Most trendy and/or fashionable cars?

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Carbonics:
ekpolk, is it really illegal? or is it just inconsiderate? sounds like she just has a lack of class to me, I've heard that you must keep with the flow of traffic and cannot impede it by driving significantly slower, but does that count if everyone is driving 90 mph in the fast lane? she should have just had respect and moved over a lane - but I guess that prius has really good air bags cause she's trusting that no one will put her into the wall.

It depends on what state you are in. In California it can be illegal to impede traffic even if you are driving above the speed limit. It's spelled oput in detail in the CVC which is on line. Anyone who wants to control the speed other cars are driving should join a police force and go on traffic duty. Everyone else should get out of the way.

The Lotus Exige and Elise are pretty trendy here in Los Angeles. Females that usually would drive a Miata but with much more money like to drive those Loti.

quote:

Originally posted by labman:
Who buys the gas for the PEP's?

Who do you think?
wink.gif

Hint: not the driver.

quote:

ekpolk, is it really illegal? or is it just inconsiderate? sounds like she just has a lack of class to me, I've heard that you must keep with the flow of traffic and cannot impede it by driving significantly slower, but does that count if everyone is driving 90 mph in the fast lane? she should have just had respect and moved over a lane - but I guess that prius has really good air bags cause she's trusting that no one will put her into the wall.

Laws vary by state, but almost universally, yes, it is illegal (hence my use of my preferred term, "left lane bandit")! Whether or not it is actually an infraction for which you can be made to pay a fine varies too, but usually, it is. Click here to see a nice, concise compilation table of state laws, with links to sources. Pitzel? Pitzel, where are you???
wink.gif
tongue.gif
cheers.gif

One reason Prius drivers drive so slow is because they have the MPG meter SOOO predominate in the display. Whenever they do anything, the mpg changes, it's great for realtime feedback. If I had that big mpg meter in my Land Cruiser, I'd probably drive slower on the freeway so I can see for a fact if I am getting over 15 mpg.

If they took that mpg meter away on the Prius and just had the speedometer, the Prius owners would drive faster.

Well, yes and no. I don't find myself dominated by the mileage displays. The nag factor has slowed me down some, but I still tend to cruise just below 80 on the open interstates. What the displays really do, at least for me, is keep me careful with techniques. Acceleration, deceleration, hill climbing/descending, and so forth, can all be done more efficiently with real-time fuel consumption data staring you in the face (numerically and graphically). I make a point not to obstruct others, and since I rarely have gobs of excess time, I'm still willing to trade the fuel for the time to arrive earlier on long trips. Even when I'm running fast, this car still runs in the high 40s typically, though with five passengers and cargo, it will dip to the low 40s. So even fast, I'm getting over 20 miles extra distance out every gallon of gas burned. And of course, it beats the living daylights out of my wife's Sequoia, so we tend to use the Prius when I'm home.

quote:

Originally posted by Hirev:
I'm old enough not to care what is trendy and/or fashionable.
wink.gif

Amen - I'm 'only' 35 but I really don't care much anymore either. That goes for clothes, cars, electronics, etc.

My rule is if I like it, it's 'by definition' cool.
cool.gif

As for all the rich kids, I wonder if that is why depression (or at least the pharmaceutical commercials) seems so prevalent. Hard to come down from that high when you're not the most important person in the world anymore and you have to pay your own bills and such.

Our distant in-law drives her Prius at 65 in the fast lane and has never received a ticket. I've come up behind here when the flow of traffic was 80 and there is a constant stream of cars passing her on her right side. I flash my high beams and blast by. She has never commented on my rude behavior and I think it's because she does not notice that it's me. She sees the world as she wants to, and is convinced that she is a good person. I think she's good, too, but good for what, I don't know. Maybe she's there to balance ekpolk out.

quote:

