Most Fuel-Efficient Cars (That Aren't Electric or Hybrid) -CARandDRIVER

And the Corolla hybrid LE costs about $2500 more to buy and has about $3000 higher depreciation and maint/repair costs over 5 years than the gasoline only Corolla LE. Long term they cost pretty much the same, just where and when the money is spent.

While the cost of ownership is essentially the same, driving 200,000 miles with the corolla hybrid will save me almost $9000 in gas over 6 years; $1,500/year saved. Maybe not the best choice for somebody in an area with low cost of gas, doesn't drive as much, or doesn't keep their cars long, but that amount of money saved per year for somebody who drives a lot or where gas is expensive is a good idea.

My sis has a 2014 Mazda CX-5 with that 2.0 Skyactiv. It has amazing amount of power but sounds like a tractor. Really great mileage.
We have a 2013 CX-5 with the 2.0 Skyactive. Mainly city use nets us 28MPG. It's a relatively heavy vehicle for the 2.0 but that's good for the new driver who uses it the most in our family. Might get 35mpg on a pure highway run.

Also I believe if a company could make an every man vehicle that got 70 mpg all day they would.

Technically if you measure the actual drag of most any normal road going vehicle you could get 50-90mpg at 25mph no matter what you drive
if the motor is designed for peak efficiency at that speed, anyway.

Needless to say we live in the real world, no one is going to make a multimotor car or design it to max out at 25mph

This is why electrification is important, our current EVs are not “efficient” at idle but you get most of the low speed losses made up by the dramatic decrease in drag at low speeds (which some hybrids and most EVs can take advantage of)
But plain gassers can’t take advantage of the decrease in drag unless you shut the engine off

As some examples

Attachments

• 679AA54E-8507-4FCD-BA6C-33E60E0F77D8.jpg
    679AA54E-8507-4FCD-BA6C-33E60E0F77D8.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 6B028C99-1E1E-4B49-A0A8-49A57576F941.jpeg
    6B028C99-1E1E-4B49-A0A8-49A57576F941.jpeg
    63.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
While the cost of ownership is essentially the same, driving 200,000 miles with the corolla hybrid will save me almost $9000 in gas over 6 years; $1,500/year saved. Maybe not the best choice for somebody in an area with low cost of gas, doesn't drive as much, or doesn't keep their cars long, but that amount of money saved per year for somebody who drives a lot or where gas is expensive is a good idea.
Yes, but 2/3 of your savings were used in higher purchase price and depreciation over those years. So really you are saving more like $3000 in 6 years, $500 per year. Still a savings but not as great.

When my wife and I travel on our vacations we shoot for 400 miles/day in our Roadtrek camper van. Nothing I know of in the EV market can duplicate that. We run the dash AC witch lessens the mileage on EV's. Maybe someday but not right now and we had a reasonable purchase price when we bought our home on wheels.

They only can take EPA overall though is 22MPG. You are not properly comparing them.
Could be, but I’m just reporting real world experience. I don’t think I ever got below 22 mpg and used to idle that car for 4-6 hours a day a lot of times.

Yes, but 2/3 of your savings were used in higher purchase price and depreciation over those years. So really you are saving more like $3000 in 6 years, $500 per year. Still a savings but not as great.
Depreciation imo only matters to certain people. I'm not looking to see what my car is worth after I've driven it until the wheels fall off but I see your point.

Back