Most expensive rust available for sale.

Ended up stopping by a dealer lot just for a tease to see how much price gouging was going on. Yep, 2016 Dodge ram 1500 tradesman with 90k miles and only $22,995. Without immediate intervention I bet it has 3 yrs max left before recycling.

And was curious why we can't make better paint from the factory as to protect the frame and sheet metal. Ford and dodge use black paint that fails, gm uses a wax that I think is worse.
1021232114c.jpg
1021232113a.jpg

That's nothin'. If any of you guys are fans of Tyrrell's Classic Workshop channel on YouTube you may have seen the restoration that is being done on a Ferrari 246GT Dino. Those things rusted like a Chevy Vega. You'd better have deep, deep pockets if you own one of them and want to keep it roadworthy.

Yep looks like a typical New England truck, and people wonder why I think $80k is nuts for a new Super Duty. It's because after only a few years it will look like that underneath. The rust is concerning, but the salt spray into the electrical modules and components the factory conveniently mounted under the vehicle is what will get ya. ;)

A more valid question might be why is there not something that can be used on roads that doesn't do this to vehicles? We get to pay for and deal with the GM frame wax in Arizona because of the salt on the roads in Pa. Not fair. I lived in Pa for 48 years so know what you're dealing with.

There has to be something else.

A more valid question might be why is there not something that can be used on roads that doesn't do this to vehicles? We get to pay for and deal with the GM frame wax in Arizona because of the salt on the roads in Pa. Not fair. I lived in Pa for 48 years so know what you're dealing with.
There are alternatives. In theory.
I live in an area that uses salt during the winter. Now we don't have it as bad as some areas of the country, but the highway department will put down salt before the storm as a preventative and keep using it until the ice melts.
But it all boils down to the budget. The salt solution is far cheaper than anything else. When the roads are slick and people are calling in and are complaining about how it hasn't been cleared or "salted", they do not care about using something that will save the undercarriage of a vehicle. FYI: I live in a rural area and am on a township board and we do everything we can to get the most kick out of the taxpayer dollar. I also have a daughter in Phoenix (close to where you live?) and it really is nice to see old cars driving there that have no rust.

My Truck has that wax EVERYWHERE! Great for the rust belt. In Washington state is useless. Stuff just does not rust out here. The underside of my kids 2003 2500HD would make rust belt folks sad.

. FYI: I live in a rural area and am on a township board and we do everything we can to get the most kick out of the taxpayer dollar.
Wonder which would be cheaper in reality, road salt or not having you vehicle destroyed in 10 years?

@Fordiesel69, should we have to pay more for better rustproofing when we don't need it? Bet the car companies really aren't bothered about vehicles rusting out.

Last edited:
This day in age? Neither! To be honest having grown up in upstate New York, I might take my chances with no so salt or just sand (which the town I lived in used mostly sand) so my stuff didn't rust.
I'm in SW Missouri so it doesn't get too bad here but we still have 3-4 good snow and ice events every year. I actually prefer sand on our highway. We have a long hill to pull in either direction getting out of the farm and the salt usually melts them off only to refreeze at night(when I'm coming home at 1am) and the sand sticks around and provides just enough traction to crawl over them.

Wonder which would be cheaper in reality, road salt or not having you vehicle destroyed in 10 years?
You tell us the answer to that. I’m serious. You tell me (and everyone else here) exactly what this country can use on a massive scale that is available in volume and is economically viable. I’ll wait.

This day in age? Neither! To be honest having grown up in upstate New York, I might take my chances with no so salt or just sand (which the town I lived in used mostly sand) so my stuff didn't rust.
Is the salt used to provide traction, or is it used to help the ice melt? We over here in California never understood the concept.

Last edited:
You tell us the answer to that. I’m serious. You tell me (and everyone else here) exactly what this country can use on a massive scale that is available in volume and is economically viable. I’ll wait.
I have no idea I'm not a chemist. Not blaming you for using what's cheapest. Bet there have been plenty of private studies of the economic cost to consumers due to vehicles rusting apart. You probably know much road salt costs each of your taxpayers per year... cost of salt divided by number of taxpayers.

The other side of the story is car makers want to sell cars and salt ruins cars that have to be replaced. Also rustbelt mechanics hate rust but it brings them more business. So there's really no push to find something else. Salt ruins cars, damages the highways and the runoff is bad for the environment but it's cheap.

A good portion of vehicles are sold to states where it either doesn't snow or salt is not used on the roads. Then another portion of vehicles have a useful life less than the amount of time it would take to rot out. If you treated 100% of vehicles at the factory with better rust protection, then alot of cars are overbuilt for the application.

Salt is used to lower the freezing temperature of water. It works to a point and the friction of tires running over a road surface helps, but in really cold conditions it's ineffective. Fun fact, icebergs and glaciers are made of fresh water with the ice formed by years of snowfall and compaction. Bergs floating in open ocean are not frozen seawater.
WRT the rust belt, it varies. We are in the southern rust belt here in SW Ohio and vehicles don't seem to suffer too badly, but a drive just 250 miles north and east to the shores of Lake Erie reveals a remarkable difference in the rate of vehicle corrosion.

If I buy a new car and run it 15 years, and it rusts out, it's worth $750 in scrap.
If I buy a new car and it doesn't rust out, it dies of mechanical maladies at 20 years, and is worth the same.
But if I go south and buy a 15 year old car, it's worth $4000, not rusted out, given the potential life remaining.
So I get 5 years for $3250. $650 a year. So now let's say there are ten winter storms a year. Would you pay $65 a storm to get home safely, in the dark, after a long day of work? I honestly would. Now would I run out in a storm, on my day off, to get a gallon of milk, knowing it's taking $65 off my car? No!

We over here in California never understood the concept.
At least you admit it. But feel free to tell us salt-belters what to use to prevent rust on our cars :ROFLMAO:

They use so much rock salt here its like driving on pea gravel.

The brine(pretreat roads before storm) is tackified to never leave your car without protest.
and now they are using fracking wastewater brine that is toxic waste.. :sick:

Last edited:
Back