Originally posted by Louie's gone fishing:
At a family get-together a distant in-law that drives a Prius was telling me about her gas mileage. She claimed that she got 60 mpg on a recient trip. She drive 65 on the freeway, no matter how many cars piled behind her. She said that it was her right to drive in the fast lane because she was driving the speed limit, and she cares about the environment. Then, in front of everyone, she asked me how my V8 4Runner does. Well, it gets 18mpg, but just to stir the pot I told here that I'm working on trying to get it up to 10mpg but that I refuse to drive below 80mph because I'm always in a hurry and have lots of places to go. She got so upset at me that she left the get-together in a big huff. I nominate the Prius with her as the spokesperson for the trendy car award. I don't think she represents all Prius drivers, but she would like to.

lol.gif
If you wanted to really get her, you should have mentioned that it had been such a hot summer you had to leave the truck running all night a few times with the air on just to make sure it was cool inside it when you got in it in the morning...
grin.gif

quote:

Our distant in-law drives her Prius at 65 in the fast lane and has never received a ticket. I've come up behind here when the flow of traffic was 80 and there is a constant stream of cars passing her on her right side. I flash my high beams and blast by. She has never commented on my rude behavior and I think it's because she does not notice that it's me. She sees the world as she wants to, and is convinced that she is a good person. I think she's good, too, but good for what, I don't know. Maybe she's there to balance ekpolk out.

Funny you say this as I've noticed a lot of fast hybrid drivers on our freeways which I figured goes against the whole purpose of their car. On numerous occasions I have been following a Prius doing 80-90 in the fast lane so I guess they like better fuel economy but no so much to be parked next to the semi's.

quote:

(...snip...)I think she's good, too, but good for what, I don't know. Maybe she's there to balance ekpolk out.

lol.gif

================================================

quote:

Originally posted by windnsea00:
Funny you say this as I've noticed a lot of fast hybrid drivers on our freeways which I figured goes against the whole purpose of their car. On numerous occasions I have been following a Prius doing 80-90 in the fast lane so I guess they like better fuel economy but no so much to be parked next to the semi's.

This comment reflects one of the common Prius misconceptions. The fuel use advantage of this car does not abruptly disappear as you go above 65 mph. With just me and a couple things in the car, at just below 80 mph, I still manage to hit the high 40s (though the new Michelin Hydroedges I put on it have hurt me some -- still waiting for them to loosen up). The car is actually very quiet and comfortable at 80. Just because one of the car's missions is achieving high fuel economy, that doesn't mean I have to struggle to maximize mileage at all times. Counterpoint: how often do you see a Corvette driver taking full advantage of his car's speed or handling potential while cruising down an interstate?

quote:

This comment reflects one of the common Prius misconceptions. The fuel use advantage of this car does not abruptly disappear as you go above 65 mph. With just me and a couple things in the car, at just below 80 mph, I still manage to hit the high 40s (though the new Michelin Hydroedges I put on it have hurt me some -- still waiting for them to loosen up). The car is actually very quiet and comfortable at 80. Just because one of the car's missions is achieving high fuel economy, that doesn't mean I have to struggle to maximize mileage at all times. Counterpoint: how often do you see a Corvette driver taking full advantage of his car's speed or handling potential while cruising down an interstate?

I wasn't saying it in a negative way but just found it sort of funny seeing a car that was for the most part bought for fuel economy and the envrionment and then to see it leading all the fast cars.

I've been part of the crowd when my family had a `04 Jetta TDI wagon, while I could've gone 65 to really bring in some impressive mpg's, I still ended up going with the "flow of traffic."

