US News Ranks Most Satisfying Cars to Own

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: BrianWC
I have no problem with people wanting a green image car. The problem I have is when I am poking along on the interstate, sweating it out and trying to conserve as much as possible....and then some Prius owner zips by me at 85-90 mph.

Yeah I see that a lot.

What's common around here are the Prius owners who work in DC but live in Fredericksburg,VA (that's at least a 50-mile one-way commute), and the only reason they got the thing is so they can use the HOV lanes on I95 as a single occupant vehicle.

The hybrid HOV exemption needs to go away, more sooner than later.

Originally Posted By: brianl703
What's common around here are the Prius owners who work in DC but live in Fredericksburg,VA (that's at least a 50-mile one-way commute), and the only reason they got the thing is so they can use the HOV lanes on I95 as a single occupant vehicle.

The hybrid HOV exemption needs to go away, more sooner than later.

Yup. I've known people that solely bought a hybrid because they were grandfathered into the HOV thing a while back.

Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
Originally Posted By: css9450
There sure a lot of categories on that list! What is an "aspirational" luxury car? Some sort of wannabe? And the "image" compact car, what is that exactly? And all those SUV categories makes my head spin.

True that. They missed the Aspirational Pickup Truck category...

Ridgeline?

Originally Posted By: Tornado Red
Why is my car not on that list?
36.gif

Because no one wants a german electrical nightmare.
grin2.gif

I've had no unusual electrical problems. Replaced a MAF sensor under warranty at 32k miles, then didn't replace again for another 210k miles. Replaced an alternator pulley at ~80k miles. And replaced a turn signal switch at around 220k miles. So definitely not a nightmare.

On the plus side, it's got good interior space and adequate towing capacity. It's fast and stable, comfortable and safe, and gets great fuel economy. Plus it looks good. It is so satisfying that I hope to keep it another 300k miles or even more.

Originally Posted By: Jonny Z
Originally Posted By: ccs v2.0
Originally Posted By: css9450
There sure a lot of categories on that list! What is an "aspirational" luxury car? Some sort of wannabe? And the "image" compact car, what is that exactly? And all those SUV categories makes my head spin.

True that. They missed the Aspirational Pickup Truck category...

Ridgeline?

Honda should have had two vehicles in the list.

The Ridgeline is not a bad truck. It's certainly not the value leader and certainly won't win any beauty contests. But...

Originally Posted By: firemachine69
Why is my car not on that list?
36.gif

Because no one wants a german electrical nightmare.
grin2.gif

afaik, VW now uses the same wiring harness and switchgear supplier as TOYOTA and Honda.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
afaik, VW now uses the same wiring harness and switchgear supplier as TOYOTA and Honda.

Is that a good thing or a bad thing?

TrueDelta.com reports that both 2008 and 2009 VWs have above-average quality/repair records. Their dealerships still suck, though.

Tornado Red said:
[
Quote:

Their dealerships (VWoA) still suck, though.

There has been some improvement but not nearly enough. Still plenty of crummy franchises around as of today. The competence of the techs is middling and the prices for non warranty service are outrageous at best for most service items.

My uncle bailed out on his Chrysler dealership about the time of the Iacoca bailout. He said there was no money to be made in selling Chryslers anymore. His kids wanted him to sell Hondas, but he didn't think the location was right. He switched to selling mobile homes instead. So he was half smart.

My local dealership is great. I have access to people at other ones as well.Cost-wise for dealer repair, remember that the tech are constantly training is school for service of the latest vehicles.

I kind of like the new CC.

I've had no unusual electrical problems. Replaced a MAF sensor under warranty at 32k miles, then didn't replace again for another 210k miles. Replaced an alternator pulley at ~80k miles. And replaced a turn signal switch at around 220k miles. So definitely not a nightmare.

On the plus side, it's got good interior space and adequate towing capacity. It's fast and stable, comfortable and safe, and gets great fuel economy. Plus it looks good. It is so satisfying that I hope to keep it another 300k miles or even more.

Amen! Mine have had maybe as many non-routine maintenance issues, across the whole group. All have had the miles piled on 'em.

I've had more issues with my Hondas...

My GTI has been absolutely flawless, while issues with my other Volkswagens have been extremely rare despite their age and mileage. The DSG is humming right along, even with a substantial increase in torque being channeled through it in my car's case.

The '08 GTIs have been returning excellent reliability numbers, regardless of the information source. The GTI is also widely regarded as the car to beat in its category. It has won numerous comparisons against its rivals, with kudos being given to the DSG in particular. The one thing that is typically listed as the point that could be improved upon is the power output. A simple re-tune places the power output equal to, or better than, its rivals.

There have been cases of DSG failures, usually related to the mechatronics assembly. In comparison, we can look at the record of failures that Honda has had with the simple planetary automatic. If there was a gearbox design that someone should have no problem executing with a level of competency, it is the planetary automatic. Yet, somehow, Honda managed to get it wrong not so long ago. Take a look at the reliability reports for older Odyssey vans...

In the past, I was paid to drive virtually every car that was available in the North American market, from Porsches to Yugos. In the grand scheme of things, I think this gives me a pretty good term of reference. Meanwhile, my family has owned Toyotas, Hondas, various domestics, and Volkswagens. In fact, we owned our first Toyota long before they were considered a common sight on American roads. By an overwhelming extent, we all prefer Volkswagens, on both the reliability and personality fronts.

As always, YMMV...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back