Moto X 2nd Gen on Republic Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
My first smart phone and it seems pretty kick arse for the price. So far, the hybrid WiFi calling and data thing is working flawlessly. I've only used 50mb of cellular data in a week. That's because I'm not hitting the web or using it for GPS nav when it's on the cellular network. So far, it's connecting to public WiFi's seamlessly.

If I stay below 1 gig of cellular data for billing period, my monthly will be $27. That was Twenty Seven, not a typo. But it could be even less. The 1 gig plan is $25, no contracts. $10 of that is unlimited talk and text on Sprint (Verizon if it needs to roam) and $15 is the 1 gig of cellular data per month. Whatever amount of cellular data I don't use for the month that is below 1 gig I get on next month's bill as a credit. E.g. if I only use 500mb of cellular data I should see a $7.50 credit on next month's bill, dropping it to $19 and change. Republic Wireless.

Hope it stays as frosty as it's been so far. They really seem to have nailed the seamless WiFi connections. If a public WiFi asks for a click on a usage agreement screen before it lets you on, you only need to do that the first time for that network-- The phone remembers it and stores the extra verification steps needed for a particular WiFi and next time you're there it hooks up without needing any input from you.

There is one caveat however. Only three phone offerings: Moto E (3rd Gen), Moto G (3rd Gen), and Moto X (2nd Gen). And the phones have special firmware to make them do the seamless WiFi hookups and as such they will not work on other carriers than Republic Wireless. And you buy them up front like an unlocked phone.

So, Republic Wireless may not be for everyone. It is sort of a niche or boutique carrier I suppose, offering a unique approach for people who tend to be around open WiFi or otherwise available access points throughout their day. I myself have a free flip phone for work that has been my stalwart, I finally decided I wanted the personal assistant qualities of a mid level smart phone but without taking on a contract and $60 or more a month, and I'm literally drowning in WiFi throughout my day so Republic Wireless looked worth giving a try.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
I finally decided I wanted the personal assistant qualities of a mid level smart phone but without taking on a contract and $60 or more a month

Moto E 2nd Generation with 4G LTE (Verizon).
$45/month. 2GB Data. Unlimited talk/texting.
No contract.

I've found it to be superb.

Cricket - family plan gets you 2.5gb high speed, then throttled (no cutoff or overage) data, unlimited talk/text, on AT&Ts network.
5 lines are $100/month.

There is reddit group to join "families" and get the discount pricing, if you don't know/trust your own family/friends to do so.

Regular price is $35 for a single line.

Many phone options. No contract. Been great for us and as good, sometimes better, sometimes worse; coverage than Verizon - which is better than all other options around here.

Before we got the family plan pricing, the uber cheap options like Rep. or FreedomPop were mildly interesting. Now I'm spoiled with $20/month and great coverage.

I got FreedomPop 1 year ago today. Occasionally there are problems but last year it was awful with lagging delays and echoing in the phone. Made it very painful to talk on the phone. It has improved immensely. It is still not ATT, Verizon or Tmobile as it is based on Sprint and is not the greatest. $80/year for 500 mb data, unlimited calls and texts. They have a higher plan which is unlimited everything for around $20/mo which is still a good deal in comparison to others. Depends on your needs vs wants. I can limit my data use and even if I go over they would hit me for $10 for the next 500 mb. Not a good plan for heavy data users but light ones it works.

I looked at all those other bargain basement deals. But I'm around available WiFi all time. Just makes good sense to take advantage of free unlimited data at 802.11a/b/g or n speeds if it's there for the using. The phone will automatically hand off calls to cellular from WiFi if necessary.

Clearly, this plan is for folks who are in one place then in another, etc., that has WiFi. If you're on the road all the time then traditional cellular data plan is obviously best. Also, I understand Sprint coverage can be sketchy in some areas although they've vastly improved their network in the last several years. Around here they're solid.

As far as phone selection, everything I've read puts the Moto E/G/X's solidly leading each of their classes for the money.

So far, I really like the Moto X. It does all the voice conmmand stuff seamlessly as well. I don't have to type anything if I don't want to. "Ok Moto" and it's listening for instructions. It was "Ok Google" by default but had the option to change the attention phrase to "Ok Moto."

The other day I went in and kicked in all of the battery saving options and I'm using about 50% battery life per day now, so charging every other day. We'll see how long that lasts.

I still have to keep my assigned samsung flip phone for work, but I've forwarded all calls on it to the Moto.

I have been using Republic Wireless now for several months. I have the $10 Dollar a month plan which comes in at $13.09 with E-911 and tax.

