Most deadly cars to drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many fatalities could there be in Phoenix only in a Sportage? How many total accident fatalities in Phoenix per year for all cars? Pretty random how an accident happens on flat and straight city streets. If I am given a Sportage to drive anywhere I am not thinking twice that it by itself is going to kill me, or even think it once. I may look at the safety ratings and the Sportage is very good.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

Originally Posted by Farnsworth
How many fatalities could there be in Phoenix only in a Sportage? How many total accident fatalities in Phoenix per year for all cars? Pretty random how an accident happens on flat and straight city streets. If I am given a Sportage to drive anywhere I am not thinking twice that it by itself is going to kill me, or even think it once. I may look at the safety ratings and the Sportage is very good.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/ratings

Ratings are one thing, real world performance is another.

What fatalities per whatever miles driven tell you is how well the vehicle does at protecting the occupants in real world accidents, not that it will kill you by itself.

I say it's quite a good study and we should definitely have more like it. Perhaps going into more details as far a demographics etc.

Last edited:
On another note, I have been watching a lot of moose avoidence tests and noticed that Hyundai and Kia vehicles, not just their SUVs do quite poorly on that test. Their SUVs are downright scary to watch, even the small ones.

Here is a KiA Sportage

Last edited:
Originally Posted by AZjeff
Originally Posted by MCompact
Did the statistics take into account that a large percentage of the drivers of those "deadly cars" might well have died of boredom?

Wondering how any of your sig cars would make my 75 mile/day commute on wide fairly straight low traffic 60% 4 lane divided more interesting than driving the RAV4?

Sitting in traffic, cruising the highway, or mountain twisties, it doesn't matter...

I'll take the BMW.

I only spent 5 minutes reading the original Phoenix article and some of it's links. I found it VERY difficult to not question all the variables not considered that might confound the findings.

Then, they tuck statements like this into the article(s): "While SUVs have a fatal accident rate that is 34 percent lower than the overall average,"... this implies that driving an SUV in itself will put you ahead of the game quite a bit.

I found this amusing: In Detroit, the car most likely to result in your death is the Cadillac CTS. This implies that factors other than vehicle safety ratings SHOULD be considered. https://www.iseecars.com/most-dangerous-cars-2019-study

There's always the nature-vs-nurture thing.

If responsible people buy Toyozda LeSables and don't wreck them, then parents will buy them for their 16 year old hellions, and that's going to upset the average.

Different studies, different results. IIHS HLDI pub from 2017 for 2014 and equivalent earlier models
does not rate Sportage badly. Sportage 4wd better rated than 2wd.
https://www.iihs.org/api/datastoredocument/status-report/pdf/52/3
Worst, Hyundai Accent sedan closely followed by Kia Rio sedan, Scion TC, Chevrolet Spar, Nissan Versa.
Best with zero in alphabetical order Audi A6 4wd, Audi Q7 4wd, bmw 535i/is 2wd, BMW 535xi 4wd, Jeep Cherokee 4wd, Lexus CT, Lexus RX 350 2wd, Mazda CX 9 2wd, MB M class 4wd, Tacoma Double Cab long bed 4wd, VW tiguan 2wd.

Look up tables at https://www.iihs.org/ratings/driver-death-rates-by-make-and-model

IIHS DEATH RATE REPORT 2017  page 3 ONLY.jpg

IIHS SMALL SUV DEATH RATE VARIOUS THROUGH 2014.jpg

Might consider many of these cars are also driven by younger folks more prone to the texting and driving routine. Although I have seen plenty of older drivers doing this too.

So a little over a dozen fatal accidents over a billion miles! I think that number is sufficiently small enough to not consider relative to anything else.

However, yes an inexpensive (more attractive to younger buyers who mistakenly think they need to drive fast everywhere yet lack the experience to do so, "on average" based on crash statistics aka fact) vehicle with a high center of gravity is going to be harder to drive safely.

Regardless, these modern CUVs handle MUCH better than their full framed predecessors from a couple decades ago. I won't get into the whole argument about whether they were real trucks and CUVs are just tall station wagons.
wink.gif
Each has its own merits in crash survivability, with the modern designs having much better crumple zones but that doesn't help as much as having a frame in rollover accidents, accidents that higher center of gravity vehicles are more prone towards having.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Dave9
So a little over a dozen fatal accidents over a billion miles! I think that number is sufficiently small enough to not consider relative to anything else.

However, yes an inexpensive (more attractive to younger buyers who mistakenly think they need to drive fast everywhere yet lack the experience to do so, "on average" based on crash statistics aka fact) vehicle with a high center of gravity is going to be harder to drive safely.

