Most you ever went on a factory fill?

Nothing subjective about it. You followed the automakers OCI and your engine did not spontaneously seize up at 120-150k miles. There's a psychological benefit to over maintaining ones vehicle and being human was make up all sorts of SUBJECTIVE/ANECODTAL reasons to justify it.
Do the same with personal vehicle and regularly take them 200-250K. Maybe it starts to impact things at 300K or 400K. I don’t know; not sure.

Again we’re stuck are in the gray area we live in around here... something could happen or nothing could happen.

The most I ever went was about 3000 miles on the factory fill and that was back when 3000 miles was the normal oil change interval.
On all new cars since my 2004 Infiniti G35 Coupe, the factory fill oil has been changed at about the1250 mile mark.

However, my 2021 Jaguar F Type R has 16,000 mile recommended OCI's. I changed out the factory fill at 2754 miles. My Blackstone report is posted in that section of the Forum. It shows high wear metals as was expected. I sure wouldn't have wanted to have that oil in for 16,000 miles or even 8,000 miles.

This is why I don't buy used cars. Or ex-leased cars. You usually have no idea how the former owners treated them.

People give the auto manufacturers to much credit in all their fluid intervals . But if you trade it in every 4 years , it doesn't matter one little bit .
One example Ford Explorer with non serviceable transfer case. All sludge by 50-60k , now they make them serviceable . Who would have thought it would need service .
I Don't follow the book for any piece of machinery .
Generally feel the same, it's not about how that vehicle is doing after a factory fill or at 50,000 miles, it's more the long term concern...and if you're not keeping it long term? It's no concern.

Why change the oil more than a four times if you're trading it in at 100,000 miles? It'll make it that far and still be "running great". However if you're running it till 300,000 miles, then I think you might want to consider intervals a little differently. IMO.

In the late 1990s, almost a quarter century ago, BMW switched to an initial oil change interval of 15K miles.

Oils have improved since then.
I've never heard of a BMW with any kind of oil related problem , ever

The Carnival owner was only 3,000 miles over the recommended mileage interval. That's really not bad. Life happens, people get busy and have priorities that are more important to them than oil changes. It's totally understandable. 95% of Carnival owners are probably not OCD about their vehicle's maintenance other than vacuuming it out, put gas in it, and go.
Blasphemy! Heretic! Shame, Shhhhaaammmee!

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
7500 on the factory oil on the company Transits, doesn't seem to affect anything in the long run. If it was my brand new vehicle, I would change it at around 2K & see if any sparkly stuff was in the oil or filter.

Isn't the Theta engine the one that grenades because of "excess material" in the block at manufacture? 50 or 60,000 miles later? That's some persistent stuff, there!
You'd be amazed at what people drag into the dealership to take advantage of the dealer's service coupon mailer that they received. Some examples of been posted on this site, others I've seen first hand. Their car's shaking and knocking as vigorously as a Jehovah's Witness, and they ask for an oil change. The oil is the consistency of pudding when drained out. You ask them how long it's been making all that racket and they can't say, they just assumed it was normal. It's incredible frightening what some people think is normal.

There's probably plenty of vehicles out there who go through an entire 36 month lease and never see a single oil change ...

Doesn't even have to be a lease. My Dad worked as an engineer before he retired. One of his engineer buddies had a Suzuki Samurai that blew an engine at 36K miles. My Dad asked him how frequently he changed the oil. The engineer responded "Never checked it or changed it since I bought it new..." :oops:

Do the same with personal vehicle and regularly take them 200-250K. Maybe it starts to impact things at 300K or 400K. I don’t know; not sure.

Again we’re stuck are in the gray area we live in around here... something could happen or nothing could happen.
250k miles? It'll be a 25 yr old car by then so who cares at that point? There's probably a laundry list of non-lubricant related issues to address.

Back