Most Reliable Winter Tires?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a set of summer wheels and tires for the Civic. I am going to be purchasing a set of winter tires for the OEM wheels in 205/55/16.

At the moment, I am leaning toward Hankook Winter i*cept iz tires.

Any reason not to go with them?

What have been the most reliable winter tires you have run for winter snow and ice use?

I remember being especially impressed by Uniroyal M&S on a rented Ford Focus driving through the Alps in the Winter of 2011, I was driving sensibly because there were some LONG drops off the sides of those roads but not once did I feel out of control or in danger.

Firestone Winterforce
laugh.gif
-- No, joking there.

Nokian has some great designs. A lot of companies have been able to come out with similar designs (General Altimax Arctic) - if you can get a Nokian or one of the copies, I'd go for that.

I'm torn between Nokian and Blizzaks.

Currently, I have a set of studded Winterforce (not good) and studded and hand siped Goodyear Workhorse (pretty good).

I was amazed at how well the Arizonian Silver Editions did last winter here in MI, even with all of the freezing rain, and heavy snow. They're technically all-seasons and I had them siped for a bit more grip in the snow. I used them on my Acura, so the car was a similar size with a similar suspension set-up, FWIW. They were mounted on 14" steel rims, however. We had snow tires on my girlfriend's Grand Am, and they didn't really make that much of a difference while on ice. I honestly don't think it's going to matter much what tires you use on ice, unless they're studded. They were great in the snow, though. I believe they were Cooper WeatherMasters that we got from Discount Tire. I have heard great things about Blizzaks as well, but I couldn't find any at the tire shops around here for the size of her rims. Oh, and I also find that if you get the tires more narrow, they tend to cut through the snow a bit easier. It did in my Acura, at least. Both times I had more narrow tires, they cut through the snow nicely. When I went to wider tires, I could barely make it to work in the lightest amount of snow.

Originally Posted By: ThirdeYe
I was amazed at how well the Arizonian Silver Editions did last winter here in MI, even with all of the freezing rain, and heavy snow. They're technically all-seasons and I had them siped for a bit more grip in the snow. I used them on my Acura, so the car was a similar size with a similar suspension set-up, FWIW. They were mounted on 14" steel rims, however. We had snow tires on my girlfriend's Grand Am, and they didn't really make that much of a difference while on ice. I honestly don't think it's going to matter much what tires you use on ice, unless they're studded. They were great in the snow, though. I believe they were Cooper WeatherMasters that we got from Discount Tire. I have heard great things about Blizzaks as well, but I couldn't find any at the tire shops around here for the size of her rims.

I received one of those by mistake from tread depot. They look like they would be a decent all season.

Apparently they are made on the same line as the Lifeliner GLS ...

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Nokian has some great designs. A lot of companies have been able to come out with similar designs (General Altimax Arctic)

Altimax Arctic is a copy of Gislaved Nordfrost 3, not Nokian. Great winter tire, by the way, despite its aging design.

Does Cooper make anything you like? I had to say that! I've had winter tires biased for ice and they were no better in snow than very good all-season tires. Those Hankooks might work out for you if they aren't designed for ultimate ice traction.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Does Cooper make anything you like? I had to say that! I've had winter tires biased for ice and they were no better in snow than very good all-season tires. Those Hankooks might work out for you if they aren't designed for ultimate ice traction.

I would really like to like Cooper tires! I just think there are a lot better options out there for the cost. My name being Cooper, it would kinda be cool for me, but, I like Tire Rack's reviews and the opinions of others here more than a name on the side of the tire.

what kind of snow tires do you want

which hankooks there is about 9 models of snow tire.

Haven't used Hankook but I'll recommend Toyo G02 Observe plus or it's updated version the GSi5.
Excellent grip in heavy snow,ice, wet and dry. I've been through two winters with them and never been stuck, or close to it.
In the ice storm we had, I was lucky enough to be stopped for a train at the bottom of a steep hill, upon accelerating the tires just dug in and gripped while other cars behind me just sat and spun tires.... Some people tend to poke fun at Toyo using walnut shells in the tire as part of the ice gripping tech they use, but it works and is very effective.
They are pricey but worth a look.

Last edited:
I concur with the Nokian option. I put them on the RWD Volvo that I used to drive, which did very well in New York winters. The Hakkapeliitta 8 is probably the best out there. You can get them studded if you want to go crazy.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Nokian has some great designs. A lot of companies have been able to come out with similar designs (General Altimax Arctic)

Altimax Arctic is a copy of Gislaved Nordfrost 3, not Nokian. Great winter tire, by the way, despite its aging design.

Considering that both General and Gislaved belong to Continental they are not copies but the same tire differently branded.

Krzys

Originally Posted By: krzyss
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Considering that both General and Gislaved belong to Continental they are not copies but the same tire differently branded.

Krzys

Yes sir.

Originally Posted By: Cooper
I recently purchased a set of summer wheels and tires for the Civic. I am going to be purchasing a set of winter tires for the OEM wheels in 205/55/16.

At the moment, I am leaning toward Hankook Winter i*cept iz tires.

Any reason not to go with them?

What have been the most reliable winter tires you have run for winter snow and ice use?

What do you need winter tire for?
You live in OH, so no mountains. I would go with Michelin xIce3.
It is good compromise between road manners and snow traction, it even has 40K mileage warranty.
If you need winter tire for deep snow etc, Bridgestone Blizzaks, Continental Wintercontact (continental makes best winter tires in EU, but does not export them here).
I would stay from away from Hankook etc, unless you do not want to spend money on those tires I mentioned.

I've run Blizzaks on a 2002 Subaru Outback, and on a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I feel they are a good tire, but they're the only winter tires I've had so I can't compare to other tires. They've been good for the MN winters.

edyvw makes a very good point. Every tire, and especially every special purpose tire like snow tires, is a compromise. What does reliable mean to you?

Some are better on ice. Some are better in deep snow. Some have better hydroplane resistance. Some wear less on dry roads or have better dry braking or dry handling. No winter tire does it all well.

My latest snow tires purchase was the Hankook Winter i*cept evo...I didn't want studs and I wanted superior hydroplane resistance even more than the best snow & ice traction. That suited my needs the best. I used "Consumer Reports" rankings to pick those tires, and they've worked well for me so far. By the way, in their testing the Nokian tires do well, but not the best in any category. A previous FWD car used studded Hankook Winter i*pikes with very good results. The Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1s on my truck do a fine job. What are your criteria?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back