Regardless, these modern CUVs handle MUCH better than their full framed predecessors from a couple decades ago. I won't get into the whole argument about whether they were real trucks and CUVs are just tall station wagons.
wink.gif
Each has its own merits in crash survivability, with the modern designs having much better crumple zones but that doesn't help as much as having a frame in rollover accidents, accidents that higher center of gravity vehicles are more prone towards having.

Agree. There are too many variables to consider here.

The idea that any car is dangerous is fake news. How many vehicles with one star safety ratings are being produced today? There is also no mention of the drivers either.

The typical fake news story these days is that a SUV crashed into a building. No mention of who was driving which should be the focus of blame.

Originally Posted by RhondaHonda
Originally Posted by JLTD
Nice how they made the crash numbers small by using billion.

That's 15,600 fatal crashes for the Sportage for every million miles driven. Sounds like a lot to me. (check my math I think that's right)

The article failed to assess the demographics; but I would agree with the ine pensive vehicle being driven by younger / inexperienced drivers.

I checked your math, you went the wrong way. She used billion miles driven because the number looks so small using less miles. It's 0.0156 fatal crashes per million miles driven. If it were 15,600 per million, that would be 15.6 per 1,000 miles driven. So basically 5 fatal crashes per tank of gas driven. Deadly for sure!

Originally Posted by fdcg27
You multiplied when you should have divided.
You arrived at the fatality rate per trillion miles.

33.gif
thanks guys...."don't do math when tired and hungry"

Does it mention the $200.00 flood beaters guys buy on here.............................

The salvage title cars here that are "rebuilt" down by the Mexico boarder. There are pretty much no rules. It can have all the safety systems taken out, bent frame, who knows what else. They advertise as low miles because they switch out the dash and/or computer out of a complete wreck into some polished turd and sell it to a sucker. Potentially a real death trap, literally.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by bbhero
Curiosity question... I wonder if these results could possibly be skewed because these vehicles may well be the most sold in the last number of years??
Not saying this is the case. May well not be the case at all.

I agree with this. Notice no Rolls Royce at all in the numbers

And yet, no mention that half of all vehicular fatalities are still attributable to the driver and/or passengers not wearing their seat belts.

I think that would an important factor in toting up the death rates of vehicles, no ?

As well the deep analysis that small cars are less capable in a wreck: Duh. That has been and always will be true.

Consider the lab crashes are done and their data parameters keyed to others in a certain weight class.

No one drives in a bracketed weight class in real life.

Yes, real world stats are going to show something different in actual use, such as mentioned in the article.

So what was the purpose of all this stuff then ?

Just shows that it's still the nut behind the wheel and as someone said above, takes a human to crash it.

Standard equipment on Kia Sportage:

Dual Front Advanced Airbags
Standard

Dual Front Seat-Mounted Side Airbags
Standard

Full-Length Side Curtain Airbags
Standard

Rollover Sensor
Standard

3-Point Seat Belts for All Seating Positions
Standard

Front Seat-Belt Pretensioners
Standard

Anti-Lock Braking System (ABS), 4-Wheel Disc Brakes
Standard

Vehicle Stability Management (VSM)
Standard

Electronic Stability Control (ESC)
Standard

Traction Control System (TCS)
Standard

Electronic Brake-Force Distribution (EBD)
Standard

Brake Assist System (BAS)
Standard

Hill Start Assist Control (HAC)
Standard

Downhill Brake Control (DBC)
Standard

Tire-Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS)
Standard

Side-Impact Door Beams
Standard

Front and Rear Crumple Zones
Standard

Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children (LATCH)
Standard

Rear Child-Safety Door Locks
Standard

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Kestas
How do they collect the "miles driven" data? Nobody asked me how many miles I have on my cars.

Not sure if yearly inspections happen in AZ (they do in NH), if yes they record the mileage into databases at those points in vehicle life and can easily extrapolate. Bare minimum data in Carfax's is typically registration/title and these yearly inspections.

Last edited:
What happens when that safety feature laden Kia Sportage pulls out in front of a F250 dually pulling a 2 horse trailer at 55 mph and gets T boned? Energy, mass, indeed physics comes into play in a millisecond. I'll sacrifice a few mpg's for a larger safer car with similar safety features as the Kia.
49.gif

Originally Posted by gman2304
What happens when that safety feature laden Kia Sportage pulls out in front of a F250 dually pulling a 2 horse trailer at 55 mph and gets T boned? Energy, mass, indeed physics comes into play in a millisecond. I'll sacrifice a few mpg's for a larger safer car with similar safety features as the Kia.
49.gif

What happens when that safety feature laden F250 dually pulls out in front of a tractor trailer at 55 mph and gets T boned?

Cherry picking examples never wins.

Originally Posted by gman2304
49.gif

And I'll stick with vehicles less than 180" long and weighing under 3,500 lbs. To each his own...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back