Not taken as a negative. You're far from alone. I've heard and read many comments along the same lines. Don't forget that as I'm leading all the fast cars, I'm still burning about half the gas that they are!
wink.gif
And I still have the option, when I feel like it (which isn't all that often) to slow down to 60-65 and burn 1/3 the fuel they are consuming. This capability will come in handy if (should I say "when") gas skyrockets to astronomical prices.
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by LC:
Fashionable car?
My pick the Mercury Milan Premier.
I am bias since I just bought one.
 -

banglebutt, I like the front end better
cheers.gif

quote:

I think you have to combine the driver and the vehicle to get the trendy award. I pulled a Civic Hybrid out of a ditch with a '50 Chevy 1-ton pickup. Driver error. After pulling the car out, the driver told me I should be more considerate of the environment and drive a more eco friendly vehicle. That owner came very close to being put back into the ditch. I think some of these eco friendly cars trade on the idea that some people are better than the rest of us. They know it, and when they drive one of these arcade game cars, then we know it too. I'll bet that's whey the Prius will outsell the Civic and Accord. It's got that litttle bit of extra appeal. That Civic from the ditch had a great big decal on the back that told the world that this was a driver that cared.

Good grief! What an ungrateful joker he was!

quote:

Originally posted by jdm90:
'85 Chevy Truck 4x4,lift kit, CO-OP mudders (mud tires), 350 V8 w/ glasspacks Holley 750 double pumper, 3 bar light bar w/ 6 KC's,Yosimite Sam-Back Off! mud flaps
lol.gif
burnout.gif

You know, I have a vague hunch that I might actually get better mileage in my Prius than you do in that monster!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

You should not take my comment as any sort of slap (I also, fer cryin' out loud, own a Sequoia, not exactly a mileage champ...).

Actually, can I borrow your truck for a couple days? I'd like to take it to Berkeley and just cruise the streets for a day or two. Now that would be entertaining. . .
cheers.gif

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:

quote:

Originally posted by jdm90:
'85 Chevy Truck 4x4,lift kit, CO-OP mudders (mud tires), 350 V8 w/ glasspacks Holley 750 double pumper, 3 bar light bar w/ 6 KC's,Yosimite Sam-Back Off! mud flaps
lol.gif
burnout.gif

You know, I have a vague hunch that I might actually get better mileage in my Prius than you do in that monster!
wink.gif
tongue.gif

You should not take my comment as any sort of slap (I also, fer cryin' out loud, own a Sequoia, not exactly a mileage champ...).

Actually, can I borrow your truck for a couple days? I'd like to take it to Berkeley and just cruise the streets for a day or two. Now that would be entertaining. . .
cheers.gif

I'll go with you. We'll retard the timing, richen the idle, and close the gap on a couple of sparkplugs; #5 and #8 I think. Spend a lot of time idling near sidewalk cafes.
lol.gif

lol.gif
burnout.gif

Interesting responses, though I think some are confusing trendy/fashionable with just plain "popular."

I apologize in advance if I'm being prejudice, but I'm just stating what I see on the streets:

VW Jetta/New Beetle- Teenagers, females.
Scion tC- middle-class, asian females, some males as well.
Ford Focus- white, middle to upper class, female.

The TL seems to be quite popular around here too, but its a toss-up as to who it's fashionable with, as I see plenty of young and older drivers.

Escalade- Predominately young, African American or Hispanic drivers. But I rarely see any of these in my neighborhood, only in the lower-income parts of town.
dunno.gif

300 with HUGE wheels- Again, predominately younger African American or Hispanic buyers, not sure why.

RX330- Middle-aged couples.

Popular?

Teenagers: Any 4-cyl Honda/Toyota family sedan, within the last five years. Trendy people aside, there are still quite a few Acura/Lexus models, but those are obviously hand-me-downs.

Families: Sienna, Odyssey, Pilot, MDX, and 4-cyl Honda/Toyota vehicles.

The six-cylinder Taurus/Malibus are also extremely common in the lower-income parts of town, but are driven predominately by African American or Hispanic drivers, age irrelevant. Again, not sure why. I think I see two or three of these in my neighborhood a year, but I can't go more than ten feet without seeing one in some parts of town that I frequent.

quote:

Originally posted by XS650:

quote:

It depends on what state you are in. In California it can be illegal to impede traffic even if you are driving above the speed limit. It's spelled oput in detail in the CVC which is on line. Anyone who wants to control the speed other cars are driving should join a police force and go on traffic duty. Everyone else should get out of the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back