Most deadly cars to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by PimTac
Originally Posted by gman2304
What happens when that safety feature laden Kia Sportage pulls out in front of a F250 dually pulling a 2 horse trailer at 55 mph and gets T boned? Energy, mass, indeed physics comes into play in a millisecond. I'll sacrifice a few mpg's for a larger safer car with similar safety features as the Kia.
49.gif

What happens when that safety feature laden F250 dually pulls out in front of a tractor trailer at 55 mph and gets T boned?

Cherry picking examples never wins.
Of course it does. Thanks for the affirmation. Read my post again where I mention energy, mass, and physics!

Originally Posted by MCompact
And I'll stick with vehicles less than 180" long and weighing under 3,500 lbs. To each his own...

OEMs and government are going to have to accept that, too. Yes, I like big vehicles. I've driven a lot of big vehicles. I undoubtedly will again. We have a lot of very large vehicles doing simple grocery getting whereas a golf cart would do the job. Improving fuel economy by gimmicky technology or reducing oil viscosity is well past the point of diminishing returns. The other part of the physics that matters is that moving heavy vehicles takes more energy.

Originally Posted by 4WD
Guess a locomotive pulling a train is next in the food chain
. Now we're getting somewhere! Again, no stats, it's simple physics, which Is seemingly being ignored here. The Smart car did OK in barrier crash testing and Daimler deemed it safe to be such a small car. In head on crash tests with large suv's at 40 mph according to the insurance institute for safety it failed miserably with the occupants almost certainly being fatally injured. And it's not just the tiny Smart car that fails these frontal crashes. Drive what you want, by all means! But as I said I'll sacrifice a few mpg's for the added safety of a larger vehicle.
My
49.gif

Originally Posted by eljefino
Up here I bet the CR-V would make that list. Bought by people who know nothing about cars, or driving. So they get the little 4x4 so they can drive in snow, parallel park, and they get the honda because it's reliable.

These guys get stymied by 4 way stops, red lights that turn green again, and other, similar obstacles.

Maybe they drive slowly enough they don't die. This is just one data point in the set, after all.

Here it's Subarus.

Not really interested in any lists like this because 95% of safety is in the hands of the operator. Operator error is the leading cause of deadly accidents.

They used the per billion mile system for "scaling" purposes.

In other words, if they would have used anything less than a billion, the difference between the "deadliest" and the "safest" would be essentially undetectable.

Good job, useless bombastic article.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor
Not really interested in any lists like this because 95% of safety is in the hands of the operator. Operator error is the leading cause of deadly accidents.

Bingo.

Originally Posted by AuthorEditor

This is a good point.
Driver demographics do matter in evaluating the fatal injury rate of any car.
Those cars that seem relatively dangerous in the hands of their target market might look pretty good if driven by older, better educated and more affluent folks.
Most old-school SUVs and pickups aren't especially safe, since they experience more rollover events than do CUVs and passenger cars.
Driven by the same people who drive some of the apparently more deadly cars on the road they'd look pretty deadly as well.

Originally Posted by thrace
Different studies, different results.

Actually, those are the same results. Just not location specific.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back