not to mention the media has changed and the current filter now has the silicon anti-drain which it wouldn't have had 5 years ago.

Filters evolves. Media evolves.

But there probably aren't to many people with 5-10 year old filters hanging around to compare to the current equivalent.

You are probably right about this. Several years ago there was a guy by the handle of tsjay who posted regularly on the Edmunds board. He was very knowledgeable and claimed to be an engineer from some paper company that supplied oil filter media to various filter manufacturers. He noted once that Ford did upgrade the efficiency of the paper media in their oil filters striking a nice balance between filtering ability and dirt holding capacity. All I've found that Ford will admit to these days is that their filters "remove 80% or more of particles larger than 20 microns."

I posted this:

"I don't find it to difficult to believe that the FL-1A available now has better media than the FL-1A that was available in 1988".

The FL-1A as far as I know does not have a silicone anti-drainback valve. (The valve is black, not red).

Yeah..I probably did get my facts mixed up on the current Motocraft and the anti-drain.

I believe it is the engine plant filter that Champ builds has the silicon valve and that's one thing that seperates the aftermarket filter from the OEM.

Although..silicon can be black..we have those in Parker hydraulic filters at work.

The reason automotive filter companies don't use black is it would be to hard for production people to tell the difference from Buna/Nitrile.

quote:

Originally posted by wavinwayne:
AFAIK, the only MC filters that have the silicone ADBV are the FL400S & FL820S. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Either the FL-200 or the FL-300 (both are short versions of the FL-1A) has a silicone valve.

I believe that the only Ford part numbers that have an "S" in them to denote a silicone valve are ones that existed prior to Ford's implementation of silicone valves.

Therefore, the FL-200 (if that's the one that came out when the Zetec engine did) has a silicone valve but no "S" because it's ALWAYS had a silicone valve.

In other words there existed versions of the FL-820 and FL-400 that had no silicone valve; these have no "S" on the part number. If you ever find one I bet it's really dusty because it's probably over 10 years old.

Was looking for an old Purolator part number earlier today and found a 1977 catalog.

The PER-1 had dimensions of:
Threads 3/4-16
3.85 OD
5.50 height
8-10psi by-pass valve.
Anti-drain: yes

compare v the current part number L30001:
Height: 5.14
Threads: 3/4-16
Anti-Drain Back Valve: Yes
O.D.: 3.78
Thread Pitch: UNF-2B
Relief Valve P.S.I.: 8-16

What I really liked was this description of the types of media from 1977:
Resin impregnated Cellullose

or combination of Cellulose with wound viscose Rayon

Or all wound viscose Rayon.

But medias haven't changed over the years...
wink.gif

nevermind filter dimensions for the same application.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back