Have unlimited talk and text. Wi-Fi only for data. Meets my needs snd a few months ago took a 3500 mile trip with no issues.

They offer cell data plans too with a rebate on data not used.

Am quite happy with their service.

Originally Posted By: surfstar
Cricket - family plan gets you 2.5gb high speed, then throttled (no cutoff or overage) data, unlimited talk/text, on AT&Ts network.
5 lines are $100/month.

There is reddit group to join "families" and get the discount pricing, if you don't know/trust your own family/friends to do so.

Regular price is $35 for a single line.

Many phone options. No contract. Been great for us and as good, sometimes better, sometimes worse; coverage than Verizon - which is better than all other options around here.

OH MY GOD, thank god someone is posting about this besides me. Your 100% correct.
To most people there will be no better plan then Click here for Cricket Wireless

Why?

Simple, there is NEVER an activation fee, NEVER a shipping charge, NEVER an added on charge.
True UNLIMITED text, talk, data, NEVER EVER an overage fee.
The monthly price quoted are the REAL PRICES, never added in taxes, surcharges or fees on your month bill. SO a $35 a month unlimited everything plan is, GUESS, THIRTY FIVE DOLLARS A MONTH< TOTAL PAYMENT< NOTHING ADDED ONTO YOUR BILL.

Correct again, the MORE phones you add to your account, the cheaper each line gets, so if you every have the need for FIVE unlimited, text, data and talk phones, your TOTAL cost per month including ALL taxes, fees, surcharges is $100 !!!!!!!!!

Ok, now the BEST PART, MANY PEOPLE do not understand, Cricket is NOT a third party cell phone company, CRICKET is ATT, ATT IS CRICKET! ITS THAT SIMPLE. Years ago ATT bought Cricket, shut down all existing Cricket service and made all Cricket service ATT.
SO when you get a Cricket cell phone, you are getting ATT , no games, no [censored], no nothing.

My family and I have been using it well over a year now, I carry a VERIZON cell phone provided by my work place and my personal Cricket (ATT) cell phone, I work all over my state and drive approx 1000 miles a week. Both phones work equally, in fact I much prefer the Cricket Windows phones I selected over my work iphone.

Ps, I do NOT, have not any relationship with Cricket and dont know anyone at Cricket. I just know about getting great deals and so do you.

Last edited:
If Republic doesn't work out I may look into Cricket. So far Republic is working good for me, and the Moto X is pretty nice.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
If Republic doesn't work out I may look into Cricket. So far Republic is working good for me, and the Moto X is pretty nice.

Thats cool, when it comes to no contract plans, what is really cool is people can select one on what they require and no more. Your plan is working out well for you and your happy, thats all that counts. The best part about ANY no contract phone is simply, anyone can change companies next month if they want to, they are not contracted into a 2 year term.

Its really amazing that people will sign up for a two year contract, at inflated service costs, for the privilege of getting a phone they cant afford to buy ... which, inflates the cost of the phone to markups unseen in many industries and are cash cows for mega corporations like Apple, Samsung etc. ,,, and ,,, its just a phone ... :eek:) everyday I see poor people with Iphones and expensive Samsungs, who in everyday life struggle to pay bills, getting sapped by these phone contracts... many times I show them my phone and tell them if interested to go to the cricketwireless site. Its important to go to the site to get the best deal, the stores, naturally have to get more money in the way of activation fee, etc, which is because expenses are higher for small stores.

Some day, if interested Ill post about the best FREE (but you pay the taxes) unlimited home phone line, voice quality amazing. (but thats another thread)

Last edited:
It is good to see more people going to no contract plans. I picked up the previous generation unlocked nexus 5 on ebay for an attractive price and signed up with Walmart family Mobile that runs on the T-Mobile network.
Coverage is excellent in my area. The monthly bill for me and the wife is very attractive.
We are happy with the service,but can easily switch to cricket,att ,metropcs or T-Mobile or any other GSM carrier.

The benefits are lower costs, no bloatware from phone manufacturer or carrier, fast android updates, no complicated contracts or "phone leases” and the freedom to switch at anytime.

I don't see any benefit in buying a locked phone from a carrier and entering into a contractual agreement.

Happy with Republic wireless as am around Wi-Fi much of the time so the unlimited talk and text with Wi-Fi data meets my needs plus recently bought a new in box LG Tribute 2 for the wife and activated it on Ring Plus. As long as you stay under the limits the total monthly rate is 0 Dollars.

They often as special offerings.

She is also on Wi-Fi much of the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back